AVX1980 question

Why is the 1980 only rated for a 150?

xpress x19, 200ho G2, aluminum sawtooth cut prop, paper sack tackle storage, ugly stik pro team, color c-lector

How fast do you need to go?

3. Member
    Because that's what it was designed for?

Do you really need 200hp on a 19' aluminum boat?

5. Moderator Vexus Boats sclark's Avatar
    Company decision based on target boating segment and targeted price point.

If you want a bigger motor, go with the 2080 w/ the 200. Similar to the X19 you ordered but the Vexus is 14 inches longer.
    2021 Vexus 2080, Merc ProXs 200
    2019 Vexus 1980, Evinrude G2 150 H.O. - moved onto a new owner

Quote Originally Posted by angleiron View Post
    How fast do you need to go?
    I put this question out there as being curious? I used to tournament fish, and had boats (Allison and Strokers) that would do 90mph + GPS. Then one day I decided that tournament fishing just wasn't fun anymore for me...and I guess I went slumming and bought a 17' SeaArk with a 90hp Etec. It did 45mph GPS on a good day, but I started having fun again fishing. Had the boat for 12 years, just sold it, and have a 1980 on order with a 150 HO Evinrude coming. I expect the new boat to do 60mph + which is fine for what it is going to be used for.

Speed is fun...don't get me wrong but there will come a time when you start to realize that a few mph isn't that big of a deal. If you are a serious tournament fisherman then speed is a tool to allow you to fish longer. To be honest that SeaArk with the 90 was a boat that I had the most fun in. No more worries about fiberglass, filling up 52 gallons of gas every time I went out. Not fishing an area because I was worried about boat damage, and the list goes on. Ever since going with tin boats I do not see myself ever going back to a glass boat. Now I can fish without having to think about any consequences :-)

Quote Originally Posted by BoatNoobie View Post
    Because that's what it was designed for?
    No your expectations are not on point. The boat builder estimated the speed for this boat for a 150HP motor. Now the Etec HO is a super charged motor that meet's 10% threshold and pumps out 165HP. I can't speak for the other motors but would assume similar to same HP's.

Good luck!

I'm holding off to early 4th quarter and looking for the best deal that's between a Vexus and a BassCat. Tick Tock! I'm going with best offer. My options are win/win. Like them both. Let's make a deal.

Quote Originally Posted by angleiron View Post
    I put this question out there as being curious? I used to tournament fish, and had boats (Allison and Strokers) that would do 90mph + GPS. Then one day I decided that tournament fishing just wasn't fun anymore for me...and I guess I went slumming and bought a 17' SeaArk with a 90hp Etec. It did 45mph GPS on a good day, but I started having fun again fishing. Had the boat for 12 years, just sold it, and have a 1980 on order with a 150 HO Evinrude coming. I expect the new boat to do 60mph + which is fine for what it is going to be used for.

Speed is fun...don't get me wrong but there will come a time when you start to realize that a few mph isn't that big of a deal. If you are a serious tournament fisherman then speed is a tool to allow you to fish longer. To be honest that SeaArk with the 90 was a boat that I had the most fun in. No more worries about fiberglass, filling up 52 gallons of gas every time I went out. Not fishing an area because I was worried about boat damage, and the list goes on. Ever since going with tin boats I do not see myself ever going back to a glass boat. Now I can fish without having to think about any consequences :-)

I am slowing down- a bunch. I could have put a 150 on the xpress but wanted a bigger motor. I was looking between the ranger/triton, vexus and xpress. Really liked the vexus but like the ranger i wondered why it was under-rated for its size

xpress x19, 200ho G2, aluminum sawtooth cut prop, paper sack tackle storage, ugly stik pro team, color c-lector

Does anyone other manufacturer purposely under rate there boat disregarding what it could be rated for other than Venus? I do understand the price point and it might hurt fiberglass sales. I'm not aware of others could be wrong.
    1998 bullet 20xd 2006 225 sport xs

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MIKER2702 View Post
    Does anyone other manufacturer purposely under rate there boat disregarding what it could be rated for other than Venus? I do understand the price point and it might hurt fiberglass sales. I'm not aware of others could be wrong.
    Pardon me for posting on not my forum but have been following Vexus from the beginning. I really like the aluminum series and maybe someday will have one.

Ranger has the Z518 and Z518c. Exact same boats but the 518 is rated for a 150 and the 518c is rated for a 200. The 518c has a number of upgraded features and more bling for more money, of course. It's a price point thing I would guess. I had a Z118, now the 518, for 5 years and never did warm up to the 150.
    Jim
    2023 Triton 19 TRX Patriot, gunmetal/carbon mist/silver mist, 225 Merc Pro XS, SN 3B265119

12. Member
    All manufacturers rate their boats with marketing in mind. The last I heard Pheniox had a hull they sold under 2 different model numbers with different horsepower ratings. If you wanted the higher horsepower you had to buy the model loaded up with more accessories.

13. Member
    Lowerider58, you are right about the two Phoenix models. The 819 (rated for 200 max) and 919 (rated for 225 max) are the exact same hulls.

It should be the buyers choice if he wants a smaller motor. If youre targeting a specific market then package it with a smaller motor. When building one online or at the dealer the customer could choose between the smaller or bigger motor according to their needs or budget- tracker boats have been doing this exact thing for a long time. You can put a 150 on a z522 if you want- it should be your choice, not rate it that way