Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

New Owner --'97 202 w/ 225 ProMax -- Pics and Questions

Hello all,

I am new(ish) to the board and recently purchased a 1997 202. It is insanely clean (I thought) and I and pretty pumped about the purchase. I know you guys appreciate pictures so I'll attach some for you guys.

I also have some questions: Currently the whole boat is on a 36v system. So the 36v trolling motor is using two deep cycle TM batteries and then is also using the Starting/Cranking Battery. It is my intention to add another battery to the back compartment so TM has its own batteries. The guy also threw in some Talon brackets so some point down the road I'm thinking of putting talons on it which is about like adding two more batteries. I wanted to know if anyone has this setup and if it really lifts the front end up. I know the front end is naturally up a little bit on the 202 cause its narrower up front so just curious if anyone experienced a noticeable difference? Thanks!

FB_IMG_1553269514683.jpgFB_IMG_1553269517776.jpgFB_IMG_1553269522225.jpgFB_IMG_1553269525241.jpgFB_IMG_1553269528174.jpgFB_IMG_1553269535893.jpgFB_IMG_1553269542989.jpgFB_IMG_1553269549378.jpg

2. Champion Boats Moderator Lea's Avatar
    Welcome !!! Congrats on the 202! It really looks good! I am sure folks will be along to help shortly."

3. Member
    Nice rig. If you want to keep the weight down, go to a 80 lb Fortrex 24v. I would not use my starting battery in conjunction with other batteries. That is a good way to be stranded when your starting battery is worn down from trolling motor/ livewell / electronics / bilge maybe use.

4. Member
    If you want to keep the 36V use all deep cycle trolling batteries. I run a 24V trolling motor and have only ran 2 batteries in my boat for years. Never had any problems.

5. Born on th Llano Estacado Tx Champ's Avatar
    Sweet looking rig!! Looks well cared for

Quote Originally Posted by ohsnags View Post
    ...I would not use my starting battery in conjunction with other batteries. That is a good way to be stranded when your starting battery is worn down from trolling motor/ livewell / electronics / bilge maybe use.

Don't know that I'd add more weight in the back of a rear tank 202, especially if you're thinking of Talons. You definitely don't want to use your cranking for trolling. Depending on your electronics, I think I would consider Xi5 or Ultrex with Anchor/Spot Lock. I know the Xi5 is available in a 24v 80# thrust which is plenty. On the Minnkota, it's the Terrova

6. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Tx Champ View Post
    Sweet looking rig!! Looks well cared for

Don't know that I'd add more weight in the back of a rear tank 202, especially if you're thinking of Talons. You definitely don't want to use your cranking for trolling. Depending on your electronics, I think I would consider Xi5 or Ultrex with Anchor/Spot Lock. I know the Xi5 is available in a 24v 80# thrust which is plenty. On the Minnkota, it's the Terrova
    This^^^^
    A 24v 80# tm anyday over adding another battery and talons.

Congratulations on the boat sweet ride

Pretty sure that's the rig that was for sale out of Dyna Prop in Cape Fair Missouri a few years ago. I looked at it and it's a nice rig. That ProMax is going to like that hull as light as you can keep her so keep your gear distributed out evenly and "less is more". Pat will be along to help with your set up. That's going to be the wrong engine for that hull if you're wanting to hang a bunch of stuff of the back. A 24V TM is all you really need for that hull unless you fish strong current rivers a lot.

8. Member
    Yeah, the current configuration is how it came, and I agree it is just a waiting game until I get left somewhere I don't want to be . Have only had it out in a couple 4 hour increments so far so definitely not tested for a full day of fishing yet. The 36v moves it around pretty quick so I did wonder if dropping to an 80 lb thrust would do the trick. Sounds like that may be the route to take.

9. Member
    24 volt will move it just fine , I have a 203 with fortrex 80 and have no issues. Figure each talon is 40lbs that promax will not like that , if you put them on figure on dropping down at least 1 pitch maybe 2 to keep the rpms up. Good luck with it. nice rig

wow great looking boat love the colors

2009 ELITE 210

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by scotty34 View Post
    24 volt will move it just fine , I have a 203 with fortrex 80 and have no issues. Figure each talon is 40lbs that promax will not like that , if you put them on figure on dropping down at least 1 pitch maybe 2 to keep the rpms up. Good luck with it. nice rig
    Thanks Scotty. Currently it has a Tempest Plus 23P prop on it. Also has a Hydraulic jackplate, which will take some getting used to for me. Never been in/drove a boat with one before so I look forward to utilizing it.

12. Member
    Beautuful rig, what a great find! 23P sounds way under propped for that 225 ProMax. I would make sure that the tach is working properly and keep a close eye on it! That baby needs something steeper like a 25P . My 99’ 191DC with a Johnny 200 turns a 25P A45 to 5700 rpms at 68 mph on gps lightly loaded.

13. Member
    The biggest thing is your going to have to get out and run it. I bet is going go be a screamer!

Nice boat.

15. Member
    What a sweet rig you got! I would be talking to Mark Croxton in Shelbyville Indiana about props.

16. Pat Goff
    That 2.5 promax is not happy trying to push a big load.
    You’ll want it to run at the top of its rpm range 6,200 or so. Does it have standard gear case or sportmaster? Let’s hope standard.

Because that motor doesn’t have a big amount of grunt you’ll want to setup to run high and flat. I’d be trying a M or cut down tempest.

Just remember to keep the girl on a diet and she’s going to be sporty.
    Pat Goff

Two degrees from center
    of nowhere.
    Smithwick TX.

[SIGPIC][<a href=http://www.bbcboards.net/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=583&dateline=1498828542/SIGPIC] target=_blank>http://www.bbcboards.net/image.php?t...828542/SIGPIC]</a>

17. Member
    Thanks for the replies. I was planning on buying a brand new prop and using the current as a spare so I will do some research. Seems like a lot of people here use a 25P on their 202's based on the owners list so probably leaning that direction. Where I live we fish more smaller lakes, but I do travel to St. Clair/Great Lakes some and bigger water in Northern MI, so being a screamer isn't necessarily priority 1 (although nice ) . I need to get out and run it some more, hopefully this weekend, but decent weather has been hard to come by up here so far this "spring"

I don't have much in it as far as actual gear, but I'll definitely try and keep the weight down based on the comments. I'll post some speed/rpm info hopefully this weekend and see what you guys think.

Thanks!

I have a 25p 4blade on my 202.. mounted on a 225efi Merc

19. Member
    Good morning Team, Jimmy from Tampa, FL, here I am a new boater. I acquired a 1997 Ranger 518DVS the motor blown. I have found a 200 HP Mercury OptiMax for $6,479.00 and 2013 Mercury OptiMAx Pro XS approx 650 hrs the seller is asking $9000.00 Which is the better buy and honestly what questions should I ask?

Thanks,
    Jimmy

20. Pat Goff
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Aldridge View Post
    Good morning Team, Jimmy from Tampa, FL, here I am a new boater. I acquired a 1997 Ranger 518DVS the motor blown. I have found a 200 HP Mercury OptiMax for $6,479.00 and 2013 Mercury OptiMAx Pro XS approx 650 hrs the seller is asking $9000.00 Which is the better buy and honestly what questions should I ask?

Thanks,
    Jimmy
    Jimmy, you're on the Champion owners page. We typically will have no clue or opinion what works on your ranger.
    We will just wish you luck and hope for better decisions going further in your life.
    Pat Goff

Two degrees from center
    of nowhere.
    Smithwick TX.

[SIGPIC][<a href=http://www.bbcboards.net/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=583&dateline=1498828542/SIGPIC] target=_blank>http://www.bbcboards.net/image.php?t...828542/SIGPIC]</a>

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast