Page 3 of 21 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
  1. Member
    Take the 3d out of the network and see if each unit will function properly on it's own. Not hooked to any network, just a 2d transducer or whatever you have on the trolling motor. That will tell you if its unit specific, transducer specific, or 3d specific. If all 3 continue I would say it software specific

2. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kry29 View Post
    If all 3 continue I would say it software specific
    Could still be power supply related, but he said he is gonna try one of his units in a buddy's boat this weekend...so...that should rule that out.
    2016 Ranger 1850 LS Reata / Merc 150 4s / SmartCraft / Lowrance HDS Carbon SS3D

3. Member
    Did you ever try using one of your other Carbon's in this ones place?

If the other graphs have the same issue, I would say the problem is narrowed down to the SS3D box as the culprit. It has probably had an issue all along if your down looked like that 2years ago, I see no problem really with how transducer is mounted, so either the SS3D ducer or box is faulty, IMHO.

I hate to say through money at it, but either get Lowrance to replace the SS3D transducer and box, or go and get your self a 2in1 or 3in1 depending on setup. If you never use 3D feature, Active imaging is a good route to go.

Putting your setup in your buddies boat is a great idea.

To recap, if this occurs on all your other carbons, the problem is likely the SS3D box or Transducer. I don't think there is an issue with your graphs per say, very unlikely to have all three carbons have the same issue.

It sounds like you have covered all your bases from this and other threads. It is time to replace some hardware in my view.

One Note: To keep it simple for testing purposes when testing 2D, just completely unplug either your HST-WSBL or Airmar, one or the other unhooked. And turn of your graph that is hooked to the Trolling motor transducer/s off.
    Last edited by moetorola; 05-14-2019 at 06:31 PM.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by moetorola View Post
    Did you ever try using one of your other Carbon's in this ones place?

If the other graphs have the same issue, I would say the problem is narrowed down to the SS3D box as the culprit. It has probably had an issue all along if your down looked like that 2years ago, I see no problem really with how transducer is mounted, so either the SS3D ducer or box is faulty, IMHO.

I hate to say through money at it, but either get Lowrance to replace the SS3D transducer and box, or go and get your self a 2in1 or 3in1 depending on setup. If you never use 3D feature, Active imaging is a good route to go.

Side note, if you get the 2in1 (or 3in1) for that matter, your may have to change or get an adapter, because the 2in1 would use the black sonar 9pin port.

Putting your setup in your buddies boat is a great idea.

To recap, if this occurs on all your other carbons, the problem is likely the SS3D box or Transducer. I don't think there is an issue with your graphs per say, very unlikely to have all three carbons have the same issue.

It sounds like you have covered all your bases from this and other threads. It is time to replace some hardware in my view.

One Note: To keep it simple for testing purposes when testing 2D, just completely unplug either your HST-WSBL or Airmar, one or the other unhooked. And turn of your graph that is hooked to the Trolling motor transducer/s off.

Yup... I kinna agree with you the only got'cha' is at least I had somewhat workable units until the 18.3 update. But to be honest I'd just about quit scanning simply because the image was so bad. Still gonna put the boat on the water Saturday(good excuse to go fishin') and see if I can make any improvements at all. You see in the following diagram how my network/system is laid out. In testing I have powered down Carbon 2 & 3 and tried to solve problem on Carbon 1. Then I shutdown Carbon 1 and try to solve using Carbon 2. I simply can not get the DS to recognize the bottom. And until that happens ain't nothing gonna work.

When Carbon 2 & 3 are shutdown all I'm working with is one HST-WSBL(InHull) and the SS3D module/transducer.

I know I don't want a 3-in-1 and the associated problems trying to get my TM185HW worked into the equation. I've got 2 Carbons at the console. One 9 pin port is not used at this time so that really would be a problem.

Last edited by yupitsme; 04-07-2019 at 09:06 AM.

