Page 2 of 21 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
  1. Member
    Ok, the first image is definitely a baby sleeping on its side... Don’t have anything to offer beyond what others have said.

2. Member
    How about going back an update. I thought you said this all happened once you updated. At least to see if everything works correctly.

3. Member
    A similar situation happened to my carbon unit, but only with the image of a structured pattern. Initially, I decided that the 3D block was faulty, I made a hard reset. Did not help. Then I reinstalled the 3D unit firmware. It also did not help. Switched the screen to the sonar, and the scan no longer used. After 20 minutes, I turned on the structural screen, and everything worked well. What was the cause of the fault I can not explain, apparently the program crashed.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: jpg 2.jpg (41.3 KB, 61 views)
    • File Type: jpg 1.jpg (36.8 KB, 51 views)

4. Member
    Have you tried removing the 3-D module from the system and rewiring to standard 2-D, Downscan, and side scan?

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by csurp View Post
    Have you tried removing the 3-D module from the system and rewiring to standard 2-D, Downscan, and side scan?
    I did not have the overlapping interference from the side and bottom scans on the sonar screen. In my system, there is no standard 2-d, bottom and side scan, only 3D and TM-150 units are installed. I unplugged the power cable from the 3D unit.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Team Colibri View Post
    Like many others have said, I would rip everything apart and do it over. But before doing so, any chance you can try with another HDS?
    Yes, there are 3 - HDS 9 Carbons in my set up.

Quote Originally Posted by TrackerPro16 View Post
    Ok, the first image is definitely a baby sleeping on its side... Don’t have anything to offer beyond what others have said.
    Yeah, I can see that but before the update I could'a told you if it was a boy or a girl!

Quote Originally Posted by Tracker View Post
    How about going back an update. I thought you said this all happened once you updated. At least to see if everything works correctly.
    Been back as far as 4.0 one step at a time. All that's happened is it changed the problem from extremely snowy images to black screens. I have not been able to get back to the snowy screens where you can tell SideScan/DownScan but the images are really bad.

Quote Originally Posted by ttt18 View Post
    A similar situation happened to my carbon unit, but only with the image of a structured pattern. Initially, I decided that the 3D block was faulty, I made a hard reset. Did not help. Then I reinstalled the 3D unit firmware. It also did not help. Switched the screen to the sonar, and the scan no longer used. After 20 minutes, I turned on the structural screen, and everything worked well. What was the cause of the fault I can not explain, apparently the program crashed.
    I have seen those EXACT SAME images. If I saw the blocks on downscan the side scan would look identical to what your picture shows. Not sure what version update caused that though.

Quote Originally Posted by csurp View Post
    No, have not tried that. Saturday, weather permitting, I've got a buddy with a Gen2 non-touch 8 w/Lss1 and module and were gonna put my HDS Carbon on his network and see what happens. I pretty much expect everything to function. I'm thinking SS3D Update is still not done right.

Can someone tell me what size the update 18.3-61.1.123 for the SS3D module is supposed to be. What I have is 37.1MB and that size is in keeping with the general size of previous updates.

Also the Carbon update 18.3-61.1.133 size? What I have is 145MB and again that's in keeping with previous updates but... grabbing straws at this point.
    Last edited by yupitsme; 04-04-2019 at 07:50 AM.

7. Member
    Here's my transducer set up on the transom. I also have one hst-wsbl shoot-thru in the rigging compartment

The HST-WSBL is above both the TM185HW and the 3D Transducer. The 3D transducer is mounted below the TM185. I seldom, if ever, use the jackplate mounted HST-WSBL anymore.

8. Banned
    Totally off topic...is your motor a 25” shaft? I’ve never seen a jp & motor mounted that high before.

9. Member
    No, it's 20" ProXS 225. Mounted on a '95 Gambler 209. It's a 12" SlideMaster plate which ends up giving me a total of 31" setback from the end of the pad. PTP is ~1.75"

10. Member
    So, seriously, what happens if you unplug everything except the HST-WSBL and the power cord.
    Is your 2d good, or do you have blocks?
    Then, if you move the transducer to a different HDS, is it good, or still blocky?

The fact that you have those square blocks in the 2d should be a hint...unclear how that could be happening, but I would think Lowrance Customer Service would recognize that symptom as something they have seen before or that it is totally a huge problem.
    I am starting to think about things like Ground Loops, Ground Noise, etc...that is why I am thinking of going back to super basics...

FYI, here is the info about StructureScan3D-18.3-61.1.123-Standard-1.riw:
    39,006,784 bytes (39.6 MB on disk)

And here is the info about HDS_Carbon-18.3-61.1.133-Standard-1.upd
    152,862,720 bytes (155.6 MB on disk)

At least that is how my downloads came out.
    P.S. I have a MAC, but file size should not be affected much by that...
    Last edited by MichaelJ3; 04-04-2019 at 08:36 AM.
    2016 Ranger 1850 LS Reata / Merc 150 4s / SmartCraft / Lowrance HDS Carbon SS3D

11. Member
    My wiring for all of the electronics on my boat consist of a multi-lug dual buss bar mounted under the console. I have a 10ga positive and 10ga negative wires connected direct to the battery. Connected to the buss bar are: 3 - HDS 9 Carbons, 1 - SS3D module and 1 - NMEA power node. Some are saying tear it out and start over but.... I can think of nothing that is better that a straight run from buss bar to battery. There are no splices(other than splicing in the factory power cord) on any wire that connects to the buss bar. Other than the fact it's connected to the same cranking battery that everything else is connected the electronics wiring system is as isolated as I know how to make it short of installing a dedicated electronics battery - which I've never had before.

12. Member
    Yea, I don't really think you have an issue w/ your power delivery, it has to be something else...
    The periodic nature of the boxes in your 2d sonar makes me think it is something interference releated, etc.
    Have you tried "stopping sonar" on all the sources, and enabling one at a time, and seeing what you get?

If you had a bad transducer or bad cable, and somehow some electrical interference was bleeding onto the ground or shield, it could put ground noise into your system...
    What you haven't said is if you tried swapping the transducer to one of the other Carbons....
    Like, today, Maybe Carbon Left at your Helm is connected to the HST-WSBL and the TMH185.
    Have you swapped both of them over to the Carbon Right? Again, not sure what you are calling your units...
    Maybe you gotta draw us a little schematic of your setup and post a photo of that, so we know what is hooked to what.

Not being a nag or picky here, just really want to try and help you.
    Note, I did add the filesizes to my post in #30

13. Member
    One Other thought...I just did a dealer locate on Lowrance's site for dealers near League City, Tx.
    This one popped up as Lowrance Certified:
    Trionics
    Webster
    16910 N Texas Ave, Ste Ab
    Webster
    Tx
    United States

email: ken@trionics.com
    phone: 281-338-2688

,Maybe best answer is hook the boat on, drive in there, take your pics and give him a call?

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelJ3 View Post
    So, seriously, what happens if you unplug everything except the HST-WSBL and the power cord.
    I'm curious about this too. I apologize if you have already answered and I overlooked it.

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by yupitsme View Post
    Can someone tell me what size the update 18.3-61.1.123 for the SS3D module is supposed to be. What I have is 37.1MB and that size is in keeping with the general size of previous updates.

Also the Carbon update 18.3-61.1.133 size? What I have is 145MB and again that's in keeping with previous updates but... grabbing straws at this point.
    I don't think the files are your issue, but here are the properties of the files on a Windows 7 machine.

1.jpg
    2.jpg

16. Member
    Then, if you move the transducer to a different HDS, is it good, or still blocky?
    Sorry... All the pics I've posted were what I've seen while traveling on the "yellow brick road"... At this point in time I no longer get the blocks on the downscan or 2D screens.

Regarding file sizes:

You: 18.3-61.1.123 - 39,006,784 bytes On Disk:39.6MB (39,006,784 bytes)
    Me: 18.3-61.1.123 - 39,006,784 bytes On Disk:37.2MB (39,010,304 bytes)

Goofy thing is.... in the file listing it shows size for that file as 38.093 KB which comes out to 39,007,232 Bytes - go figger.

You 18.3-61.1.133 - 152,862,720 bytes On Disk:155.6MB
    Me 18.3-61.1.133 - 152,862,720 bytes On Disk: 145 MB (152,862,720 bytes)

Based on the Byte size of the "On Disk" file the MB should be closer to 156MB instead of 145MB.... Wonder what's up with that????

I have not physically changed tranducer leads/MFD's. I have tried to different MFD's by themselves. One is a MFD with a single HST-WSBL connected(along with the ethernet SS3D connection). The other has the TM185HW and the jackplate mounted HST-WSBL - also with the ethernet/SS3D connection.

I'm planning on putting it back on the water this Saturday and diddle with it some more along with taking one of my Carbons and installing it on a buddies Gen2/LLS1 network.

17. Member

Goofy thing is.... in the file listing it shows size for that file as 38.093 KB which comes out to 39,007,232 Bytes - go figger.

You 18.3-61.1.133 - 152,862,720 bytes On Disk:155.6MB
    Me 18.3-61.1.133 - 152,862,720 bytes On Disk: 145 MB (152,862,720 bytes)

Based on the Byte size of the "On Disk" file the MB should be closer to 156MB instead of 145MB.... Wonder what's up with that????
    1kB = 1024 bytes
    1MB = 1024 kB

So,
    39,006,784 bytes = 37.1997 MB

Now, some people have taken MB to be MillionBytes, not MegaBytes....and made the rounding of 1MB = 1,000,000 Bytes, instead of 1MB = 1024*1024 bytes = 1,048,576 bytes.
    Using the 39,006,784 bytes and dividing by 1 Million gives 39.006 MB.
    How Apple comes up with 39.6MB for 39,006,784 is beyond me...your system's 37.2 is a far more accurate number.

Now, Size on Disk may include managing the directory entry, as well as any fragmented segments and the associated overhead...file systems are weird things...net, I think you have the proper downloads.

18. Member
    Give Breakwater Marine a call 281-316-9071 address 20801 Gulf Fwy #8, Webster, TX 77598. They have helped me out, they are a Lowrance dealer and service.
    2013 A211 250 Pro XS
    Bob"s 10" Action Series Hydraulic Jack Plate
    2-8' Power Poles

19. Member
    I have not physically changed tranducer leads/MFD's. I have tried to different MFD's by themselves. One is a MFD with a single HST-WSBL connected(along with the ethernet SS3D connection). The other has the TM185HW and the jackplate mounted HST-WSBL - also with the ethernet/SS3D connection.
    It's starting to look like the common denominator is the ethernet/ss3d connection. I would disconnect that and try it in the driveway/garage with only a 2d ducer connected.

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jagsaw View Post
    It's starting to look like the common denominator is the ethernet/ss3d connection. I would disconnect that and try it in the driveway/garage with only a 2d ducer connected.
    Nothing really works in the drive way. Pretty much have to be on the water to get consistent reliable results.... But I do agree... SS3D and yeah... maybe ethernet. On one of the carbons after cleaning all the ports and cable ends I did move the ethernet connection to the other port on the Carbon.

1kB = 1024 bytes
    1MB = 1024 kB

So,
    39,006,784 bytes = 37.1997 MB

Now, some people have taken MB to be MillionBytes, not MegaBytes....and made the rounding of 1MB = 1,000,000 Bytes, instead of 1MB = 1024*1024 bytes = 1,048,576 bytes.
    Using the 39,006,784 bytes and dividing by 1 Million gives 39.006 MB.
    How Apple comes up with 39.6MB for 39,006,784 is beyond me...your system's 37.2 is a far more accurate number.

Now, Size on Disk may include managing the directory entry, as well as any fragmented segments and the associated overhead...file systems are weird things...net, I think you have the proper downloads.
    Yup... In another life I was a senior network engineer for BellSouth. Back when we use a real oscilloscope to troubleshoot co-ax problems.... Damn... that was a looooong time ago! But I was on watch when they ushered in 10BaseT, Fiber to the desktop, 100BaseT and the early stages of 1G to the desktop. Wore a pager where if you had a real emergency you'd send 911 to whomever you wanted to call back quick. You ever hear of Digital smoke signals????

Page 2 of 21 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast