Recessed trolling motor tray

Gonna install one on my 201 is there anything under floor I need watch out for? Thanks
    JEFF
    TALBOTT,TN
    VIPER COBRA 201
    Mercury pro xs

Hey Jeff, did it on my '99 201 and plan on doing it to my "new to me" 2000 201. On the `99, all I saw under the cutout area was flotation foam that I had to cut out to make room for the tray. Once that is done, you will also need to poke a hole through the remaining layer of foam to get a hose down to the inside of the hull for drainage. After you've cut the deck, and before you install your tray, seal the cut deck edges with some sort of resin to protect from water infiltration, deck is probably made with fiberglass encapsulated balsa plywood. Also, run a bead of sealant around the lip of the tray and put a dab under each screw head while setting and securing the tray in place, I use Permatex black sealant/adhesive. This will eliminate any chance of water seeping under the lip of the tray, through the carpet fibers, and dripping down, secretly saturating the flotation foam. Easy job, just take your time and measure 6 times before you start cutting. Good luck
    2000 VIPER COBRA 201D /225 Merc EFI SER: 0T054298
    Where does the white go when the snow melts?

Quote Originally Posted by hookahawg View Post
    Hey Jeff, did it on my '99 201 and plan on doing it to my "new to me" 2000 201. On the `99, all I saw under the cutout area was flotation foam that I had to cut out to make room for the tray. Once that is done, you will also need to poke a hole through the remaining layer of foam to get a hose down to the inside of the hull for drainage. After you've cut the deck, and before you install your tray, seal the cut deck edges with some sort of resin to protect from water infiltration, deck is probably made with fiberglass encapsulated balsa plywood. Also, run a bead of sealant around the lip of the tray and put a dab under each screw head while setting and securing the tray in place, I use Permatex black sealant/adhesive. This will eliminate any chance of water seeping under the lip of the tray, through the carpet fibers, and dripping down, secretly saturating the flotation foam. Easy job, just take your time and measure 6 times before you start cutting. Good luck

That's exactly how I did mine. Worked like a charm. Lots of foam under there.

Tom

4. Member
    Thanks guys.
    JEFF
    TALBOTT,TN
    VIPER COBRA 201
    Mercury pro xs