Panfish Forum Moderator SOONER*REDNECK's Avatar

Best Micro Reel?

Looking for a light reel for my two new BNM rods that are rear seat. I know a lot of you all use the BNM reels. What is everyone using and what is your opinion on them? These are both 10 foot rods so will be strictly for vertical jigging. I have messed around with a couple of the MR. Crappie reels but thats it. I know K. Rogers recommends the bass pro crappie max. Is it worth the $25?
    Fisher 1710C - Mercury 60 Horse 4 stroke
    **Crappie Fishing Fool**

I stick with 500 series Shimano's. Very reliable and will outlast several rods.
    "Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

3. Member
    Check out different reels! See which one balances the rod best for you!

4. Member
    I have a mix of 500 series Daiwa's, Shimano's and Pfluger's. I like the Pfluegers best as they are the lightest but the others are good too.

5. Member
    I've got Pflueger Trions on all my vertical fishing rods. They are $30 on Amazon but you might shop around and find them cheaper. I just like something with a decent drag on jigging poles since I don't cast with them. For a casting rod they wouldn't be my choice but for dropping a jig into a brush pile they work fine.

6. Member
    Grizzly Jig offers a baitcast style reel in the same price point as the BPS one Kevin references. It is the Grizzly Elite, I like the fact that it has a level-wind also. Metal gears (at least mine does), hold up pretty well I would say. Mine are 7-8 years old. For a spinning reel to only vertical jig with (better for deeper waters IMO) I probably would go with a small Shimano Sienna 500 or 1000. $30 anywhere, good reel, I have several that are getting long in the tooth w/o issue.

7. Panfish Forum Moderator SOONER*REDNECK's Avatar
    Thanks for all the replies. I think i may go with either the Grizzly or BPS model. I will post a review.
    Fisher 1710C - Mercury 60 Horse 4 stroke
    **Crappie Fishing Fool**