Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Future of Legend

Not a Legend owner but I've always liked the boats. Are they not shutting down now?
    I'm looking at new boats this summer but I had backed off of them because of the shutdown talk on here.
    Any info on them? Thanks

2. Member
    From what I understand, they are not making anymore boats, but you can still find new models on some dealer lots, I've seen new '17 models still available.

3. Member
    They were shit down last year. That being said if your looking at a new legend it will come with full factory warranty from Wrmg.

4. Member
    Thanks for the info guys.

5. Banned
    Shit down is right Best I can tell last boat rolled off the assembly line last summer, they now make crappy Tritons there...

Yeah, JM did what he does best. Buy them out and shut them down. It’s a shame because the brand is/was amazing.
    I’m a little bias though. I’ll repower before buying another brand.
    2022 Basscat PII
    Mercury 200 Pro XS 4stroke

7. Legend Boats Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Bamayates View Post
    Yeah, JM did what he does best. Buy them out and shut them down. It’s a shame because the brand is/was amazing.
    I’m a little bias though. I’ll repower before buying another brand.

8. Member
    if there were as many orders for legends as there is for tritons they would still be building them .

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ssmithboats View Post
    if there were as many orders for legends as there is for tritons they would still be building them .
    This is true. JM is a business man. I believe what he does best is make money.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ssmithboats View Post
    Possible, however could it be that JM needed a factory? Legend had recently added to and modernized their factory. The Legend line competed with Ranger on the Cadillac/Buick/Chevy scale. JM already had the Cadillac-Ranger/ Buick-Triton/ Chevy-Nitro. He did not need the Legend.

11. Member
    There are only about 10,000 new bass boats sold a year. White River Marine sells aver 85% of all new boats and legend only produced a couple hundred a year at max. numbers are not there to simply buy to shut down a competitor. I guess it really does not matter. The owners of Legend boat company got a nice retirement check and the legend boat owners and dealers got the shaft

12. Member
    Not sure how I got “the shaft” as an owner. I still have my boat and it’s doing what it did prior to the sale.

I’ll never get how people can be so sour when someone else “gets paid” for their work/product/creation. I say, good for the legend owners. I hope they got paid a “BOAT LOAD” of cash to sell their creation.

Remember, we as owners paid them for a product, and we got it. It’s not like we all paid for boats, they took the money and ran without delivering.

**and lets not talk about warranty. The engine still has coverage from the builder. Plus, if BPS/WW is in business then they will have legal/contractual warranty on the boats.

Simple solution if you are truly concerned. Sell your legend right now and buy a current builder. Then your have no warranty worries. There are a lot of guys wanting a long end right now.
    Last edited by Chris1978; 04-13-2019 at 09:47 AM.

13. Member
    Man, can’t even believe I got sucked in and took the time to post the above.

Sometimes I guess “sour grapes” get me all pissy.

I hate the “crabs in a bucket” mentality people have.

14. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris1978 View Post
    Not sure how I got “the shaft” as an owner. I still have my boat and it’s doing what it did prior to the sale.

I’ll never get how people can be so sour when someone else “gets paid” for their work/product/creation. I say, good for the legend owners. I hope they got paid a “BOAT LOAD” of cash to sell their creation.

Remember, we as owners paid them for a product, and we got it. It’s not like we all paid for boats, they took the money and ran without delivering.

**and lets not talk about warranty. The engine still has coverage from the builder. Plus, if BPS/WW is in business then they will have legal/contractual warranty on the boats.

Simple solution if you are truly concerned. Sell your legend right now and buy a current builder. Then your have no warranty worries. There are a lot of guys wanting a long end right now.
    I think the sour part comes from the letter that was released in 2017 (and posted here!) after the white river group bought Legend that said the brand wasn't going to be shut down, then they did exactly that summer of 2018...

15. Member
    If the employees were all kept on or compensated properly then it’s all good. The new owners owed us nothing. We are not share holders. So the letter was pointless. So I still can’t see how a legend boat owner got the shaft in any way. We still have the product we paid for.

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris1978 View Post

i think you may be making an assumption of my thought s that are incorrect. Not trying to start internet pissing match so not trying to start something now either. Just stating an opinion. I bought a new 2017 in Dec of 2018 after all was shut down so I have no sour grapes. I have no issue with the owners getting paid. I took advantage of the shutdown to get a good boat at a better price. There were some owners that bought boats assuming they would stay in business and the re-sale of these boats may suffer as a result. I plan to keep a this boats as long as I had my last one....20 yrs.
    the owners both prior and current are the only ones that got a good deal. maybe that is a better way to say it.

Where the current Legend boat owners will feel the pain is needing Legend specific parts in the future. JM’s business model is to only support a boat for 5-7 years. After that, the owner is on his own even if that model is currently still in production. I had this with a Nitro I once owned. Good Luck to you guys and I hope your Legend gives you MANY decades of enjoyment. They are beautiful boats!

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal
    2020 Mercury 225 ProXS 4s

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 06 SB View Post
    Where the current Legend boat owners will feel the pain is needing Legend specific parts in the future. JM’s business model is to only support a boat for 5-7 years. After that, the owner is on his own even if that model is currently still in production. I had this with a Nitro I once owned. Good Luck to you guys and I hope your Legend gives you MANY decades of enjoyment. They are beautiful boats!
    Outside of the hull, what is Legend specific? Even the key pad can be sourced.

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by trifish View Post
    Outside of the hull, what is Legend specific? Even the key pad can be sourced.

Is the keypad shared with another manufacturer? If the parts were specific, GreatLakesSkipper is going to run out eventually I would assume.
    07 Legend LE-21__Sold.
    16 Phoenix 921 Pro xp

20. Banned
    I know the handles, dash boards and trim as well as bow trim for the switches up front are custom for the boats.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast