mikesxpress

Composite spare prop for 250hp ProXS V8

While I've been fortunate enough to have never had an on the water propeller issue, I am considering keeping a composite prop on board in case I sling a blade or other... I don't want the additional weight of another SS prop. Has anyone found a composite prop to use in emergency situations?

2. Banned
    I'd just be carrying an aluminum prop if I needed to carry a spare.

3. mikesxpress
    That is my 2nd option.

4. Member
    I tried a composite prop for my 225 Yamaha 225 efi and I tore a blade off under acceleration and the same thing happened with the replacement prop. This was in 2005 so I don't know if they have been improved since then.
    2018 Z521L 250 PRO XS V8

5. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Having used both composite and aluminum props (extensively), I would opt for an aluminum prop. 1 Pitch point higher than what you normally run would get you through the day/weekend.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor