Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789
    Quote Originally Posted by billnorman1 View Post
    As fiberglass boats age lower bolts with large washers seem to sink into the fiberglass inside the hull. If the stringer supports aren't in the way, this might solve that issue. I use two, one on top in the splashwell one inside (I think). Anyhow, new sealant of the lower bolts is in order. Relatively inexpensive.

https://www.amazon.com/Transom-Suppo...xoC2tgQAvD_BwE
    Bolt holes are about 13" on center so those would not work anyway. I cut one of the 1/2" plates down the middle long ways. Still need to drill the holes and radius or round off the corners to prevent any pressure points.
    Last edited by Delta Bass Fool; 03-25-2024 at 08:20 PM.
    '94 Charger Foxfire 180VF '96 Suzuki DT150S BASS

Marked out and ready to drill.

20240325_193936.jpg

3. Member
    Looks like you have a patent on bad luck. I'm looking at the plate outside the transom thinking a P.O. added it as a brace to a failed transom. A simple plate spanning the two lower holes no longer seems appropriate nor safe to me. Although a picture is worth 1000 words, being on site is invaluable.

You have to assess the issue.

From a distance it looks like a chain saw and Seacast is in your future along with plates inside and outside. You don't want to share your seat with an angry 150HP Suztuki doing 5000 RPM.

4. Member
    Looks like you have a patent on bad luck. I'm looking at the plate outside the transom thinking a P.O. added it as a brace to a failed transom. A simple plate spanning the two lower holes no longer seems appropriate nor safe to me. Although a picture is worth 1000 words, being on site is invaluable.

You have to assess the issue.

From a distance it looks like a chain saw and Seacast is in your future along with plates inside and outside. You don't want to share your seat with an angry 150HP Suztuki doing 5000 RPM.

Well I’m going to brace both top and bottom mounting holes inside and outside then run it several times to make sure the motor does not take a big dump on me. Won’t be doing any wake jumping knowing what I know now. I always keep my right hand on the throttle while on plane to back off as quick as possible and I’m not going to run on plane where there are submerged stumps etc that could push the engine upwards.

As is I’m still farting with this engine and making sure it will be good to go and worth putting more time and money towards building materials for the boat repairs like carpet, seating, seating area floorboard replacement etc.

Do Ranger boats come with a lifetime transom warranty?

Edit: looks like it is lifetime warranty only to the original retail purchaser.
    Last edited by Delta Bass Fool; 03-26-2024 at 10:48 AM.

6. Member
    I thought you had a Charger boat? I think that Basscat has a lifetime hull warranty, but maybe Ranger does too??

Yes it is a charger. I'm just dreaming about my next boat lol.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Delta Bass Fool View Post
    Yes it is a charger. I'm just dreaming about my next boat lol.

All 4 plates are cut with rounded corners. Need to finish drilling then install.

20240328_152907.jpg20240328_152911.jpg20240328_171512.jpg

10. Member
    Wow! Those plates are THICK!!

Quote Originally Posted by Champ 2001 View Post
    Wow! Those plates are THICK!!
    1/2” per plate.

13. Member
    Ugh, your luck isn't getting any better. Hope you find a way of getting it sorted and on the water, or scrapping it and getting something else.

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim Kelly View Post
    Ugh, your luck isn't getting any better. Hope you find a way of getting it sorted and on the water, or scrapping it and getting something else.
    You can't say he isn't trying. What does it sound like when you tap it with a ball peen hammer in different places?

What does it sound like when you tap it with a ball peen hammer in different places?
    About like it did two videos ago ;)

The two " motor/hull " have officially been divorced. Now the real fun begins :/

I need to contact Charger to see what all is involved in removing the cap incase the stringers are toast.

20240419_121838.jpg
    Last edited by Delta Bass Fool; 04-19-2024 at 06:44 PM.

@billnorman1 I could've swore that I posted this video of the ball peen hammer tapping test. Here is what it sounded like a couple of weeks ago.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?time_con...ture=emb_title

17. Member
    well I might have missed it, sorry.
    I'm not there obviously. I'd think the manufacturer sandwiched a material between the transom inner and outer fiberglass.
    Different areas, like the edge corners will not have complete fill between them.
    Places with tie downs will sound different.
    I believe tapping is a good troubleshooting technique but I never used it so I don't have the skill.
    Maybe you can find another boat like yours and check it if the owner doesn't mind you hitting it with a hammer.
    Don't get mad, but did you remove the screws from that transducer to see if water came out?
    Drilling any holes on your boat's transom below the water line can lead to trouble.
    I have seen where if you have multiple screw penetrations in the transom, and you blow compressed air into a removed screw hole, and water conmes out of a different hole there is an issue.
    Just because a transom has leaked does not always mean it's terminal.
    The classic test is applying force to the motor's cav plate and checking for flex or movement of the transom.
    I have an old PO S boat. I don't jump up and down on my cav plate, because I can't afford to junk my boat right now. I'd rather not know.

I got the engine stand built and engine hung today. Few brews later made for a nice 4:20. Happy Hippy Day

Thinking of tapping a few holes on the inside to see the extent of moisture/rot travel from the transom bolt holes. Some CPES arrived a couple days ago so it won't take much to fix if the rot has not gone past saving it.

Screenshot_20240420-180831_Gallery.jpgScreenshot_20240420-180942_Gallery.jpgScreenshot_20240420-180933_Gallery.jpg
    Last edited by Delta Bass Fool; 04-20-2024 at 08:23 PM.

well I might have missed it, sorry.
    I'm not there obviously. I'd think the manufacturer sandwiched a material between the transom inner and outer fiberglass.
    Different areas, like the edge corners will not have complete fill between them.
    Places with tie downs will sound different.
    I believe tapping is a good troubleshooting technique but I never used it so I don't have the skill.
    Maybe you can find another boat like yours and check it if the owner doesn't mind you hitting it with a hammer.
    Don't get mad, but did you remove the screws from that transducer to see if water came out?
    Drilling any holes on your boat's transom below the water line can lead to trouble.
    I have seen where if you have multiple screw penetrations in the transom, and you blow compressed air into a removed screw hole, and water conmes out of a different hole there is an issue.
    Just because a transom has leaked does not always mean it's terminal.
    The classic test is applying force to the motor's cav plate and checking for flex or movement of the transom.
    I have an old PO S boat. I don't jump up and down on my cav plate, because I can't afford to junk my boat right now. I'd rather not know.
    You did not miss it. I posted it on a different forum :/ I must have forgot to post it here or maybe I posted it in a different thread hear at BBC.

I might have to try the compressed air trick.

Edit: Found it, I did post in a different thread here at BBC. https://www.bbcboards.net/showthread...1#post13451959

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789