Thread: First Erie trip

First Erie trip

A buddy and I are coming up next month. This will be out first time on Erie. We are planning on going out of Sandusky Bay Area. Another friend recommended staying at Mar-Lu hotel. But I’ve called forn3 days with no answer. Anybody have a good number for them or a suggestion to stay in a safe place?
    thanks,
    Matt
    2014 Phoenix 920 pro xp / Merc 250 pro xs

2. Member
    Mar lu Motel and Cottages. 419 734 3300

3. Member
    Called and said number has been disconnected. Maybe they are out of business or closed for some reason?? Any other ideals and a good place to stay?
    2014 Phoenix 920 pro xp / Merc 250 pro xs

4. Member
    Assuming u are coming up to fish mainly for smallies. You need to be staying over on Marblehead area so you are closer to Mazurik and West Harbor launches. Mazuriks is the main ramp to get out to the islands quickest.

Than if u get stuck with bad weather and have to stay in harbors or bay you have access to west harbor ramp and Dempsey for the bay. Peninsula Motel is good place to stay that is set up well close to everything and for those with boats.

5. Member
    East Harbor campground is nice and they rent out a big yurt not sure if they have cabins. They do have a ramp.

6. Member
    Tibbels Marina has a few rooms and a boat ramp directly into East Harbor. Also, Majestic motel is around the corner, and they're both close to Big Boppers for breakfast. They both are also close to Mazurik ramp but that's only good if you're going out to Kelly's island. If you want to fish the Bass islands go to Catawba state park and use their new ramp. Diana's is a great place to eat over there too.

7. Member
    Is the new ramp open now, it was closed last year when I was there.

8. Member
    Yes. Was closed I think July maybe till end of the year, but I hear it's open now.

9. Member
    Come on up! all the ramps are open, and usually full, the resturants are packed as are the motels. It seems like they are a hundred thousand walleye fishermen here for the jig bite but I also see that the canals where the early season bass bite starts were crammed last week end also.

10. Member
    I'm coming up on 3rd of May for 4-5 days. Going to stay at East Harbor SP campground. Hoping for good weather!!

11. Member
    Should be good! You can fish inside Sandusky bay and all the cuts and marinas at that time and catch both large and smallmouth. It also offers protection if its windy. The bay gets rough but depending on the wind direction, you can put in at Sandusky city ramp on the south side or Dempsey ramp on the north side. Make sure you fish the causeways and go inside of Johnson Island. You'll catch em. And if you get out to the islands you can catch em there too.

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by onpoint View Post
    Should be good! You can fish inside Sandusky bay and all the cuts and marinas at that time and catch both large and smallmouth. It also offers protection if its windy. The bay gets rough but depending on the wind direction, you can put in at Sandusky city ramp on the south side or Dempsey ramp on the north side. Make sure you fish the causeways and go inside of Johnson Island. You'll catch em. And if you get out to the islands you can catch em there too.
    How are the crowds in you guys area of the world? Presquisle Bay is starting to really get crowded 7days a week. Maybe its worse out my way because there is really only one sheltered cove off the main lake for us. Just interested in how bad its getting for you Ohio guys.

13. Ranger Boats Moderator jc2bg's Avatar
    From the end of April onward we have about 4 tournaments every weekend in the Sandusky/Port Clinton area, sometimes 5 or 6 on the same day. So it’s getting a bit crowded. Park in the grass and walk 200-300 yards to your boat.
    John Clark — Findlay, Ohio