Indiana Bass Club Moderator sc419795's Avatar

Thumbs Up Got fitted for a new set of irons

It is absolutely amazing the technology out there these days. Went in Monday to get fitted for new set of irons. Once I got loose, hit 10-15 balls with my existing 7 iron to get a baseline. Based on a few lasers targeted on the golf ball at impact, they could determine club head speed, exit velocity, attack angle, launch angle, ball spin, carry distance, roll out distance, and probably 3-4 other things I am forgetting. Then they had me swing a club with some type of monitor on it. This monitor helped them narrow what seemed to be 1,000 different shafts into the top 5-10 shafts that would work for me based on all of the data they had accumulated thus far. Next up is I hit the exact same club head with 5 different shafts looking at the same data on spin, club head speed, carry, etc. I would hit 5 balls with each shaft. He then averaged the data - and it was very clear the right shaft for me based the data....The Project X 6.0. Once we narrowed down the shaft, we then started to work on which club head was the right fit for me using the same shaft. I looked at Mizuno, Taylor Made, Titleist, Srixon, Callaway and Ping. Again, looking at the same data points. Became clear very quickly that the Mizuno and Srixon was the right fit for me with almost exact data. Ended up selecting the Mizuno Hot Medal Pro club head. The best part about it was that as long as I bought the clubs from this place, there was no cost for the fitting.

I have seen a number of posts here in what should I buy. I would highly encourage you for your next purchase to find a company that does fittings to you, your body and your swing. My new sticks are on order and should get them next week. Really looking forward to it.
    Steve
    2006 Sylvan Expedition Sport
    2006 Yamaha F150 TXR s/n 63P L 1041829

2. Member
    I found these guys years ago as they were only a couple of miles from my house...

http://www.dlancegolf.com/

Did a fitting and bought a driver. Then a year later went back for a fresh fitting and got a full set of irons and fairway woods, the shaft on my driver was still fine for my swing. Pretty much exactly what you describe, don't change your swing, make the equipment work to help maximize distance/spin/control for your swing. Cost is not that much different for a fully customized set of clubs for you.

I have since bought 3 sets of irons through them and a couple of drivers over the years and will always use a custom fitting.

Nice experience for you. I went through a fitting about 3 years ago and wrote it about on this forum. If you are serious about golf, getting fit is the only way to purchase clubs.
    What we cannot obtain from intelligence, we can learn from experience.

4. Indiana Bass Club Moderator sc419795's Avatar
    Got to play today in sloppy conditions. Because it rained last evening could not get to the range so basically hit about 30 balls prior to playings and off I went. Easily picked up 15 yards on my irons. Was even able to hit a 5 iron about 200 yards which for me, long irons was a problem.
    Steve
    2006 Sylvan Expedition Sport
    2006 Yamaha F150 TXR s/n 63P L 1041829

5. Banned
    I picked up a used set of Titleist AP1's about a month ago. Played my second round with them today, and they are hot. I played fitted Callaway RazorX tours until now, and I'm hitting the AP1's much better already. The 8 iron is a 160 yard club and they go sky high. I'm going to have them fitted to me this week and I am curious to see how that works out. We played a 199 yard par 3 today (range finder yardage) and I hit 5 iron about 3-4 feet long and left of the pin. I only managed an 84 with a few bad holes due to very poor chipping from not playing since last fall and 3 putting 6 times on aerated greens. Got a new M3 driver that I am flying about 265-275 yards so far. The course was wet and not getting much roll at all. Looking forward to playing more this year since I hired a couple more guys to take some load off of me at work.