5. Member
    You might be looking for this Saturday evening. http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread.php?t=971350

6. Member
    Yeah... just prolly mite could be...

7. Member
    Wiring looks spot on

8. Member
    Wiring looks spot on
    Thanks... what can anyone tell me about the AI 2-in-1? How does it compare to a fully functioning SS3D module/transducer. I really have no interest in backing up if the AI 2-in1 is little more than a repackaged LSS2 transducer - which it gives the appearance of being. I need a solution but... I can’t say I’m willing to invest another $7500.00 bucks for a half baked non-supported beta product. I’m really at a loss as to what step to take next. My Gen2 was actually pretty stinkin’ good. The Carbon/SS3D/3D transducer was pretty good for about 6 months. I have no real interest in the livesight line of products. What to do... what to do...?

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by yupitsme View Post
    Thanks... what can anyone tell me about the AI 2-in-1? How does it compare to a fully functioning SS3D module/transducer. I really have no interest in backing up if the AI 2-in1 is little more than a repackaged LSS2 transducer - which it gives the appearance of being. I need a solution but... I can’t say I’m willing to invest another $7500.00 bucks for a half baked non-supported beta product. I’m really at a loss as to what step to take next. My Gen2 was actually pretty stinkin’ good. The Carbon/SS3D/3D transducer was pretty good for about 6 months. I have no real interest in the livesight line of products. What to do... what to do...?
    A few threads talking about AI 3in1, 2in1 vs. SS3D. Many say it is much better, some say the same. But i dont think anyone has said it is worse than SS3D.
    One thing for sure..it is a lot better than an LSS-2 transducer.

10. Banned
    One thing for sure..it is a lot better than an LSS-2 transducer.

I’d love to see some pictures of this.

11. Member
    Is the only difference between the 2-in-1 and the 3-in-1 the inclusion of 2D with the 3-in-1?

12. Member
    Yes
    Is the only difference between the 2-in-1 and the 3-in-1 the inclusion of 2D with the 3-in-1?
    Yes

13. Member
    Thanks.... Is the 2-in-1 compatible with the Carbon's? Just came from Lowrance web site and it says:

Key Features

• Perfect for use with a separate traditional sonar transducer
    • More refined detail and better range than any other imaging technology
    • Supports SideScan and DownScan (455/800kHz)
    • Compatible with Lowrance HDS LIVE, Elite Ti2 series displays

14. Member
    I wouldn't add any new transducers till you debug what you have...don't thrown any more variables in the mix.

BTW, is your 2d good, and just your StructureScan messed up?

15. Member
    What to do... what to do...?
    Is your stuff new enough that it is still under warranty? If so, I would get to that Lowrance Certified dealer I pointed out, and start pushing for some replacements...
    My gut is starting to think either your SS3D transducer or Box is bad.

16. Member
    1 Carbon w/3D transducer and SS3D module was purchased 11/16/17 - Still under 2 yr. factory warranty - Not sure on warranty period for SS3D and/or 3D transducer
    1 Carbon - no transducer - Purchased 11/27/17 - still under factory warranty
    1 Carbon - no transducer - Purchased 1/24/18 - still under factory warranty

In November '17 I got one carbon w/no transducer and one Gen3 w/no transducer - after seeing first hand the differences between the carbon screen and the Gen3 screen - I sold the Gen3. Hence the Carbon purchase in January '18.

Not planning on adding/changing anything until I get problems resolved. Just trying to get as much info as I can... After seeing the review of the SS3D vs AI 3-in-1 I may get a 2-in-1 even if I get the SS3D transducer/3D transducer problems solved. Then leave both of them mounted but use one at a time. It looks like the AI 3-in-1 may be better for searching and the SS3D better for showing fish. I've got an open 9 pin port on one of the Carbons at the console sooooo.... it's only 230.00.... Mmmmmm....

I'm already set to hit the water in the morning so I'm going to take that, most likely, futile step. Then I'll look at getting involved with the Lowrance Certified dealer.

