Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    No, the city of Indianapolis owns the lake. They acquired it and Morse reservoir when they purchased the Indianapolis Water Company. The water co. built both lakes to be storage facities for our drinking water. In the 70's the water co. wanted to expand Geist (Highland Reservoir) and had purchased most of the surrounding land. Sen Birch Bayh put the kibosh on it for reasons unknown (many many rumors, all were shady). After Highland Reservoir was dead the IWC created the Shorewood Corporation to developed the land around Geist. shorewood has since morphed into The Marina Limited Developement which runs the the marinas and developes any vacant land at both Geist and Morse.
    The best way to cheer yourself up is to cheer up someone else.

2. Member
    The Indianapolis Star had a story about this fiasco in their Sunday edition.
    One sentence that I find odd, said any attempt to do the conservancy thing would need to be voted on by the Natural Resources Commission.
    One question I have, did the NRC vote on anything to do with Geist, from the beginning till now? I have no clue, but I doubt it.
    Another thing that I haven't seen addressed, if a person pays the $250 ramp access fee, are they guaranteed a parking space?

3. Member
    The kibosh on the expansion was due the expansion, in the upper end, they would destroy the wetlands and further dredge. But heck, due to building houses all over, they have just about done that now. And isn’t the 250.00 they want to charge above the added launch fee also on top of that?

Quote Originally Posted by jc1234 View Post
    No, the city of Indianapolis owns the lake. They acquired it and Morse reservoir when they purchased the Indianapolis Water Company. The water co. built both lakes to be storage facities for our drinking water. In the 70's the water co. wanted to expand Geist (Highland Reservoir) and had purchased most of the surrounding land. Sen Birch Bayh put the kibosh on it for reasons unknown (many many rumors, all were shady). After Highland Reservoir was dead the IWC created the Shorewood Corporation to developed the land around Geist. shorewood has since morphed into The Marina Limited Developement which runs the the marinas and developes any vacant land at both Geist and Morse.
    Good info! I read rich people making shady deals

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12