Skipping: sv or dc?

Looking to improve my dock skipping and needing what advantages I can. Would you recommend a curado DC or daiwa sv reel?
    I do have 103, 105 and zillion sv as well as scorpion DC reels so before going to backlash on my own looking for advice. Using a 6'8" mh fast rod and mainly for 1/4oz swim jigs and maybe a fluke on belly weighted hook. Thank you

For skipping specifically, SV all the way in my hands. Curado DC is a very nice reel and in a distance casting contest, I'd pick it over the Tatula SV TW. The Tackle Trap has a great deal going on the Tatula SV for BBC members by the way...

Tatula SV TW BBC Members Special

3. Member
    I have both and if I had to pick one exclusively for skipping it would definitely be the SV

4. Winter can end now..... BoatBuggy's Avatar
    I've always thought the SV130 XS was the best skipping reel made because it's so hard to backlash. I've used my SV103 to skip everything from weightless flukes to 1/2 chatterbaits. These days I'm using a Steez SV TW for skipping 3/8 swimjigs (my favorite thing to skip) because I've finally dialed in the casting motion for a reel that was too fast for me to skip with until this year.

If you are going to use one of your SVs, set the magnetic break to about 75% of the highest number and adjust from there. My experience is keeping the brake at 5 or 6 (out of 10) with the SV103 for backlash free skipping.

To save yourself some grief with the initial backlashes, put a strip of electrical tape about 20-25 yds into the spool. You'll probably find that you'll rarely be skipping any more than 40-50 ft so you don't need a lot of available line. Don't overcast - it doesn't take much effort to skitter a swimjig or fluke deep into flooded trees or under a dock but it does require a smooth casting motion.
    2013 Ranger Z520c, 2013 Yamaha 250 SHO
    2018 Ranger RT198p, 2013 Mercury 150 Optimax

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BoatBuggy View Post
    I've always thought the SV130 XS was the best skipping reel made because it's so hard to backlash. I've used my SV103 to skip everything from weightless flukes to 1/2 chatterbaits. These days I'm using a Steez SV TW for skipping 3/8 swimjigs (my favorite thing to skip) because I've finally dialed in the casting motion for a reel that was too fast for me to skip with until this year.

If you are going to use one of your SVs, set the magnetic break to about 75% of the highest number and adjust from there. My experience is keeping the brake at 5 or 6 (out of 10) with the SV103 for backlash free skipping.

To save yourself some grief with the initial backlashes, put a strip of electrical tape about 20-25 yds into the spool. You'll probably find that you'll rarely be skipping any more than 40-50 ft so you don't need a lot of available line. Don't overcast - it doesn't take much effort to skitter a swimjig or fluke deep into flooded trees or under a dock but it does require a smooth casting motion.
    I agree. The SV103XS is good at, well, just about EVERYTHING!

Tatula SV is a great choice. Zillion SV TW is a better choice than the Tat in my opinion. However either will do the job great.
    2019 Phoenix 920 ProXP
    Mercury 250 4S ProXS

6. Better Lucky Than Good! Casslaw's Avatar
    For the price that Tackle Trap has the SV on sale for right now it’s hard to argue for a different reel. I really want another one, and their price is unbeatable!
    2006 Triton SP-185, 2006 Evinrude Etec 90, PowerTech NRS3, Garmin Echomap Plus 73CV & 93SV

7. Member
    SV

8. Member
    SV103XS - only if you can find them

9. Member
    I own both Metanium DC and Daiwa SV reels, the SV outshines the DC when skipping and casting directly into heavy wind.
    2004 Stratos 295 Pro XL
    2004 Mercury 3.0 L EFI 200 HP SN: 0T908560
    Standard/Servicemaster Lower 859399T13

WOW ,, The responses in this thread has me scratching my head for sure,,, the experience I have had had been the exact opposite ,,,,, I was always been a decent dock skipper but then I got a Tatula SV TW and things improved dramatically , so I wound up with dozen Tatula / Zillion SV TW reels ,,,,,,, Then broke down and got a Shimano Curado DC and ,,,man It really changed the game for me ,,For me it skips way better and the distance is nothing short of amazing , I don't even care to pick up one of the Diawas now ,,, have six Curados DC's so far and will continue to buy more and phase out the Tatula's and Zillions

Now I will say that I do love the Diawa rods that I have
    Last edited by River-Bandit; 04-07-2019 at 12:55 AM.

11. Banned
    Shimano has daiwa beat in every offering in my eyes the metanium mgl beats everything for skipping hands down

12. Banned
    But the curado dc is a great choice and it can skip Nearly 1/3 further then my tatula I sold it the first week it’s all hype these guys saying that except maybe a few have probably never used the curado dc so there just saying daiwa because that’s what they use

13. Banned
    Another thing if a curado dc wins in casting distance how could it loose in skipping distance?

Quote Originally Posted by Maxxlue View Post
    Another thing if a curado dc wins in casting distance how could it loose in skipping distance?
    What an odd question. Skipping has nothing to do with maximum distance. I have used the Curado DC quite a bit and for me, the Tatula SV TW kills it for skipping. Clearly you are a Shimano fan, nothing wrong with that, they make some fine reels indeed.

15. Better Lucky Than Good! Casslaw's Avatar
    I’ve had, held, owned many Shimano baitcasters; My first was a Bantam 1610MG!

However, I just ordered another Daiwa SV TWS from the Tackle Trap. I think it’s a better reel. I have nothing against Shimano, they make great stuff, but at the price point of the SV, I believe it’s the best choice.
    2006 Triton SP-185, 2006 Evinrude Etec 90, PowerTech NRS3, Garmin Echomap Plus 73CV & 93SV

16. Member
    I've owned a Diawa Steez SV TWS and it skiped easier then my Shimano Metanium DC. Not by much but it is noticeable.