I "guess" the 2D transducer(s) are good. I'll confirm that tomorrow by disconnecting the ethernet going to the carbons and seeing how the HST-WSBL and TM185HW respond/display.

17. Member
    Sounds like you have a solid plan. With this stuff all under warranty, they should back you up...
    My only thought on the dealer was at least maybe he has a better route to Lowrance, or can just make a call straight away that your stuff is bad and order a replacement.
    Or give you a known good SS3D box, or try some of your stuff in one of his known good setups...
    I feel for you man...I would be frustrated.
    When I put my stuff away last fall, it was money...gave crystal clear views down/side, and 2d was awesome. Was running it on 18.1 most of last year, then went to 18.2, still awesome.
    Gonna try 18.3 soon as I get the boat out of storage and the Mississippi gets out of flood stage...its a tad early up here for water action yet, lots of lakes still frozen.

Rooting for you though! Do hope you get it solved.

18. Member
    Reading through this the only positive is it has remained consistent. Nothing worse than an intermittent electrical problem... Just went through one of those and it turned out to be an incorrect resistance incandescent bulb causing the entire episode.

19. Member
    Eureka.... Decided to call Lowrance Tech support - again. When I called Lowrance today... I was on hold about 10 minutes. Every 3-4 minuets I'd hear "we're busy.... thank you for holding... Bla...bla...bla..." But at about the 10 minute mark I got the option to leave my number for a call back. I left my number.... Took probably 20 or so minutes when the gal called back. Soooo... Looks like the call back thingee is working again.

I briefly described the problem I am encountering then followed up with "I need to speak with someone in tier 2 support". She ask some identifiying question then put me on hold for a few minutes. The she came back and introduced me to the tier 2 support tech. then transferred the call to "Starr". I described the symptoms I was encountering best I could. Tier 2 Tech said "Sounds like a problem with either the SS3D module or the 3D Transducer. You need to send them in so we can take a look at them. Hallelujah... I don't relish the thought of doing an out and in with that stinking 3D transducer cable/end(s) but it is what it is. I did confirm that the SS3D module and the 3D transducer are covered under warranty until November of this year. So that was good news as well.

OH... and...
    Still putting the boat on the water tomorrow. Still gonna hook up the Carbon to the LSS1 Network to make sure.... While speaking with the tier 2 tech. I told him what I was planning and on the outside chance that the symptoms showed up - What should I do? I'll contact the same tier 2 tech via e-mail and include the MFD(s) in the same box with the same RMA I already have. Simple as that. But... really don't think I have a Carbon related problem.

20. Member
    Eureka.... Decided to call Lowrance Tech support - again. When I called Lowrance today... I was on hold about 10 minutes. Every 3-4 minuets I'd hear "we're busy.... thank you for holding... Bla...bla...bla..." But at about the 10 minute mark I got the option to leave my number for a call back. I left my number.... Took probably 20 or so minutes when the gal called back. Soooo... Looks like the call back thingee is working again.

I briefly described the problem I am encountering then followed up with "I need to speak with someone in tier 2 support". She ask some identifiying question then put me on hold for a few minutes. The she came back and introduced me to the tier 2 support tech. then transferred the call to "Starr". I described the symptoms I was encountering best I could. Tier 2 Tech said "Sounds like a problem with either the SS3D module or the 3D Transducer. You need to send them in so we can take a look at them. Hallelujah... I don't relish the thought of doing an out and in with that stinking 3D transducer cable/end(s) but it is what it is. I did confirm that the SS3D module and the 3D transducer are covered under warranty until November of this year. So that was good news as well.

OH... and...
    Still putting the boat on the water tomorrow. Still gonna hook up the Carbon to the LSS1 Network to make sure.... While speaking with the tier 2 tech. I told him what I was planning and on the outside chance that the symptoms showed up - What should I do? I'll contact the same tier 2 tech via e-mail and include the MFD(s) in the same box with the same RMA I already have. Simple as that. But... really don't think I have a Carbon related problem.
    Awesome����

Page 3 of 21 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast