Banned

Shipping an 8ft rod?

How to ship an 8ft rod at a decent price I just went into USPS I’m trying to ship the rod but they wanted $135 so if anyone has any ideas on how to get around that I would appreciate it

January of 2018 FedEx, UPS and I believe USPS all implemented a second oversize charge that's over $100 for any package with a single dimension over 96".

Good luck getting around it. Every fishing rod manufacturer got hammered by it because it wasn't announced in the typical rate change messaging.

The only thing I can think of is to call FedEx or UPS and see if you can get a negotiated rate. We received a waiver for a set amount of time and then after that they wouldn't grant reduced cost.

Alex is correct. All the major carriers have implemented this surcharge. Shipping 8' or over rods has become cost prohibitive for most...

4. Member
    Guess the 8 foot rods will "hand delivered" by the company.

5. Member
    maybe its time for 2 piece rods over 8'.

6. Banned
    Yeah these US rod manufacturers need to learn the Japanese way of putting the Ferrell in the handle that’s the only way I’d ever buy any 2 peice rod

Whoever figured $135 didn't know what they were doing. What is the Zip Code you are mailing from and to?
    2018 G3 Sportsman 17 90 SHO

8. Banned
    At this point I’m just going to keep the rod but will no longer buy an 8 ft rod unless I plan to keep it till it blows up

Quote Originally Posted by Maxxlue View Post
    At this point I’m just going to keep the rod but will no longer buy an 8 ft rod unless I plan to keep it till it blows up

If you shipped via USPS, you could ship that rod for $27.80 Priority Mail to me in Mass.

You just need to get the right clerk that knows what they're doing. I did it for 37 yrs.
    2018 G3 Sportsman 17 90 SHO

10. Member
    How can this be true from what Bronzefly stated?

11. Banned
    Yeah I shipped a 7'6" for $31 priority USPS. The clerk needs to try a few things. I always wait till I get the same guy

12. Member
    You can go on the USPS site and calculate the postage your self. The calculator asks for a few measurements and the weight of the “ready to mail” package. This way you shouldn’t be surprised when you get to the PO. I use it every time when I ship USPS.

The surcharge for USPS seems to be 97".....at least according to their shipping calculator if using a 4" diameter tube with 11' girth to ship in.
    Last edited by Mark Perry; 05-20-2019 at 02:34 PM.

14. Member
    I thought it was more like 104" W+L+G+H. On a rod tube width and height are the same so a 2" PVC tube is 4" for that. I just sent a 7'6" rod from Pa. to Tx. USPS for $19.80. I did add insurance for $2.00. I know for a fact of the 2 post offices in my area one is always way more.(I won't go there for anything) I was going to ask them if they worked off commission.haha

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Perry View Post
    The surcharge for USPS seems to be 97".....at least according to their shipping calculator if using a 4" diameter tube with 11' girth to ship in.
    They may be not charging until it hits 97". FedEx and UPS is 96".

The only problem is shipping USPS, you're gonna pay a reduced rate and end up with a multipiece rod.

Quote Originally Posted by cidgrad View Post
    They may be not charging until it hits 97". FedEx and UPS is 96".

The only problem is shipping USPS, you're gonna pay a reduced rate and end up with a multipiece rod.

The few times I've used USPS to ship a rod I have been pleased. I'm sure my luck will run out though.

17. Banned
    Never had a problem with USPS yet. UPS broke two. One completely smashed. Looked like fork lift tracks the entire length of the tube. They didn’t dispute that one

18. Member
    I have yet to have a problem with the Post Office. Rods, reels, stuff, no problem,,,,, to date.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Perry View Post
    The few times I've used USPS to ship a rod I have been pleased. I'm sure my luck will run out though.
    Ship volume. Then have them deny claims. I once swore by USPS.

We still use USPS for everything but rods. They do great on the other stuff.