Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Member
    same problems when I first got my boat. Greased it after doing a bit of research and now it works perfectly...
    2017 Triton TRX Patriot w/250 ProXS Optimax

2. Member
    Greased mine today and it helped a little, but I expect I may have to push it in the last 1/4” for a while. It will probably get better over time as it compresses the gasket. Not a biggie for me, I get more water in the bilge from the one time each trip I forget to slow my roll when I stop and water comes over the back. LOL.
    white Vexus AVX 1980 - white Evinrude G2 150hp HO

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbug View Post
    Greased mine today and it helped a little, but I expect I may have to push it in the last 1/4” for a while. It will probably get better over time as it compresses the gasket. Not a biggie for me, I get more water in the bilge from the one time each trip I forget to slow my roll when I stop and water comes over the back. LOL.

I thought the same thing on mine. It was always ~1/4" out when I turned the selector to "in". Then I pushed a little further(about a 1/4") and you can feel it slide into place. Always sealed and flush.
    2021 Vexus 2080, Merc ProXs 200
    2019 Vexus 1980, Evinrude G2 150 H.O. - moved onto a new owner

4. Member
    U sure that's where water is coming from, I had water coming in through my transducer cable. Had to goop it up more
    2019 Vexus 1880, merc 115

5. Member
    Living the good life on Lake Hartwell, Fair Play, SC
    Regular maintenance on that "O" ring is necessary. Every few trips crawl under the transom at home in the garage with a rag and wipe the plug down real good and get all the old grease off of the inner portion and the ring. Also wipe out the interior of the housing where plug fits into. Reapply a small amount to the ring and a light coat on the interior mating surface.

when closing the drain plug with the actuator you will feel two "bumps" then you know it is seated completely. It does take some pressure and always makes me feel like I'm going to pull the wire out of the plug. This procedure was explained to me when I had to call because the cable fastener bracket for the back of the actuator stripped out. They told me there was a bad set of cables and mine was one of them. They sent me a new one and it's worked eat since. But regular attention, not just once a year, is necessary to keep it lubricated.
    2013 Allison XB-21 BasSport Pro
    2023 Mercury Racing 300R
    Bravo FS 30P
    ProMax 30P

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TripleT View Post
    On mine when I switch the switch it stops but then I have to push it just a bit further and you can feel it seat in. If I didn’t push it further it would def leak.
    Grease did the trick on mine works great now thanks for the info

Sounds like more trouble than it’s worth. Someone mentioned a cable breaking, no thank you.
    Bad spellers of the world untie!

Smith Mountain Lake, VA and a cottage in Ontario
    Quote Originally Posted by TripleT View Post
    On mine when I switch the switch it stops but then I have to push it just a bit further and you can feel it seat in. If I didn’t push it further it would def leak.
    I assume that you fish SML in a new Vexus? I've only seen one Vexus tin boat and I wonder if it was yours.
    2018 Ranger RT188 SC Black/115 hp Yamaha SHO 4-stroke; Garmin LVS34 - north
    2018 Ranger RT188 DC Black/115 hp Merc Pro XS 4-stroke; Garmin LVS34 - south
    14' Mirrorcraft tin boat (ancient) with a 9.9 Mercury 4-stroke, no electronics; catches fish anyway

Quote Originally Posted by vaw121 View Post
    Sounds like more trouble than it’s worth. Someone mentioned a cable breaking, no thank you.
    That's always been my thought on a remote drain plug. At 67, I can still bend down and screw in a manual plug and I KNOW it's correctly in place.
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

10. Member
    Well today the plug went all the way in when turning the lever at the console. No need to push it any further. So, the grease and breaking it in a little has paid off.

11. Member
    UNless they've changed the design did you feel the 2 "bumps'?
    2023 Mercury Racing 300R
    Bravo FS 30P
    ProMax 30P

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AllyFishing View Post
    UNless they've changed the design did you feel the 2 "bumps'?
    Yes, it’s not quite as distinct as say a smallmouth bumping your spinnerbait at night once to crush it and twice to inhale it.

13. Member
    2023 Mercury Racing 300R
    Bravo FS 30P
    ProMax 30P

14. Member
    Interesting thread, I have not even picked mine up yet and the cable broke, I really hated that call as I was getting ready to pick it up until the Tech did a once over and found the issue.

15. Born on th Llano Estacado Tx Champ's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Hahn View Post
    That's always been my thought on a remote drain plug. At 67, I can still bend down and screw in a manual plug and I KNOW it's correctly in place.
    You don't own a boat with the drain a good arms length forward of the transom and a set of power poles hanging on the back. I've had zero issues with mine since I figured out the extra bit of a turn needed to seat the plug that I mentioned in my post on the first page of this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Guntucky View Post
    Interesting thread, I have not even picked mine up yet and the cable broke, I really hated that call as I was getting ready to pick it up until the Tech did a once over and found the issue.
    That sounds like an installation issue. This is the same company and technology that's been opening livewell drains for a mighty long time

Quote Originally Posted by Tx Champ View Post
    You don't own a boat with the drain a good arms length forward of the transom and a set of power poles hanging on the back. I've had zero issues with mine since I figured out the extra bit of a turn needed to seat the plug that I mentioned in my post on the first page of this thread.

That sounds like an installation issue. This is the same company and technology that's been opening livewell drains for a mighty long time
    When I owned two 20 foot Rangers, I could get down and install a manual drain plug pretty easily. But, I didn't have power poles. That would, no doubt, make it more challenging.
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

17. Member
    I have never had a problem with mine and I always thought it was a great idea .Of course before this there would always be the occasional boat launch without the plug in..

I very seldom remove my drain plug. I don’t want anything but one I screw in by hand. I’ve seen more than one boat filled with water because of them. To each their own.
    There’s no use being stupid if you’re not willing to show it off.

19. Member
    I have a screw in drain plug on my boat. Anytime I leave the drain plug out I clip an extra plug on my hitch coupler so I don’t forget to put the plug back in when I hitch the boat up to the truck.

20. Member
    When you clsoe your drain, make sure it clicks and you turn the switch all the way.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast