Transom weight rating

Hi, I am looking for some opinion on how to interpret the ratings for my transom.

I have a 2006 1850 fishhawk contender, with a 150 optimax. I am in the process of replacing the transom and as it goes back together I am planning a 4inch atlas jackplate and two anchors.

I would prefer to go with 12ft talons mounted on brackets since real estate for pumps and the height of the blades is a bit of a problem but weight may be the deciding factor.

There are two stickers on the transom, one centre that says "max outboard weight 547 lbs or performance may be affected" and one on the port side that says "max aux power shall not exceed 15hp max". So how would you interpret that? Can I have a 547 lb main motor and a 15hp kicker (merc 15hp is over 120lbs) for a total transom weight of 670lbs give or take or would that mean main motor and kicker together max 547 lbs. The optimax is 431 lbs.

Thanks in advance!

2. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    i personally would say outboard plus kicker equal total. However if your outboard is right at max leaves you 120lbs Set of 12 foot talons and a jackplate going to take you slightly over that, cant for see an extra 20lbs or so making that much difference, but suspect you will be over.

I would conclude the main outboard can be 547, and the kicker is max hp, but i wouldn't like to add a jackplate and brackets if I didn't need to, flat transom?
    Mercury 250 proxs 2B115089

4. Member
    Thanks for the replies, it is a flat transom. I do a lot of shallow idling to get in and out by late summer so I am hoping the jackplate will help with that. My original plan was the 4 inch jackplate, and two 12 ft talons direct mounted to the transom to help spread the load out, save on bracket weight and save some money. The talon brackets and shims here in Ontario are over a grand before tax for a dual setup. I am thinking I may sell the boat in the next year so I was thinking it would be nice to take advantage of jackplate mounting options and not drill the new transom but either way I am less concerned about performance as I am with maintaining the integrity of the transom.

Originally I was thinking with my opti at 431 pounds and 4 inch atlas at 46 that takes me to 477 lbs on the motor holes, well under the 547 lb limit to allow for any additional stress from being set back 4 inches. And if a 15hp kicker is 120lbs, I could direct mount two 12 ft talons for 94 lbs and everything is comfortably inside the limits.

But if 547 includes the kicker weight, two of the pro series 8ft powerpoles mounted to the jackplate is only 523lbs all in and no holes in the boat.

Mounting the talons to brackets on the jackplate is still under total outboard+kicker weight but seems like a lot of stress on the 4 1/2 bolts holding all of that to the boat.

I am sure I am overthinking this.

I would go direct to transom and not worry, cheeped lighter and more spread out. If using tilt brackets it should be mounted as high up as possible so the tilt doesn't bind up. I went wider on my old boat than brackets go
    Mercury 250 proxs 2B115089

6. BBC SPONSOR
    Quote Originally Posted by kandkkustomzhydrographics View Post
    i personally would say outboard plus kicker equal total. However if your outboard is right at max leaves you 120lbs Set of 12 foot talons and a jackplate going to take you slightly over that, cant for see an extra 20lbs or so making that much difference, but suspect you will be over.
    I wouldnt think so either, good point
    FTO Marine Supplies
    BBC Sponsor

7. BBC SPONSOR
    we have quite a few guys go with just the talons and tilt brackets on aluminum boats. you can run them a bit higher and you can spread the weight out across the transom rather than right on the engine area or on a jackplate. you might consider this idea. We carry a variety in stock if you are looking for something in particular let me know.
    FTO Marine Supplies
    BBC Sponsor

8. Member
    sounds like my options are open, thanks everyone for the help!