Help me with 92 Faststrike alarm

Alarm is solid but not until after I give the engine throttle. Once I disengage throttle and goes back to close to idle speed, the alarm goes away.

Here's an interesting part. I had just switched to my aux tank....1990 Ranger 361. I wanted to run that gas outta that tank. Very soon after the switch, the alarm started. No alarm until I switched the tank over, and I had run fine out of my port tank earlier today. So, I switched tanks again to my starboard tank, and NO alarm at all. Any idea what's going on? Am I chancing harming my engine running fater the alarm goes away?

2. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    The alarm means you are having a high draw of fuel in the vacuum circuit it alerts you to a lean condition. replace the fuel lines from both tanks to the select switch and on to the tank I'd also think about replacing the selector valve.

3. Member
    Ok thanks Champ. Do you think it could be only associated with that aux tank that triggered the alarm? Should I not run this thing at all on any tank?

4. Sprint Boats Moderator Bassmeister's Avatar
    As long as you don't get an alarm on the first tank you should be good. Sometimes that selector switch will get gunked up inside and restrict flow. They usually can be cleaned out.

5. Member
    Ok thanks, Bass. Went out again today. Same thing....all was good then I tried the aux tank again and BAM, alarm again. Switched back to starboard tank and all was ok.
    Last edited by Richie B; 04-05-2019 at 04:16 PM.

6. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    May be a bad hose from the AUX tank to the fuel select switch.

7. Ohio Fishing Reports Moderator omcforever's Avatar
    You live just down rt 4 from me (Germantown/Miamisburg)...If you need any help. I am only a few minutes away,,,

Age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill !!

8. Member
    Thanks guys! OMC that's a fine gesture. I'll check that select switch. Thanks for the help you all.

This JUST happened to me. I have a 1989 Ranger 361v with a 1991 Johnson 150 FastStrike, so I switched back over tanks and put some fresh gas in the original tank I was drawing fuel from. I'll update test results tomorrow when I go back out. I LOVE this forum!
    Tight lines Y'all!

1989 Ranger 361V
    1991 Johnson Faststrike 150hp

No change. Still getting solid alarm at 2000 rpms. Alarm stops if I back off the throttle. Anyone ever experience this??
    Tight lines Y'all!

1989 Ranger 361V

11. Member
    Could be that the switch over on the valve is not fully engaged to the opposite tank

12. Sprint Boats Moderator Bassmeister's Avatar
    Check those selector valve guys and hoses.....

13. Member
    According to cdi electronics, this can be caused by a tan wire being in close proximity to a spark plug wire. Keep temp sensor wire far away from plug wires.
    https://www.go2marine.com/Product-Gu...-1991-2006.pdf

I DID change the plugs the past off season and was moving wires around a little. I'll check it out, thanks!
    Tight lines Y'all!

1989 Ranger 361V