Thread: Speed issues

Speed issues

Just bought a 2018 21trx and disappointed at this point with speed. I’m reading many talking about low to mid 70’sbut on my only trip, loaded except live wells empty with passenger I saw 63 and 5200 rpm tops-and took a mile to get that. I just had a Phoenix and same exact equipment I would get 70 easy and maybe 72 with just the right ripple on the water. Anybody have same issues and fix them. Front center box has all crankbaits but is full but just one layer maybe 15 boxes left and right front lockers maybe 10lb in each box. Driver rear box maybe 35 lb plastics and passenger rear box empty. 200lb driver and 135lb passenger bow got no lift and boat just felt heavy in the water. I have 2 power poles and 25 3 Fury.

2. Member
    Get you a 25 or 26 tempest and send it to mark .
    i can't break 70 with a fury,the tempest run 73-75 and I can't get ove 5700

3. Member
    Mark ????

4. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Llandrum View Post
    Mark ????
    Mark Croxton, like mentioned tempest plus is the way to go. You are not turning enough rpm, jackplate may not be set right but you definitely need to switch props.

5. Member
    Do you know if the Fury you're running has been worked any? You're a few thousand RMP's too low if that's as high as you can get it at WOT
    '13 Triton 19SE 225 Pro XS
    '09 Chevy Silverado Z71

6. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by duracraftman View Post
    Do you know if the Fury you're running has been worked any? You're a few thousand RMP's too low if that's as high as you can get it at WOT
    A few thousand????

Another thought, since the 14 model 21trx that was recalled these boats are heavier. On my 21 and 22 I had no bow lift and installed wedges and that really help my lift even more. It’s a cheap investment and easy to install.

7. Member
    Thanks for advice. I’ll look into wedges and borrow a couple of props. Another item is when below About 20mph the boat lists to one side or the other. Is this common

8. Banned
    Every one I’ve had did that, they don’t like going slow.

9. Member
    The wedges might help but you can add bow lift by working the prop for bow or stern lift

10. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by gambler4 View Post
    The wedges might help but you can add bow lift by working the prop for bow or stern lift
    Spend 3-4 hundred on working a prop or spend 30$ for wedges, cheaper to start with wedges.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Llandrum View Post
    Just bought a 2018 21trx and disappointed at this point with speed. I’m reading many talking about low to mid 70’sbut on my only trip, loaded except live wells empty with passenger I saw 63 and 5200 rpm tops-and took a mile to get that. I just had a Phoenix and same exact equipment I would get 70 easy and maybe 72 with just the right ripple on the water. Anybody have same issues and fix them. Front center box has all crankbaits but is full but just one layer maybe 15 boxes left and right front lockers maybe 10lb in each box. Driver rear box maybe 35 lb plastics and passenger rear box empty. 200lb driver and 135lb passenger bow got no lift and boat just felt heavy in the water. I have 2 power poles and 25 3 Fury.
    I was having some of the same issues that you are describing with the "heavy feel" and lack of bow lift. Tested numerous setups and props, hope this might help.

2017 21TRX w/dual consoles.
    2017 Mercury 250 ProXS 2 Stroke w/Gen 2 TM 1.75:1.
    10" Atlas hydraulic jackplate w/ 2 degree wedges for positive trim.
    (2) Power Pole 8' Blades.
    Motorguide 109 TE 36V.
    (2) HDS 12's w/ Smartcraft engine data.
    (3) Battle Born 100 Ah lithium batteries for 36V trolling motor.
    (1) NorthStar Group 31 battery for outboard cranking and accessories.
    (1) Minn Kota Precision MK 460 PC 4 bank onboard charger.
    No water in the livewells.
    42 gallons of fuel.
    215 Driver - no passenger.

I pack a fair amount of tackle and gear. I would consider my boat load heavy. These were the first test runs I made since I replaced my three Trojan SCS 225 batteries for three Battle Born 100 Ah lithium batteries. By replacing my Trojan batteries at 66 lbs each = 198 lbs for the Battle Born lithium's 29 lbs each = 87 lbs, I removed 111 lbs from the rear engine compartment. I noticed a big improvement on the hole shot and mid range acceleration. My top end speed improved about 1 mph.

