Page 6 of 21 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast
  1. Member
    Yuppers... understood exactly where you were coming from suggesting stranded wires. Totally agree!

2. Member
    Speaking of Ethernet cables. The 3 I ordered came in Friday. They are all the new style black cables. Even though on the web site the images were of the old style gray ones.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by yupitsme View Post
    Speaking of Ethernet cables. The 3 I ordered came in Friday. They are all the new style black cables. Even though on the web site the images were of the old style gray ones.
    2016 Ranger 1850 LS Reata / Merc 150 4s / SmartCraft / Lowrance HDS Carbon SS3D

4. Member
    Old ones are yellow...oops that would be the connectors

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by csurp View Post
    Old ones are yellow...oops that would be the connectors
    Literature I see says yellow connectors 2007 to present....

6. Member
    "They" say no news is good news... "They" lie about other things too!!!

Hadn't heard from Lowrance so gave'em a call. After mandatory hold time - requested call back - they did. First got gal that had a hell'ov'a accent. Finally had to request another agent I simply could not understand her - No matter how loud she yelled...

Seems at around 10am this morning Lowrance Tech closed the case. I'm paraphrasing here... After testing net results was - NFF. No Fault Found. Tech was advised to update if necessary and return to customer - end of story. I wasn't happy n' the gal I was talkin' to knew it. Didn't get on her but did explain how bad the images were. She let me vent a while then said "Re-install it and if it doesn't work... send it back." Well, chit she shouldnt'a said that... Lil' more venting and with no real option said "OK". So the stuff is on its way back.

But... there's a bit more to the story. When I asked the gal for a tracking number she said didn't have one. Also said that if the stuff was shipping out of San Diego I would be notified w/email when it shipped and provided tracking number... but... My stuff wasn't in San Diego... no sir... my stuff was settin' in Mexico. Say what???? I ship it to San Diego and then Lowrance trucks it to Mexico. Yeah... just what I wanted to hear. So, can't do nothing about that either...

Sooooooo.... here's what I'm left with 3 - Carbons, 1 SS3D module and 1 - 3D transducer that supposedly is without fault. I suppose... I could'a just hit the perfect storm maybe with some what flakey ethernet, marginal transducer install and a software update that exposed all the weaknesses... I guess. Below is the only pre-update image I can locate. It's displays a somewhat use-able image. Not great and not even really good but I can see bait fish pods and some structure. And then you can look at the mess I had post update. Hard to say it didn't happen because of the update. But maybe the new update processes the signal differently such that interference that was filtered before is no longer filtered. Don't have a clue.

I have addressed every weakness that was in my physical plant. Hole shot plate on the jack plate. I made an extension(will post that project in new thread) to drop the transducer down 2.5"s, and I've replaced all three ethernet cables. If that don't do it????????????????

7. Member
    Good God, Doug - what a saga....you have the patience of Job!

I had a conversation with Lowrance today myself regarding a Gen 2T that is dead (under warranty for another week, surprisingly!)

Wishing you the best!

8. Member
    Doug,
    Hopefully you have already found and fixed the problem with your new Ethernet cables.
    ciao,
    Marc

9. Member
    I really didnt think the would find anything.
    I would be looking for a new 3D transducer. Or a 2n1.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by moetorola View Post
    I really didnt think the would find anything.
    I would be looking for a new 3D transducer. Or a 2n1.
    you do understand that they had my 3D transducer in hand. I can only suppose that the transducer was tested along with everthing else.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave in Mpls View Post
    Good God, Doug - what a saga....you have the patience of Job!

I had a conversation with Lowrance today myself regarding a Gen 2T that is dead (under warranty for another week, surprisingly!)

Wishing you the best!
    Dave... Patience is what you have left after exercising all other available options!!!

12. Member
    Things are lookin' up!!! Lowrance didn't email me with tracking number like they said they would. Soooo... I called back - like I said I would. Got the drill down pat now. 15 mins. on hold, opt to receive call back, wait 45mins-1hour and bringggg....bringgggg..... Got lowrance support on the line. First I'm told my units didn't ship. Then I'm told they're still testing. Then I'm told they're done testing... then I'm told they're still in Mexico. Then I'm told they may be in San Diego. Then I'm told welll.... they don't know where the equipment is. It might be in Mexico. It might be in San Diego or it might even be somewhere between Mexico and San Diego. Or it might be getting installed on someone elses boat. But they're gonna email me once it gets figured out. Multiple times I'm told "We state 7-10 days for turn-around". Then comes the "unstated" Shipping time is.... you guessed it - another 7-10 days. As I stated in the beginning... I'm well past P.O.'d and, because my or my family's life does not depend on it, now it's just - let's see how mucked up this can get? I "almost" feel sorry for the gals that are taking my calls... I've got this knack for askin' questions - for which there are no answers....LOL... I know mean o'l man!

13. Member
    Things are lookin' up!!! Lowrance didn't email me with tracking number like they said they would. Soooo... I called back - like I said I would. Got the drill down pat now. 15 mins. on hold, opt to receive call back, wait 45mins-1hour and bringggg....bringgggg..... Got lowrance support on the line. First I'm told my units didn't ship. Then I'm told they're still testing. Then I'm told they're done testing... then I'm told they're still in Mexico. Then I'm told they may be in San Diego. Then I'm told welll.... they don't know where the equipment is. It might be in Mexico. It might be in San Diego or it might even be somewhere between Mexico and San Diego. Or it might be getting installed on someone elses boat. But they're gonna email me once it gets figured out. Multiple times I'm told "We state 7-10 days for turn-around". Then comes the "unstated" Shipping time is.... you guessed it - another 7-10 days. As I stated in the beginning... I'm well past P.O.'d and, because my or my family's life does not depend on it, now it's just - let's see how mucked up this can get? I "almost" feel sorry for the gals that are taking my calls... I've got this knack for askin' questions - for which there are no answers....LOL... I know mean o'l man!
    If you ever get your stuff back (and I hope they are reimbursing you for shipping), RMP has a swap program.... might want to consider it... Maybe a Gen 1 Solix?

14. Member
    Things ain't funny any more....So at noon today I get the following email:

Dear Doug W

This email is automatically generated and is to advise you that we have shipped your product from our warehouse.

Case Number: CA10212176
    Case Title: SS3D NOT OPERATING
    Item shipped: STRUCTURESCAN 3D MODULE
    Date shipped: 4/26/2019 7:11 PM

NOTES:
    1) If we are shipping you multiple items for this case, then you will get an email for each item as it is shipped.
    2) For any support queries related to this item kindly reply to this email

Thank you

Navico Service

I think it's pretty neat they can ship an item... 8 hours before they ship an item. But the real problem was they were shipping back my SS3D module. What about the 3D Transducer and 3 - HDS 9 Carbons????? Of course there is no tracking number.

Soooo.... Call Lowrance support. Hold for 15 mins. Opt to receive call back. 45min-1hr later... Bringgggg... Bringggg... Lowrance Tech support on the line.... Explain my concern(s). Gal says "please hold while I check".... 5 mins. later she's back - "Your item hasn't shipped." I got email saying it had... I'm having hell of a time understanding this gal but I'm understanding enough to know she ain't sayin' what I wanna hear! So I ask to speak to her supervisor. After about a 10-15 min. hold "Brad" is on the line. Guy is an American by golly. Speaks American language. I express my concern of single item being returned when in fact 5 items had been sent. He checked... All 5 items were shipped. He provides FedEx(God I hate FedEx) tracking number. I ask Brad if he's an IT guy or a Tech Support guy. He says he's upper level tech support. I ask about testing protocol - specifically how was my stuff tested. Did someone hook all my stuff up and test it? Was each individual piece tested separately? Told him what I had done on my end to resolve the matter. He simply couldn't say how my equipment was tested - didn't know.

Anyway... He emailed me the tracking number then said that email would link back to him and that if I had further issues to use that email to get hold of him and he'll work it from that end. Hopefully that won't be necessary. FedEx "says" delivery is scheduled for Wednesday 5/1/2018.

Quote Originally Posted by jjjaymmman View Post
    If you ever get your stuff back (and I hope they are reimbursing you for shipping), RMP has a swap program.... might want to consider it... Maybe a Gen 1 Solix?
    The problem I have changing is I own a 209 Gambler. VERY limited space at the console. I was able to shoe-horn 2 - HDS 9 Carbons in there. I can not get even a 10" Solix to fit - it simply won't. Well, not without blocking my view. I've seen some folks mount electronics on the left side of the drivers console in such a way as it kind of blocks the path to the front deck. For me that's not a solution. But yeah... somethings gotta give...

15. Member
    Maybe a helix 8 or 9 with mega+ imaging would fit? Either way, if you get it back with the same problems, I'd consider a swap option.

16. Member
    If I were in your shoes when I got everything back I'd buy an lss-2 and make a standard side-scan down scan system. Get rid of all that 3D stuff.

This just hit me. Have you considered your 2-D transducer being bad? It is said that info from the 2-D is used in the processing of the downscan signal. I don't know any more than that.

Easy to overlook something buried in the bowels of the bilge.
    Last edited by csurp; 04-26-2019 at 05:08 PM.

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by csurp View Post
    If I were in your shoes when I got everything back I'd buy an lss-2 and make a standard side-scan down scan system. Get rid of all that 3D stuff.

This just hit me. Have you considered your 2-D transducer being bad? It is said that info from the 2-D is used in the processing of the downscan signal. I don't know any more than that.

Easy to overlook something buried in the bowels of the bilge.
    Really???? You’d go back to LSS2? The 3D label is a bit misleading. Yes, it’s capable of 3D images - more or less. But it also arguably produces the best DI/SS images with what Lowrance currently has on the market. I doubt there’s 1 in’na hunnert that actually uses the 3D function. I know I looked at it when I first got my stuff and my initial thought was “Well.... that sucks...”

My 2D transducer is an Airmar TM185HW. It’s mounted on the jack plate and produces stellar 2D images. But you are correct a faulty 2D transducer can wreck havoc on DI/SS. And yes that was ruled out as a possible cause.

18. Member
    Last update until next week when I hit the lake. Got my stuff back today. Wasn't much a surprise. Packaging/packing was marginally acceptable. Couple of the boxes were crushed on one end. Really disappointed in the fact that what I sent was factory packaging with the foam end blocks they come with. I sent everything in one box. It came back in 4 boxes. Of course none of my factory packaging came back. When I sell my units when upgrading I really like to put it back in the factory boxes and factory padding and all. Won't happen this time. At this point I've got everything re-installed with the exception of the 3D Transducer. The cable is run just got to bolt it to the transducer shield/saver and the the extension bracket I made - and level it. Also won't get the TM185HW installed until tomorrow - If the wedges/shims show up, which they should.

I just wish I knew the testing protocol they used to test my stuff. I've just got a sneakin' hunch that the Carbons were never hooked up to anything and were never tested. I tried to find out what/how the testing was conducted. But to no avail...

3D Transducer installed.... Tidy up a few remaining cables and install the Airmar tomorrow... WaLa....

19. Member
    OK... So I lied.... There's one more update until I get it on the water...

Installed 3D Transducer and 3 - HDS Carbons yesterday. Today my shims/wedges for the Airmar TM185HW came in so I got to install that. Soooo... everythings installed. Ordered 2 Airmar wedges and installed both of them. Turned out to be a tad much. Was off by 1.75 degrees... Took it all apart and reinstalled with 1 extra wedge(4 in all). That came out 0.90 degrees not enought. Ohhh yeah... it was enough I was done with it. I just adjusted the 3D transducer to read at exactly the same angle the TM185HW is. After a point it's all kinna guessy anyway with the variables we deal with. Fuel, livewell, partner.... just to name a few. Anyway... the following pictures show the final results....

20. Lowrance/Garmin/GPS Moderator fishin couillon's Avatar
    Dam Doug, hope all works for your "newly tested" equipment.
    YOU are not entitled to what I have earned!!!!!

2014 Phoenix 619 Pro / 2014 Mercury 200 Pro XS

Page 6 of 21 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast