Thread: 2007 225HPDI

2007 225HPDI

My Yamaha finally died this weekend during a tournament. Was running back for the weighin and lost power gradually and think the motor seized.

2. Member
    Same thing with my 2007 V-max. Lost compression in one cylinder, now what to do ???

3. Member
    Id call chris carson or hydrotec and get it rebuilt. But either way, i feel bad for both of ya. Mine went 2 seasons ago, and its a sh*t feeling for sure.

4. Member
    Me too --2007 HPDI 250. Got it rebuilt--and guess what --blew again. I have had a Mercury on order since May 2018. Still waiting!!
    2007 Ranger Z21
    Yamaha SHO 250

5. Member
    Call Hydrotech, I wouldn’t hesitate to have them rebuild a motor. I’m running one of their complete rebuilds on my 2012 Z520 after my Yamaha SHO blew up and there was a huge shortage. Paid 8k, came with a year of warranty, phase 2 kit, carbon fiber reeds ect...performs really well on my Ranger. I’d do it again in a heartbeat. It’s that or pay 20K for a new motor plus warranty.

6. Member
    Ask for Wayne or Matt worthy, tell them Ryan Clark sent you.....you are more than welcome to text or call if you have any questions....417-631-5858

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lunker56 View Post
    Me too --2007 HPDI 250. Got it rebuilt--and guess what --blew again.....
    This is what would have me concerned, "blew again". Not knowing why it blew in the 1st place would really suck.
    04 Triton TR21X, 23 SHO NIZPRO'd!!!
    27p Croxton Razor 4

old rigs
    95 BassCat Pantera II, 200 XRi Merc

97 Skeeter ZX185c
    97 ProV150--KOTTMANIZED! 27M

8. Member
    How many hours before it blew again? Who did the work? When mine went it was a bad injector. Fingers crossed its been good for 2 seasons now.

9. Member
    I'll hop on the blown HPDI train. Had one go first of the year. The guys over at hydrotec are awesome. I ended up getting an ox66 and I'm rebuilding it instead.

10. Member
    For those that suffered HPDI failures;

What octane grade gasoline was being used?

What oil brand?

Was the motor propped so that it could achieve the red line RPM when the throttle was wide open with the boat loaded?

Was a hot foot being used?

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jdwo2212 View Post
    How many hours before it blew again? Who did the work? When mine went it was a bad injector. Fingers crossed its been good for 2 seasons now.
    How was that determined or known?

An injector that fails open should not do it. An injector that fails completely closed should not do it. Seems to me the injector would have to fail in just a perfect manner to cause the perfect storm of destruction. Usually when an HPDI cylinder fails the injector gets damaged from piston debris such that it is difficult to determine if the injector was at fault of not.

Just wondering.

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by yam911 View Post
    How was that determined or known?

An injector that fails open should not do it. An injector that fails completely closed should not do it. Seems to me the injector would have to fail in just a perfect manner to cause the perfect storm of destruction. Usually when an HPDI cylinder fails the injector gets damaged from piston debris such that it is difficult to determine if the injector was at fault of not.

Just wondering.
    My understanding is that these motors run on the ragged edge of being lean as it is. If you have a bad injector it isnt supplying the particular cylinder with enough fuel thus the lean condition. In my case it was detonation. As for your previous questions I run 93 non ethanol and I use quicksilver oil.

13. Member
    Mine was lean and way out of spec according to brucato. He called and asked if my number 6 is what went and i said yes. He said the injector was running lean and he figured thats what cylinder i blew. Im no mechanic personally, but my mechanic said it looked like a lean situation right away. Brucato confirmed it. As far as my situation, i bought a used boat and didnt get 20hrs on it. So i cant confirm what oil or octane was used prior to me owning it. I use 89 (mix 87 and 93 non ethanol) and run cabelas semi synthetic 2 stroke oil. Havent had an issue since rebuild and been 2 seasons. I have a 03 250hpdi, and run a 27p t1 on a 03 tr21. Just for those that want details. Fingers crossed.

14. Member
    Anyone interested, i would sell my 2007 250hp hpdi, it is a series 2 confirm by yamaha. Approx 65 hr on it.

15. Member
    My local mechanic just gave me the bad news, 9K to overhaul mine. plus i have a bent prop shaft, don't know how that happened. called HYdro Tec saw there was a rebuilt for sale but i am too late.....Man this sucks.

For those that suffered HPDI failures;

What octane grade gasoline was being used? mid range

What oil brand? 90% of time used yamaha

Was the motor propped so that it could achieve the red line RPM when the throttle was wide open with the boat loaded? Yes

Was a hot foot being used?no

16. Member
    Have hydrotec or chris carson do your rebuild. It wont be 9k.