Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Prepare to be dazzled.

Petition to stop the Geist Coalition from spraying.

http://chng.it/M2mWGp5Cpk

Please check this out. There is a lot going on up there recently. Do some Facebook searching and get all the info you need on what's going on up there.

Basically, a guy is trying to force out fisherman on a public lake and doesn't care about killing the fish or putting chemicals in an Indianapolis water shed...so he can go skiing in peace and collect a paycheck in return.

\"The only difference between me and the pros....they catch more fish.\".......Me

2. Member
    I saw this on the local news last night. Said a whole bunch of fish coming up dead with some kind of bacteria/fungus growing on them. On a side note though by the way the lake looked this morning not many ppl were shying away from it. There were probably 100-150 boats out this morning. Lined up down Olio waiting to put in. Anyone know what tournament was going on?

3. Member
    I was there last Sunday and noticed the dead fish. What I seen was all red ear thought that was strange

4. Prepare to be dazzled.
    DNR apparently said it was a natural fish die off...in one day, with no testing, no proof. Whatever.

They have been poisoning that lake for the last few years with all of that spraying.

\"The only difference between me and the pros....they catch more fish.\".......Me

5. Member
    According to the biologist I spoke with Sunday (and this very topic came up) the permits allow the homeowner to treat an approximately 500 square foot area around their dock for ease of access for their boats. Not to spray or otherwise treat any area of the main lake. DNR only gets involved in that if the main lake becomes un-navigable due to weed growth. This doesn't stop or even slow down Joe Blow from dumping buckets of the stuff off their dock at 0300 and letting it go wherever the current carries it. Also, if you have a muddy water spring it will also affect weed growth negatively and naturally. I don't know the water condition at Geist and I've never fished it. This individual is from the south zone, but he's pretty knowledgeable about the situation up there. It's been my experience that excessive levels of copper sulfate type weed killer will cause fish kills like what people are reporting. I've seen it on private lakes before. It got a lot of redear, just like Triton Bass said. Having said all that I'll gladly sign it if nothing else just to piss them off.

Last edited by fishinarc; 06-21-2022 at 07:52 AM.

They are also wanting to charge $250 for an annual launch sticker and you have to pay the daily fee on top of that.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by phlipnstik View Post
    They are also wanting to charge $250 for an annual launch sticker and you have to pay the daily fee on top of that.
    If this happens I won't go back and to say but that's what they want fisherman to stay out

9. Member
    If you have any questions about what the spraying can do to your lakes go to the FL. site.

10. Member
    The $250 annual permit, plus $40 daily launch fee, will go into effect next yr.
    Geist Homeowners Assocation?, purchased "water rights", for the next 10 yrs.

As of now, this only affects Geist, but Morse is probably next.

The fish kill, is weather / natural related. This happens at other lakes every spring.
    The GHA plans to use this money to dredge and spray weeds.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rude150 View Post
    The $250 annual permit, plus $40 daily launch fee, will go into effect next yr.
    Geist Homeowners Assocation?, purchased "water rights", for the next 10 yrs.

As of now, this only affects Geist, but Morse is probably next.

The fish kill, is weather / natural related. This happens at other lakes every spring.
    The GHA plans to use this money to dredge and spray weeds.
    So was this passed and is confirmed? If so I guess that will be the last of me at that lake.

Last edited by fishinarc; 06-21-2022 at 07:53 AM.

13. Member
    Thanks for the info. That'll suck if it gets passed. Im only about 20 mins from the lake so its pretty convenient for me just to head up there if I wanna go out even if its for just a few hours. Plus I work about 1/4 mile away from the lake so sometimes I just leave from work. But no way in hell am I paying 250 plus another 40. Maybe I would consider if it was 250 lifetime pass.

Last edited by fishinarc; 06-21-2022 at 07:53 AM.

15. Member
    Geist Lake Coalition is the proper name, I had it wrong in an earlier post.
    The GLC , got the funds to buy the " water rights", from the Geist Home owners.
    I don't believe the Geist Limited Partnership, is involved, they are the ones that collect the ramp fees.

The GLC wants to get rid of all the weeds, and do some dredging.
    I won't be fishing there anymore.

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rude150 View Post
    Geist Lake Coalition is the proper name, I had it wrong in an earlier post.
    The GLC , got the funds to buy the " water rights", from the Geist Home owners.
    I don't believe the Geist Limited Partnership, is involved, they are the ones that collect the ramp fees.

The GLC wants to get rid of all the weeds, and do some dredging.
    I won't be fishing there anymore.
    I won't either after this year. Which sucks cause thats exactly what they want. Hopefully somehow this whole thing will get shutdown and won't happen but its looking doubtful.

17. Member
    Nitro Savage 896 - 150hp Mariner EFI - U​ltrex / Garmins

18. Prepare to be dazzled.
    That's a shame she only mentioned the ramp fee, didn't mention that everyone in the "conservancy district" would be taxed yearly off of their property values but also pay per watercraft. The part that burns me up is the $125k administrative part of the budget that I'm pretty sure goes to one guy.

My question is does the owner of the lake have a say?
    The best way to cheer yourself up is to cheer up someone else.

Indianapolis Power and Light own the lake. Some shady deal created long before it was ever a lake.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast