Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Nissan Titan XD 5.0 Cummins Review

Got my new boat pulled end of December. Now that hard water is off I’ve had a chance to pull the boat and get out to the lake with it a few times as well as my fifth wheel.

Pulled the fifth wheel a couple weeks ago and it handled it really really well. Went about 100 miles round trip down the highway and interstate. I ran 70 on the highway and 75 on the interstate. There are some decent hills that are not strap but longer. Truck never had to down shift and held speed with ease. Overall I got 10.6 mpg out of the 5.0 Cummins. My fifth wheel weighs in at 9400 lbs.

Pulled the boat today 200 miles round trip and ran 50% highway and 50% interstate. Interstate I ran 80 and highway 60. Hand calculated mileage at 14.3 mpg. My f150 was usually between 10 and 11 mph with my ecoboost. My boat is a ranger z119c on a tandem for reference.

Overall I have been extremely impressed with this truck and how well it handled the fifth wheel. It is definitely more truck than the typicall half ton and fits it’s nich perfectly.

Nissan designed the truck for a guy like me and it is perfect. I wanted a 259 superduty but when I could by a Nissan new vs a superduty with 100k miles I am glad I made the choice I did.

I hope this this helps anyone out that may be considering a truck like this or is in a situation where they want more truck but don’t want to bite the 3/4 ton price bullet.

That Titan is as big and heavy as a F250 , I think it weighs around 7,400 lbs .

3. BBC SPONSOR
    Yep, we've got the Rocky Ridge Titans with the Cummins and they're awesome.

5. Member
    I have a Titan XD as well with the Cummins and its an underated truck IMO. Nissan could've done a few things better, but it's not as bad as people make it out to be.
    2018 Bass Cat Lynx w/Suzuki 250SS.

6. Member
    Was that Nissan 4 wheel drive

7. Member
    Yes mine is 4x4.

8. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by LTZ25 View Post
    That Titan is as big and heavy as a F250 , I think it weighs around 7,400 lbs .
    My F250 with the 7.3 diesel engine and two wheel drive crewcab weighs 7,000 lbs.

I know a guy that owns one and he complains about his quite a bit. 1 thing he’s always saying is it can’t get out of its own way, says its slow from a stop. I haven’t drove it, nice looking truck imo.

10. Member
    been weighing it for my next truck down the line. I like the idea of a diesel pickup without going huge. Cant buy a dodge again, the thing has been a disaster.
    06 Stratos 294 ProXL

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ksubasser24 View Post
    Got my new boat pulled end of December. Now that hard water is off I’ve had a chance to pull the boat and get out to the lake with it a few times as well as my fifth wheel.

Pulled the fifth wheel a couple weeks ago and it handled it really really well. Went about 100 miles round trip down the highway and interstate. I ran 70 on the highway and 75 on the interstate. There are some decent hills that are not strap but longer. Truck never had to down shift and held speed with ease. Overall I got 10.6 mpg out of the 5.0 Cummins. My fifth wheel weighs in at 9400 lbs.

Pulled the boat today 200 miles round trip and ran 50% highway and 50% interstate. Interstate I ran 80 and highway 60. Hand calculated mileage at 14.3 mpg. My f150 was usually between 10 and 11 mph with my ecoboost. My boat is a ranger z119c on a tandem for reference.

Overall I have been extremely impressed with this truck and how well it handled the fifth wheel. It is definitely more truck than the typicall half ton and fits it’s nich perfectly.

Nissan designed the truck for a guy like me and it is perfect. I wanted a 259 superduty but when I could by a Nissan new vs a superduty with 100k miles I am glad I made the choice I did.

I hope this this helps anyone out that may be considering a truck like this or is in a situation where they want more truck but don’t want to bite the 3/4 ton price bullet.

What's the payload rating on your Titan?

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AKRISONER View Post
    been weighing it for my next truck down the line. I like the idea of a diesel pickup without going huge. Cant buy a dodge again, the thing has been a disaster.
    Well a lot has changed since 2010

Nice review, pm sent.

14. Panfish Forum Moderator SOONER*REDNECK's Avatar
    Good looking trucks
    Fisher 1710C - Mercury 60 Horse 4 stroke
    **Crappie Fishing Fool**

15. Member
    Good lord half ton trucks pulling 10k. Pretty soon we wont have semi trucks pulling on the road they will just be 1 ton trucks lol.

What is the mileage not towing?

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by plunker View Post
    What is the mileage not towing?
    running down the highway at 65 I get around 22 to 23. 80 on the interstate around 17 to 18. That is running winter blend files in 0 degree temps. I haven’t been on the highway or interstate empty since the it warmed up three weeks ago.

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Finchdude View Post
    I know a guy that owns one and he complains about his quite a bit. 1 thing he’s always saying is it can’t get out of its own way, says its slow from a stop. I haven’t drove it, nice looking truck imo.
    the knock that I have seen on these trucks is a dead pedal feeling, guys on the Titan XD forum have talked about the dead pedal and a peddle commander has made a world of difference in throttle response.

Mine does not have it and there is a difference in taking off with a diesel vs a gas engine but towing my camper it was hard to keep below 64 as this truck just wanted to keep pulling and accelerating. They like a load.

The other knock has been poor economy due to the trucks getting stuck in a never ending region cycle because they never really drive it long enough for a cycle to complete. Truck gets shut off and next trip in town starts again. The biggest complaints are from guys buying a dieslel with no idea how the exhaust system and everything works. If you understand what you have there really are no complaints.

my dad has a Titan XD as well. His is a 16 and never a problem like The above and his results are very simple to mine. He has a 18 foot ranger and sees 16mph when towing.

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by f1maxis View Post
    What's the payload rating on your Titan?
    Sticker on the door says 1698. Pin weight in my camper is 1500 and puts about 2” squat on it which puts everything nice and level.

20. Member
    A friend of mine has a 2016 that he bought new. Bought it to haul a fifth wheel and was really disappointed in it stock. He’s not one to leave anything alone and he did a full delete on it, tuner and an exhaust. The thing is a whole new animal. Gets way better mileage, pulls like a train, and will flat out haul ass when he mats it. Has not had a single issue with it since he did all that work and doesn’t care that it voided his warranty because he said since he’s done it he hasn’t needed the warranty anymore. Before that it spent a lot of time in the shop with exhaust/regen/various sensor issues. I know a couple other locals with them that haven’t been deleted and they aren’t super happy with them. One lad said once the warranty is out he won’t own it anymore. I looked really hard at the gas version (owned a Titan for 7 years) but the local dealer service has really gone downhill the last couple years and I didn’t really want to deal with them anymore. Went with a new F150 instead and so far I haven’t regretted my decision but I still really like the look of the XD every time I see one.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast