Thread: Big creek

Big creek

Anyone fish big creek lately if so how was it?

2. Banned
    I haven't fished Big Creek since early last year. Looks like a nice lake but man the amount of boat traffic on it is insane. I guess when it's the closest bigger lake to the Des Moines Metro that's managed primarily just for fishing that it's to be expected.

Do you get out there a lot or just wanting to try something new?

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by liljakec View Post
    I haven't fished Big Creek since early last year. Looks like a nice lake but man the amount of boat traffic on it is insane. I guess when it's the closest bigger lake to the Des Moines Metro that's managed primarily just for fishing that it's to be expected.

Do you get out there a lot or just wanting to try something new?
    It's not to far from me so wanting to try it for the year what are some other close lakes to downtown des moines that are good?

4. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by GoneFishingLTN View Post
    It's not to far from me so wanting to try it for the year what are some other close lakes to downtown des moines that are good?
    I couldn't tell you what other lakes close to downtown Des Moines are good. Most will be 30min-1hr away from Des Moines that are worth fishing. I know Badger Creek has a decent following. I've never been there though so couldn't tell you first hand. Lake Ahquabi is a pretty neat lake down by Indianola. It's a beautiful state park. I fished it once late last fall and caught 7 on a ned rig. Nothing big but the wind was blowing 40mph and the high was in the mid 40s that day so couldn't complain. Don Williams just north of Ogden is about a 1hr drive of Des Moines. It can be tough in the summer but there are some big fish in there.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by GoneFishingLTN View Post
    Anyone fish big creek lately if so how was it?
    I was out there this past weekend from 7 a.m till about 1 p.m. Water temps were 38.7 on the south to 42.2 on the north end. Fish suspending in 20-40' with no fish shallow. Scraped 3 shorts on a drop shot before calling it a day. And, as of Sunday, most of the docks were sitting on the boat ramp, which was not helpful to say the least. DNR must think it's going to freeze over again.