Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Cool Remote drain plug problems

The remote drain plug on my 1980 is failing me. Camping this weekend for the first decent fishing weather of the year. Put the boat in a slip last night at Guist Creek. Went back three hours later and I discoverd three inches of water in the bilge and a half drained battery even though the 4 bank 15 amp charger was charging and the automatic bilge pump was running. I’m thankful my OCD kicked in and I went to check. Diving for boats is not my area of expertise!!!

I wouldn’t be so upset, but after the first trip out last fall I took it to the dealer as I was getting water in the bilge whie fishing. They pronounced it fixed. Texted with my salesman at the dealership today (to his credit, my guy texted back with me even though he was out of state on vacation!) and he said he experienced the same problem in another vexus last weekend. He suggested pushing in the drain plug by hand. I did and it did not budge.

I get get very few good fishing weekends during the peak season. Can’t afford to waste more time in the shop and the dealer is an hour from my house. Does anyone have a good fix or experience they can share? I love the boat but keeping it afloat is kind of important to my fishing plans.

2. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kybanker View Post
    The remote drain plug on my 1980 is failing me. Camping this weekend for the first decent fishing weather of the year. Put the boat in a slip last night at Guist Creek. Went back three hours later and I discoverd three inches of water in the bilge and a half drained battery even though the 4 bank 15 amp charger was charging and the automatic bilge pump was running. I’m thankful my OCD kicked in and I went to check. Diving for boats is not my area of expertise!!!

I wouldn’t be so upset, but after the first trip out last fall I took it to the dealer as I was getting water in the bilge whie fishing. They pronounced it fixed. Texted with my salesman at the dealership today (to his credit, my guy texted back with me even though he was out of state on vacation!) and he said he experienced the same problem in another vexus last weekend. He suggested pushing in the drain plug by hand. I did and it did not budge.

I get get very few good fishing weekends during the peak season. Can’t afford to waste more time in the shop and the dealer is an hour from my house. Does anyone have a good fix or experience they can share? I love the boat but keeping it afloat is kind of important to my fishing plans.
    the only suggestion is put a little grease or oil to help oil ring seat

3. Member
    Thanks! I’ll give it a shot.

4. Member
    If it wasn’t written already, that was going to be my recommendation as well. Many state use baseline but any grease should do the trick. If you pushed it in by hand and it didn’t budge, the o ring is seated. It may just need a bit of grease on it and your problem will be solved.

If that does not work, I would suggest replacing the o ring

5. Member
    Remote drain plugs are great, but I have to push mine in a little on my Ranger.

6. Member
    I have a 1980 and I have to push it in as well. I put some grease on the o ring so I’ll see if that helps.

7. Member
    I don't want to sound like a d bag but why is bending over and screwing something in considered a PIA?

I mean I get the remote thing, flip a switch. But I hear an awful lot of these Remote plugs leaking etc...

Some here are indicating they STILL need to bend over to push their remote plug in.

In some cases Old School may just be the way to go? Can Vexus be ordered with a crew in plug?

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Wormdunker View Post
    I don't want to sound like a d bag but why is bending over and screwing something in considered a PIA?

I mean I get the remote thing, flip a switch. But I hear an awful lot of these Remote plugs leaking etc...

Some here are indicating they STILL need to bend over to push their remote plug in.

In some cases Old School may just be the way to go? Can Vexus be ordered with a crew in plug?
    You did.
    "Now that's some high quality H2O"

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by HotRudderedBum View Post
    You did.
    I did what? ok.

Can you answer my question or contribute anything actually meaningful?
    Last edited by Wormdunker; 04-07-2019 at 09:06 PM.

10. Member

I went back and forth on the remote plug on my order. Decided to do it due to the setback transom. It's a bit difficult getting down there.

11. Member
    I did what? ok.

Can you answer my question or contribute anything actually meaningful?
    It’s already been suggested. I remember when the remote drain plugs came out a few yews ago and not sealing was the biggest problem. Rub a little grease on the o ring and it should seal fine after that. If not it would need to be adjusted.

12. Member
    I have same issue on avx 1880 have to hit it with my hand isn't adjusted properly

13. Member
    Mine broke today, I believe the cable came unattached or something. The plug is stuck in and the knob turns loosely to in and out.

Is there any way on the ramp to take it out and put a regular drain plug in or is there too much stuff goin on with it to just take it out?

xpress x19, 200ho G2, aluminum sawtooth cut prop, paper sack tackle storage, ugly stik pro team, color c-lector

15. Banned
    I don't know why anyone would want this feature to begin with. It would drive me nuts knowing that the plug could fail at any time. It takes me less than 15 seconds to put my plug in before I launch.

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Huckleberry View Post
    I don't know why anyone would want this feature to begin with. It would drive me nuts knowing that the plug could fail at any time. It takes me less than 15 seconds to put my plug in before I launch.
    Because 10 minutes after you launch and you realize you forgot to put the plug in. What's easier turn a lever that's right next to your hand while your sitting in your seat or find a plug and crawl back and feel where the hole is to put the plug praying you don't drop it. I know I've done both

I really like the convenience of having the remote plug. However, i will say this, I bend down and look at the plug every outing to make sure it is all the way in. I, like many forgot the plug, once, a few years back. Wasn't a catastrophic event, but I didn't like how it felt, especially with my wife and young daughter with me.

One thing on mine that I noticed when I turn the switch to "IN" I have to push I little more, there is some pressure and you can feel it lock in and seal.
    2021 Vexus 2080, Merc ProXs 200
    2019 Vexus 1980, Evinrude G2 150 H.O. - moved onto a new owner

18. Member
    I ordered my avx1880 without remote plug but they put remote in anyway have to hit with my hand to push all the way in ,,,, problem fixed alittle grease did the trick
    Last edited by James 10; 05-06-2019 at 11:53 AM.

19. Born on th Llano Estacado Tx Champ's Avatar
    I've had mine about a year and no issues once I figured out that you give the actuator an extra little twist to make sure the plug goes all the way in once the o-ring gets to the housing. Flow-Rite recommends Molykote 55 silicone based grease and o-ring conditioner. Clean and lube it once a year. Also make sure the cable has a straight shot to the plug per the installation instructions.

http://www.dupont.com/content/dam/Du...03809b78a8.pdf

https://www.flow-rite.com/wp-content...structions.pdf

With my OE screw in plug, I had to get down on my knees and reach a full arms length up under the transom to the step to get to the plug. So the remote drain has been a more than welcomed relief for my old wore out knees.

Hope this helps.

20. Member
    On mine when I switch the switch it stops but then I have to push it just a bit further and you can feel it seat in. If I didn’t push it further it would def leak.
    2018 Ranger 520L with Mercury 250 Pro XS
    Fitzgerald Rods
    Lews Products
    River Runner Baits

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast