Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Member
    Well, I learned something. I would've been out there with needle nose and screwdrivers trying to push the latch when right there on the back you can do it pretty easy. Good info

2. Member
    Living the good life on Lake Hartwell, Fair Play, SC
    carry a tool box with you on the water with tools in it that you would normally use on a day to day basis while tinkering around on your boat in the garage. Weigh the tool box when you are done and I'll bet it's no more than 10LB max. Mine weighs 10LB exactly. We all carry a butt ton of tackle yet neglect to carry a few basic tools. Got a spare prop? Not many do. Got a spare hub?? YOu spin a prop nut off and there goes the hub too. How about a jump pack in your truck? I've got a Micro-start that is awesome. https://themicrostart.com/xp-10/ In fact I've never used for myself but I'll bet at least a dozen times for guys on and off the water. But it's small enough to put it under your truck seat or in the glove box in the boat.
    2013 Allison XB-21 BasSport Pro
    2023 Mercury Racing 300R
    Bravo FS 30P
    ProMax 30P

3. Member
    To further this discussion (or notification), there is another scenario that happened to me with a Fortrex a few years ago and I posted at that time on the board regarding having a 1/4" Allen Wrench available. In my case the screw portion of the cross member pulled out of the lift assist piston, jamming the mount in the deployed position. The ONLY solution was to remove the Allen screw, lift the motor section and lay inside the boat. After that I was able to get back to the ramp and load up. At the shop, it took me and the mechanic 1-1/2 hrs to be able to dislodge the lift assembly sufficient to access the bolts holding the mount to the boat.

4. Member
    yeah that would suck
    2023 Mercury Racing 300R
    Bravo FS 30P
    ProMax 30P

5. Member
    As a boat owner/tourney angler ya gotta carry some tools with ya
    nothing worse than a breakdown on a fishing trip
    especially in a tourney
    Spare tm prop and shaft pin
    spare tm rope, etc

6. Member
    AND on top of what slump just stated, nothing worse than being on a several week vacation at a lake and something needs fixin. I have to laugh at myself when I look in the back of the truck bed and there's more tools and tackle than luggage. BUT, the stuff I carry has saved a few vacations that otherwise I'd of had to go home. Also, if you are going to be far from home on a vacation or even week long tourny trip acclimate yourself ahead of time to the area businesses that may serve you in case of an emergency. I needed service on my trailer one year while at hartwell. Thankfully I called a few dealerships ahead of time to find out what services they provide and one Ranger dealer told me about a tire and trailer business up the road that handles all his work. That business saved me a breakdown when he discovered my inner sidewalls going bad on two tires. I felt something while traveling down there but thought it was my truck.
    2023 Mercury Racing 300R
    Bravo FS 30P
    ProMax 30P

Quote Originally Posted by rat0502 View Post
    The part to push forward is metal, not plastic. It is item 452 on the parts diagram for the 80 and 112 ultrex and is called the latch bar. I called it the release bar mistakenly. The part the cable pulls on looks like plastic, and it moves the latch bar. Either way, you want to push the metal bar, that has the ears that keep it locked down, forward and then lift. Nothing to break because you are only doing what the cable pull would do just not as conveniently.
    No, it IS plastic. I have replaced mine and carry a spare.
    Ranger Boats / Mercury Motors
    G Loomis Rods / Shimano Reels
    Raymarine / MinnKota Ultrex
    Garmin / Live Scope Plus
    Pepper Jigs / Robo Worms
    Troll Bridge / V-T2 Vents

Quote Originally Posted by LOSTTEXAN View Post
    I carry a tool bag in my truck at all times and when the boat launches the toolbag launches.
    The tool bag has end wrenches, sockets and Allen wrenches, all are both SAE and metric and way too much stuff to list, but ranges from duct tape, claw hammer, volt meter, zip ties, various pliers, screwdrivers flashlight, etc , etc. Damn thing weighs at least 20-25 pounds.

You never know what or where or when you will find yourself up $hit creek, but I will go down swinging.
    Yep, I do the same. I also carry a Cheap (Harbor Freight) Volt/Ohm meter. You'd be surprised how often you use it !!
    Ranger Boats / Mercury Motors
    G Loomis Rods / Shimano Reels
    Raymarine / MinnKota Ultrex
    Garmin / Live Scope Plus
    Pepper Jigs / Robo Worms
    Troll Bridge / V-T2 Vents

Heck, I carry a complete spare trolling motor, built in air compressor with a hammer, floor jack, drive on jack, 30k # tow rope and more hand tools than a Snap-on tool salesman with the big truck. A typical fishing trip for me is days long and hundreds of miles from home. BUT, we were in my buddy’s boat and tow vehicle.
    ‘22 Ranger Z520R - Mercury 250 Pro XS
    Humminbird/Minn Kota One Boat Network

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sirius Rich View Post
    Heck, I carry a complete spare trolling motor, built in air compressor with a hammer, floor jack, drive on jack, 30k # tow rope and more hand tools than a Snap-on tool salesman with the big truck. A typical fishing trip for me is days long and hundreds of miles from home. BUT, we were in my buddy’s boat and tow vehicle.
    EXCELLENT approach, I carry two spares and two hub kits ready to go, AND A SPARE TM as well.
    If it can go wrong, it will.
    You Don't Know what you Don't Know until you Know.

1984 Champion 201/Yamaha 175
    1986 Ranger 390v/Yamaha 200
    2002 Viper Cobra Coosa 216/Mercury 225EFI
    2002 ProSports ProKat 2200/Twin Yamaha 150HPDIs

11. Member
    Not sure if I am totally understanding the thread. I broke my pull cable prior to take off at the last BFL. I was able to use my hands to release the latch (push forward) and my co-angler would pull the motor up. You could do it with one person, but it was difficult. We probably did this 10+ times throughout the day. I just kept reminding him that my fingers were in there, so GO SLOW lol.

12. Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Sirius Rich View Post
    Hypothetical Question

In the following scenario what would you do?

1. You are 5 miles from the ramp.
    2. You had to plow with the big motor and lift your Ultrex up to make it across two sand bars to get to a very remote section of a creek where normal people don’t go.
    3. Between you and the ramp there are the two sand bars and a gazillion hardwood stumps just below the surface.
    4. After fishing for awhile you decide to put the boat on the trailer.
    5. You attempt to bring up your Ultrex and the cable breaks.
    6. Your Ultrex is in the deployed position and locked.
    7. You have a pair of dikes and pliers only.
    8. How do you get to the ramp?
    Pretty sure you can still lift and stow the trolling motor with a broke cable... either retie the pull cord, or find the armature that needs to be pulled and pull it with your pliers or a wedged screwdriver.

Quote Originally Posted by bassburch View Post
    Pretty sure you can still lift and stow the trolling motor with a broke cable... either retie the pull cord, or find the armature that needs to be pulled and pull it with your pliers or a wedged screwdriver.
    Post # 13

I checked that out today. With the motor deployed, you can see the stainless steel mechanism inside the mount on the aft end of the mount.
    Just push that forward with your finger and it will unlatch the front so you can stow the trolling motor by pulling on the head.

Look at it and pull the cable and you will see how it works.

I'll add a picture of it after I download it from my phone.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12