Test Run Information - Sunday 12/10/2017.
    Lake Whatcom - deep clear lake - elevation 312 feet above sea level.
    Light chop - good running conditions.
    Air temperature 45 degrees.
    Surface water temperature 46 degrees.
    Prop to pad measurements were based on the best speed and performance from each prop.
    Speed readings from HDS 12 / Point 1 GPS.
    Engine RPM data from Smartcraft linked to HDS 12.

25P Fury 3 blade - stock prop w/ no vent plugs, all holes open.
    3 ½” prop to pad.
    5900 + RPM's.
    Water pressure 20 PSIG +.
    75.6 MPH.
    Hole shot excellent / bow lift average.

25P Fury 3 blade - minor work by Mark Croxton w/ no vent plugs, all holes open.
    3 ½” prop to pad.
    5900 + RPM's.
    76.2 MPH.
    Holeshot excellent / bow lift average.

26P Tempest Plus 3 blade - repitched to 25P B&B by Mark Croxton w/ 3 large vent plugs.
    3" prop to pad.
    5900 + RPM's.
    76.2 MPH.
    Hole shot good - minor ventilation at break over / bow lift good.

The reworked 26P to 25P Tempest Plus had a little more bow lift but the reworked 25P Fury had a better overall feel and a little bit quicker hole shot. With a passenger and a little more gear load, the reworked 26P to 25P Tempest Plus might be the better performer.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Test Run Information – Sunday 3/10/2019
    Lake Whatcom – deep clear lake – elevation 312 feet above sea level.
    Light chop – excellent running conditions.
    Air temperature 49 degrees.
    Surface water temperature 43 degrees.
    Prop to pad measurements were based on the best speed and performance from each prop.

24P Fury 3 blade – Cup added and B&B by Mark Croxton w/ no vent plugs, all holes open.
    3 ½” prop to pad.
    5900 + RPM’s.
    74.5 MPH.
    Hole shot excellent / bow lift good.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Test Run Information – Saturday 3/16/2019
    Lake Whatcom – deep clear lake – elevation 312 feet above sea level.
    Light chop – good running conditions.
    Air temperature 54 degrees.
    Surface water temperature 43 degrees.

24P Fury 3 blade – stock prop w/ no vent plugs, all holes open.
    3 ½” prop to pad.
    6000 RPM’s.
    74 MPH.
    Holeshot excellent / bow lift average.

26P Tempest Plus 3 blade – B&B and cup added by Mark Croxton w/ 3 large vent plugs.
    2 ¾” prop to pad.
    5900 RPM’s
    Water pressure 20 PSIG +
    75.5 MPH
    Hole shot good – minor ventilation at break over / bow lift good.
    **Below 2 ¾” prop to pad, RPM’s increased slightly but the MPH started to drop off.

12. Member
    There is no doubt that the Tempest Plus carries a load better unless you have the Fury worked. I have a 25P Fury 4 that I'm going to test once I get a break from my early tournament schedule. A friend of mine has been running one on his 2017 21TRX and likes how it performs for hole shot, mid range and load carrying ability. The top end is down about 2 mph from his 25P Fury 3. My 2014 21TRX that was replaced was a better running boat. I too have been slightly disappointed with my 2017's performance. As far as the rest of the boat, I couldn't be happier.

13. Member
    I’d would check to make sure your throttle is opening 100%

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TritonMan250 View Post
    A few thousand????

Another thought, since the 14 model 21trx that was recalled these boats are heavier. On my 21 and 22 I had no bow lift and installed wedges and that really help my lift even more. It’s a cheap investment and easy to install.
    Whoops, I meant few hundred
    '13 Triton 19SE 225 Pro XS
    '09 Chevy Silverado Z71

15. Member
    Good info

16. Member
    If your turning 5200 rpms, you have an engine problem, or your set up it totally wrong. Sounds like you are missing a cylinder, or not getting full throttle.

17. Member
    Just going over this thread and thought I'd put in my 2 cents. Make sure your set up is right with your jackplate if you're running one. Triton's like the prop further into the water than many lighter boats. I have a 15 model TRX21 with an Atlas Hydraulic Plate. My rig runs best with plenty of lift when my jackplate is set down on 5, much lower than what I would set it on other lighter boats. Also, the hole shot seems to be best when set on 10. If you run your jackplate too high on these boats, you'll plow. I don't have the positive trim wedges, but have heard from friends running them that it helps a lot.