Thread: New Rod!

Panfish Forum Moderator SOONER*REDNECK's Avatar

New Rod!

A local guy bought out a tackle shop a while back and is trying to revamp some funds out of the deal. I bought a 10 ft. Bucks Custom Crappie rod from him brand new with tags still on it and paid 25 OTD. Website shows them at $52 plus shipping and taxes. It is the rear seat model. I didnt need another rod and really am not a fan of 10 footers but I figured for that price I couldnt go wrong. I do have one BNM rod but its a 4'10 model best suited for docks. I am curious how this rod will be compared to the Huckabee , Jenko or Acc rods. I have heard great things about BNM. I will post up a review shortly. I plan on attatching one of the Micro reels on it soon.
    Fisher 1710C - Mercury 60 Horse 4 stroke
    **Crappie Fishing Fool**

2. Member
    Sounds like a great deal. I've got some of the "Crappie Getter" jigging poles. They are rear seat designs. I like them better than the traditional reel seat types. For casting I'm really liking the 7 foot St. Croix panfish model. I started out with one and now have three and thinking about one more. They are nice and light and have the most comfortable grip on any spinning rod I'v ever used. Congrats on the new rod, now go catch some fish on it!!

3. Panfish Forum Moderator SOONER*REDNECK's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bass Junkie View Post
    Sounds like a great deal. I've got some of the "Crappie Getter" jigging poles. They are rear seat designs. I like them better than the traditional reel seat types. For casting I'm really liking the 7 foot St. Croix panfish model. I started out with one and now have three and thinking about one more. They are nice and light and have the most comfortable grip on any spinning rod I'v ever used. Congrats on the new rod, now go catch some fish on it!!
    Thanks, I actually ended up with two of the rods. He made it where i got them 2 for $40. I could not resist. Now I need to find me a couple reels. For casting I have a few jenkos in 6 and 7 ft I really like. I am sure the St. Croix is a sweet sweet rod though.
    **Crappie Fishing Fool**

4. Member
    For that price might as well buy two. That's a great deal!

5. Member
    congrats on the great deal !

6. Member
    If you get serious about crappie fishing, you can't beat Huckabee rods. Todd Huckabee is a guide on Eufala (OK) and knows what works. I bought a pet of his 10' "Meat Dragger" rods and use them with cheap baitcast reels. It was an investment, but I haven't regretted it for a minute. No need for a need, just swing em in with these rods.
    Tracker Panfish 16

Bonafide EX123 Kayak

7. Panfish Forum Moderator SOONER*REDNECK's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Warhawk View Post
    If you get serious about crappie fishing, you can't beat Huckabee rods. Todd Huckabee is a guide on Eufala (OK) and knows what works. I bought a pet of his 10' "Meat Dragger" rods and use them with cheap baitcast reels. It was an investment, but I haven't regretted it for a minute. No need for a need, just swing em in with these rods.
    I am very familiar with Todd and his rods. I have a 10 ft dipping rod of his. You are correct, the backbone of his rods is unmatched. I actually broke one of my BNM rods on a hookset recently and instantly thought this wouldnt have happened with a huckabee! In the BNM rods defense It was a 2 plus pound fish and I did try and flip it.
    **Crappie Fishing Fool**

Quote Originally Posted by SOONER*REDNECK View Post
    Thanks, I actually ended up with two of the rods. He made it where i got them 2 for $40. I could not resist. Now I need to find me a couple reels. For casting I have a few jenkos in 6 and 7 ft I really like. I am sure the St. Croix is a sweet sweet rod though.
    That’s a heck of a good deal. I would be all over them for that price. I’ve been shopping the last couple of days for a newb and m pole and those are nice rods.

9. Panfish Forum Moderator SOONER*REDNECK's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BigSexyPhoenix View Post
    That’s a heck of a good deal. I would be all over them for that price. I’ve been shopping the last couple of days for a newb and m pole and those are nice rods.
    I am not a huge fan of a 10 foot rods. I try to like them but they are just a little longer than I like. I keep them around for exceptions i guess. LOL They will get used from time to time but my next few rods will prob be either the 8 foot BNM Russ Bailey rod or the Acc rod in 7'6 or 8 ft. I really am most partial to my 7 ft rods.
    **Crappie Fishing Fool**