Opinions on Suzuki 250ss, good or bad.

Real close to ordering a 250ss to put on a 2006 Z21, opinions of people running this motor would be appreciated. Almost everything I read is positive. Thanks.

2. Member
    suzuki does everything well (but autos) I believe-- I wouldn't hesitate if a good dealer was close--lots of them on b.a.s.s. basscats this year
    Last edited by mactlman; 04-07-2019 at 03:27 PM.
    2022 z519 cup 225 merc 4s ser # 3B210484. 2--hds12 live units. 2 poles, atlas plate, ghost, hamby's, active target, merc digital gauges
    2002 basscat pantera 3 (dad bought new) sold 8-2-22
    2000 stratos 20 ss (bought new) 200 hp Rude ficht great boat/motor sold 11-21
    pulled by a 2500HD Denali
    proud dad of an ARMY Captain
    MAGA
    ASE/GM Master tech before tools

3. Member
    Where are you at in Oklahoma? I have a 250ss on my 210 Super Pro Procraft. I can get 70 with 2 guys and gear. I could get more, but I'm no speed demon
    It has lots of torque, good mpg, and quiet until you mash it. I'm happy with my purchase. 3 years so far with no issues.

4. Member
    The motor is strong and reliable, but finding a prop that gives you comparable top end speeds for the same boat/hull with a different power plant is frustrating at times. I feel that the props that Suzuki currently recommends for the 250SS are not well suited for bass boats. I lucked out and found an over & through exhaust 4 bladed Suzuki prop that is 14.5 x 28, but has a smaller barrel and taller rakes and it performs like a totally different boat with that prop compared to the 28P prop recommended by Suzuki which has a larger barrel and smaller rakes. Unfortunately, it doesn't have a part number on it or I'd share it with everyone, but I believe that the guy who I purchased it from was using it on a Suzuki DF150.
    2018 Bass Cat Lynx w/Suzuki 250SS.

5. Member
    Right on props, I'm pretty sure powertech made the old models. I have the larger 14.5 or 14.75 28 pitch, then have a newer 28 14.25 Suzuki. The bigger one performs much better overall...If I keep my boat a long time, I'd like to try a Bravo with Suzuki hub.

6. Member
    I love my suzuki 250ss on my Triton. It is hard to find the right prop for it but man it is the best decision i have made as far going 4 stroke. I run a 28p suzuki prop that is made by turbo propeller. The prop is identical to the txp-ot4 wtihout the vent holes on the prop. the 28p is a little too much prop for my rig. Other than that its a fantastic motor!
    Stratos 201 Pro Elite, Evinrude 200 Etec H.O., Minn Kota, Humminbird

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bubba201proxl View Post
    I love my suzuki 250ss on my Triton. It is hard to find the right prop for it but man it is the best decision i have made as far going 4 stroke. I run a 28p suzuki prop that is made by turbo propeller. The prop is identical to the txp-ot4 wtihout the vent holes on the prop. the 28p is a little too much prop for my rig. Other than that its a fantastic motor!
    Is your prop an over and through exhaust style which has a smaller barrel and taller rakes? If so, that is probably the same prop that I found and my boat/motor respond well to it unlike the recommended Suzuki props of today.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by booter View Post
    Is your prop an over and through exhaust style which has a smaller barrel and taller rakes? If so, that is probably the same prop that I found and my boat/motor respond well to it unlike the recommended Suzuki props of today.
    yes sir it is. Turbo propeller makes the prop that i have for the suzuki. I found that the txp ot-4 is the same blade diameter and size as the suzuki prop. So i will be either selling this one to get another or keeping it as a spare. I havent decided yet.

9. Member
    I just got done looking at the Turbo Prop as well. I may give that a shot this year because I am unhappy with my Suzuki props.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jake520 View Post
    I just got done looking at the Turbo Prop as well. I may give that a shot this year because I am unhappy with my Suzuki props.
    Jake, I think that you would be happier with a 27P or 28P Turbo OT4 prop. Based on what Bubba is saying about how Turbo use to make the props for Suzuki and the boat tests were probably done with those props vice the current lineup, that explains why people are not getting anywhere near the performance out of the 250SS based on the year and model of test boats. My boat was able to touch 71 with that 28P turbo style prop and I still had plenty of throttle left. The only reason I didn't push it more because it was starting to chine walk and I'm not comfortable driving it that way yet. Additionally, I had my new 27P Suzuki prop blue printed and the guys said the cupping was uneven on all of the blades and needed quite a bit of work. I have yet to run that prop since being reworked, but I'm sure it'll be better than it was last season.

If anybody is interested in getting their prop blue printed, I recommend Propeller Dynamics out of Richmond, VA. They charged me $200 plus $25 shipping to blueprint my prop and send it back to me. From what I hear, quite a few of the pros send their props to them to be worked on FWIW.

11. Member
    If my new prop works out then I'm going to sell my 28p suzuki (turbo txp-ot4) prop. Its too much pitch for my application so if any of you guys would be interested let me know. drop me a PM and we can discuss price for it.

12. Member
    I am about to repower. Pretty much done with the other 'black motor'. Continuously in the shop. It has low hours for an older motor and not abused.....but I am. I am running a 21 foot older Ranger, a little on the heavy side for boats these days. Thinking about the 200 as compared to the 250 for a couple of reasons. Actually 4000 reasons difference out the door. I don't need 70 mph anymore but would like the low 60's. Any comments on the 200 on the 21 foot Ranger.

13. Member
    Did you price out a Yamaha or Evinrude in a 225? I think that you would disappointed with a 200SS on a Ranger IMO.

14. Member
    Dude, I'd go 225 minimum. My friend has a 492, and it runs 67 or 68 with a 225. It is slow out of the hole. I'd say a 200 would be a slug unless you propped it just for low torque. Btw I love his 492. Has to be one of the best rides I've seen.
    Last edited by procraftokie; 05-23-2019 at 06:21 AM.

15. Member
    Have been out of pocket for a couple of weeks. I think procraftokie and booter are right on the 200. Everything I've come across says 225 or larger. Since the Suzuki jumps to the 250ss I'm probably going to go that route. I was on Sm Rayburn the past few days and the other black motor just gave me fits. It got me back but that's where it stopped. Need to wait a couple of months financially but I now know its where I'm going . Thanks to all for the input.