Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sold my boat and now feel bad.

I'm inadvertently that guy but hopefully did the right thing. I sold my boat sent tons of pics, video of it running and compression test, I even deliver it 19hrs away (about 6hrs out of my way). It was a as is deal, it's a 14 year old boat. I get there and it wont start (no fuel 300hpdi). I say let's get it to a shop I'll cover the bill he picks his "buddies" shop and there it sits. His buddy has back burnered him and the guys picked at me know. Do I feel bad yes absolutely I sold a boat that had no known issues and it decided not to run. I'm not sure what more I could've done considering the circumstances. I wanted a non refundable deposit before I left home with it if he decided to back out, that way I could have it stored and shipped back to me. He took a loan out and his bank told him to bad he made the deal and it they already had a lien against it in his name so backing out wasnt an option at that point. So I feel bad not sure what else to do for the guy. I've committed to repairs and a couple random non issues just to help him out.
    Last edited by Bentfab1; 04-05-2019 at 10:14 AM.

2. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    Terrible situation to have to be in.. hope all works out for you both!

3. Member
    I would feel bad if I was in your shoes and his. However, the deal is done and you are being very fair by offering to repair it.

4. Better Lucky Than Good! Casslaw's Avatar
    By picking his buddies shop that is behind, maybe he’s not as good a “buddy” with the guy that he thinks he is. I see why you feel bad but it seems as though you did everything you could. Accidents happen, don’t beat yourself up about it. I just hope it isn’t a big problem!
    2006 Triton SP-185, 2006 Evinrude Etec 90, PowerTech NRS3, Garmin Echomap Plus 73CV & 93SV

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Casslaw View Post
    By picking his buddies shop that is behind, maybe he’s not as good a “buddy” with the guy that he thinks he is. I see why you feel bad but it seems as though you did everything you could. Accidents happen, don’t beat yourself up about it. I just hope it isn’t a big problem!
    This is the issue I believe, I dont think hes mad at me, we talk daily as were working through this but I think he's more than irritated with his "buddy". Now I dont think hes thrilled that his new to him boat started out a rough beginning. But as I always tell people on both sides it's not a matter of of something happens it matters how its handled, I always try to treat people the way I'd like to be treated at my shop.

I dont think it's a big issue, to me and I'm fairly mechanically inclined I think a diaphragm tore in 1 or both of the lift pumps as it's not getting fuel to the low pressure pump

6. Member
    The problem wasn't intentional. Of course it sucks but it sounds like you're doing as much as you can to rectify the problem. That's what means the most in the end. "I'm sorry" doesn't really mean much if it's not backed with some kind of action. Sounds like you're doing the right thing. Feeling bad just comes with being a good person!

Wow, and to think I was going to have my Nephew who lives in Phoenix go look at your boat as I was interested in it also . But you had sold it by the time I saw it on Western Bass. Hell I would have driven to Phoenix and picked it up myself.

Nice to see people try to do the right thing...hope it works out for you!

I sold a lawn mower to guy that came over we ran it ran perfect . I tell him if he's not satisfied with it bring it back and I will refund his money. A week later he emails a letter complaining that the Carburetor was leaking and he wish now he never bought it. I emailed him back and reminded him, that if he wasn't satisfied bring it back and I would refund his money. I never heard from him again. These thing happen for unknown reason.

Bump.

11. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by rjvana View Post
    I sold a lawn mower to guy that came over we ran it ran perfect . I tell him if he's not satisfied with it bring it back and I will refund his money. A week later he emails a letter complaining that the Carburetor was leaking and he wish now he never bought it. I emailed him back and reminded him, that if he wasn't satisfied bring it back and I would refund his money. I never heard from him again. These thing happen for unknown reason.
    A guy complained about a leaky carb on a used mower? These are the same folks that always send their food back, leave no tips, etc.

Buy it back for 5k less. When he asks why, say "The motor don't work! Why would I pay full price?" :)

It does suck and its a chance u take when anyone buys used. He has to realize that.
    Bryan McDonough
    2023 Nitro Z21 XL
    Nitro Team

13. Member
    Can't he go get the boat and take it somewhere who can get to it in a more timely manner. With that said, maybe his buddy is swamped this time of year and is doing his work in order it was received.

Quote Originally Posted by BMCD View Post
    Buy it back for 5k less. When he asks why, say "The motor don't work! Why would I pay full price?" :)

It does suck and its a chance u take when anyone buys used. He has to realize that.
    That's funny right there.
    2018 Ranger Z518C 200hp Rude.
    12 inch HDS Carbon
    9 inch HDS Carbon

2022 Ram 2500 6.7l Cummins

15. Member
    Well it looks like everything will be resolved here shortly. By talking to his mechanic today it appears we may have picked up some bad gas on the way to his lake "mechanic said lots of water in the fuel" I still suspect a bad diaphragm in a lift pump. I have him flushing the system and I still have him doing the lift pumps just to make me feel more confident.

16. Member
    Ol Murphy jumps out there and kicks you in the groin at the worst times. I had it happen on a much smaller scale last year. I was selling my boat. Everything was in perfect working order. Guy came and test drove it and was happy. Turned out he worked with a real good buddy of mine and said he'd be back Monday and we'd just do a wire transfer for the funds. We did the wire and were waiting on confirmation via my bank and went outside to hook the boat up to his truck and for me to go over everything with him. I was showing him the live well controls and pump wouldn't come on. It had worked fine only days earlier. I felt terrible but I did a trouble shoot on it and figured out pump motor had gone out. I bought a new pump motor and took it to him a couple days later and offered to install it if he needed but he declined and said he would do it himself. I told him if he had ANY issues to call me and I'd come help him. Never heard another word so I'm sure he got it installed without issue. That kind of stuff just happens sometimes. Sounds like you've made every effort to correct it so don't beat yourself up.

Sounds like a bad situation, but You're stepping up to the plate and making it right for the guy. That's a good thing for you to do. Not all sellers would be that considerate. Hopefully some good Karma will come to you in the future !! Luckly, the 4 boats I've sold have never had an issue, but like you, I would've taken care of it too. Good on YOU !!
    Ranger Boats / Mercury Motors
    G Loomis Rods / Shimano Reels
    Raymarine / MinnKota Ultrex
    Garmin / Live Scope Plus
    Pepper Jigs / Robo Worms
    Troll Bridge / V-T2 Vents

18. Member
    That's why I never sell to friends or family. I would never hear the end of it if it broke down five years later.

19. Member
    It may have cost me a few bucks in years past but I have traded in all boats for the new one. No connection to the buyer and no sales tax on the trade in allowance.

20. Member
    Dang I would love to buy a boat from you. Most people once it switches hands the seller normally just says “it’s your problem now”.
    its nice to see that your one of the good few who makes it right. Yes the situation sucks but sadly sometimes shit happens. I would feel the same way as you in that situation.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast