Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

LVS32 or PS30 transudcer best for trolling?

I jumped on the Livescope with the Echomap 93SV unit last winter. It was awesome for crappie and everything we chased through the ice. Now I'm getting it ready for the boat. I ordered the pole and every option that they offered from Fishing Specialties to mount the LVS32 transducer up front. I plan to use the 93SV in my shuttle that I built for icefishing, so it will be portable, and I want to point that transducer where I want when I'm searching the biggest schools of whitefish on Flathead. We also troll for lakers and chinook salmon on Fort Peck. Those depths are anywhere from 60' to 200'. Would I be best off getting the PS30 transducer and mounting it to the transom to have better view of downriggers while trolling or could I aim the LVS32 to be able to see them also? I already have Helix 10's in back and at the helm, and really went that way to be able to utilize the MinnKota/Humminbird connectivity.

2. Member
    I am not an expert but I have used a PS31 in the past for fishing lake trout in deep water with good results. I have only had my LVS32 on the water twice and both times was fishing shallow water (to 50') I do not think you would be happy with the LVS 32 for Fort Peck. I believe the PS30 will work much better for what you are looking for. My opinion...

3. Member
    I don't troll so I'll forgo commenting. Maybe Gary will see this and comment.
    My wife asks if I'm going to fish every day. I can't fish every day. Some days I might be sick.

4. Member
    Definitely, the PS-30 and it has proven to be very effective at showing downrigger balls. For the deep water lake trout, you will want the PS-30

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Treeguyus View Post
    Definitely, the PS-30 and it has proven to be very effective at showing downrigger balls. For the deep water lake trout, you will want the PS-30
    The more I researched this it definitely looks like it will work pretty good for jigging hwitefish over 40-80 fow, and trolling for lakers and chinook. I really like to be able to see those downriggers. Thanks for the info.

6. Member
    I have another question regarding the mounting of the PS30 transducer. I see that there seems to be a little bit of a problem with mounting that big horizontal transducer on a deep vee hull. I have an extended transom on my old crestliner. I already have a HD H-Bird ducer on the starboard side, and a cannon ducer on the port side mounted on mounting boards. I'm including a picture of the transom. Would I maybe be able to mount that PS30 on my extended transom? It would be in the water, and there, it would be more protected from any damage from anything I could hit. I would imagine it would be out of water at full plane, but that's not when I would need it, at trolling speeds it seems like it would be ok. I'm not sure about the angle. It's not a huge drop form the extension to the hull. Does anyone have a PS30 on an extended transom like that?
    extended transom 2_LI.jpg
    Yellow is extended transom, red is hull.

7. Member
    sra61

Maybe these will help.

I have my PS30 mounted on the step of my Skeeter and the pics below are from that mounting position.
    I think I had it on 40 Degrees cone and 30 to45 degrees cone angle tilt to the rear

Click pics to enlarge.

20190404_144329II.jpg

Shallow, rigger balls, one signal stronger than other

120417_1231_00II.jpg

Deepest pic I had handy.
    Rigger balls at 40' and 50' + a dipsy at 22'

020717_1015_00II.jpg

PS21 pointed to rear of boat, rigger balls at 12' and 24'
    Do not have any Livescope rear pointing screenshots yet.

120417_0904_02II.jpg

Good luck

I completely agree with Treeguyus.
    I also fish deep (70 - 110 feet) for lake trout in lake Champlain NY, I used the PS22 for half of summer 2018 until I purchased a PS30. I was on the fence between Livescope and PS30 at the time of purchase. I decided to go with the PS30 because of the exaggerated rendition of the returns compared to LS. I can stand 6 feet away from the unit and easily see the 1/2oz lure in 90 fow on the 10' screen,, not sure it's the case with LS.
    I don't troll much for Lakers, always jigging, but the few times I did troll with downriggers I had no issue seeing the weights or lure if it wasn't to far back from the clip.

This is with the PS30 on a windy day on Lake Champlain, the lower return is a Laker and the upper return in my 1/2oz jig head with a 3.5in soft bait.
    IMG_4924.jpg

Fish on!!!
    C//
    8410XSV, 8612XSV
    GT15, GT40, PS30
    GPSMAP 536
    2022 Lund Impact XS 1775
    115 Pro XS

9. Member
    I think you can be pretty sure you would not see your lure in that situation with LVS.
    My wife asks if I'm going to fish every day. I can't fish every day. Some days I might be sick.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Astrochris View Post
    I completely agree with Treeguyus.
    I also fish deep (70 - 110 feet) for lake trout in lake Champlain NY, I used the PS22 for half of summer 2018 until I purchased a PS30. I was on the fence between Livescope and PS30 at the time of purchase. I decided to go with the PS30 because of the exaggerated rendition of the returns compared to LS. I can stand 6 feet away from the unit and easily see the 1/2oz lure in 90 fow on the 10' screen,, not sure it's the case with LS.
    I don't troll much for Lakers, always jigging, but the few times I did troll with downriggers I had no issue seeing the weights or lure if it wasn't to far back from the clip.

This is with the PS30 on a windy day on Lake Champlain, the lower return is a Laker and the upper return in my 1/2oz jig head with a 3.5in soft bait.
    IMG_4924.jpg

Fish on!!!
    C//
    Astrochris..very well explained and having used both I totally agree.

11. Member
    Thanks for the info. I definitely want to get the PS30 going too. I do also think the Livescope will have great benefits for some applications like schooling lake whitefish that we get later in summer when they're locked into big schools of perch fry in 30-80 fow. For that I've just added this Fishing Specialties down rod and base in conjunction with a Bert's Custom tackle 6" track and short electronics pedestal for up front so that I will be able to scan the drop offs where the whitefish like to congregate on the perch fry schools, and make sure I stay on the schools as they move around. I plan to add that PS30 also. I just don't see the livescope working well with deeper water and downriggers. Do you guys think I will be able to mount that PS30 on my extended transom and get a decent view from there? It might just be a "Try it and see" scenario, I think.
    Attachment 359602Attachment 359609Attachment 359610
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by sra61; 04-08-2019 at 04:40 PM.

12. Member
    Perfect, someone with the same dilemma as me! Did you get your ps30 yet? Or have you brought the livescope out?

13. Member
    On this same subject but from a different perspective.... New thread time or not?

I'm bass fishing, mostly Toledo Bend(Tx/La)(notice TX first! lol). What I think is on the agenda is 30' to shallow. 75' out w/crankbaits/swimbaits I think I want an Lvs32 but this conversation has made me question that. There are times I'll be vertical fishing with drop shots n' spoons n' such. But again MAYBE.... 40' max but for sure 30' and less. What say the masses? Is the Lvs 32 "IT" or should I consider something else?

Quote Originally Posted by yupitsme View Post
    On this same subject but from a different perspective.... New thread time or not?

I'm bass fishing, mostly Toledo Bend(Tx/La)(notice TX first! lol). What I think is on the agenda is 30' to shallow. 75' out w/crankbaits/swimbaits I think I want an Lvs32 but this conversation has made me question that. There are times I'll be vertical fishing with drop shots n' spoons n' such. But again MAYBE.... 40' max but for sure 30' and less. What say the masses? Is the Lvs 32 "IT" or should I consider something else?
    LVS32 will do all you want in these depths.
    Garmin Pro Team

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd Driscoll View Post
    LVS32 will do all you want in these depths.
    Thanks... Lvs32 it is...

16. Member
    I've used both, LVS32 is what you want.

17. Member
    Thank you very much. I swear every time I think I’ve got my list locked down - I learn something else that muddies the water - so to speak.

I used the spoon yesterday on a school sitting on bottom in 35ft water. I just stayed within 50ft of them and had no trouble seeing the spoon and landed 13 fish. You are able to pinpoint each and every cast.

19. Member
    Have settled with PS-31 and PS-30 for my fishing boats. Trolling and fishing deep. Have a PS-30 on a deep V however it is near the portside which levels out. Can see the benefits of LV for sure with schooling fish. Azohunter can relate to this, Gary Roach (one of the top walleye fisherman in the country) during the era of flashers would say. "IF I see blips on my screen, may not know what they are, just that there is activity, fish or bait, a good place to stop and fish better then spots that have no activity" With the 30 or 31 may not have the resolution to see the "fins on the fish" as one person told me, for example, but both will show individual "blobs" fish. The blobs are smaller or larger surmise game fish or bait. Another application with the PS-31 mounted on my Terrova is 90-degree starboard, ex" towards shore" can see the top of the break and the slope helps me realize the distance from the top out if I turn the 90-degree portside actually can see the suspended fish and how far away the fish are from my boat. The distance capabilities of the 31 a huge advantage.

Again the limited time have seen live scope "but" the features, cone angles range that the 31-30 offer for my fishing to the reason have not made the switch. I have bought a PS-21 to mount on the barrel of my Vantage on the transom of my smaller boat. So far I like as I can rotate "sweep" the 21 when back trolling can spots dips and points protruding from the break and any fish cruising "blobs" need more time with it to see its full potential.

When asked about electronics, my first questions is how and where one fishes. Todd, I have a concern that some that sell live scope need to understand the angling application, I have found that live-scope is not the one size fits all. Higher then normal expectations can lead to disapointment
    Last edited by Treeguyus; 05-23-2019 at 05:15 AM.

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SamMule View Post
    Perfect, someone with the same dilemma as me! Did you get your ps30 yet? Or have you brought the livescope out?
    Work has gotten in the way, and I'm just now getting back to the more important business at hand. I haven't gotten the boat out yet. Today, I did find on Ebay, a guy with a PS30 listed for $750, which I made an offer on and got! So that was cool, like half off! That is my last piece of the puzzle. I have both 93+ units installed and the livescope on the F.S. pole, and all connected to the network hub. I also have taken the Humminbird 360° transducer off, and left the two Helix 10's networked with the Terrova TM. The PS30 should be here by next weekend. At that point I will have to make a decision on mounting place.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast