Premium rod guides

I have a custom rod I bought built with Recoil guides, I really like them for sensitivity, light weight and durability. The only reason I want to try something different is because the line can wrap around the guide if I’m not careful.

What is is a good lightweight, sensitive and durable guide recommendation?
    David Geske
    Boatless Family Man

2. Member
    I just built two rods with Fuji K series T2 guides. Titanium frame with slim SIC rings.

3 KW's in sizes 10, 8, and 6. Two #5 KB's, and six #5 KT's and a Arowana tip top 4.5 tube, #5 ring. The entire set weighs 2 grams. Absolutely gorgeous guides

3. Member
    Go ahead and go with torzite and titanium frame. 1 kw 6, 1 kb 5, 2 kb 4, finish off with 7 - 10 kt 4 depending on length of rod. Don't know why but those wrap easier than any eye I have tried so far.

4. Member
    I just did two builds to compare high end vs. mid range components.

For Torzite a TKTWAG7, TKBTG6, TKBTG5.5 and 7 TKTTG5.5s weighs 1.1g and costs $109.57 retail

For Alconite a KWAG7, KBAG6, KBAG5.5 and 7 KTAG5.5s weighs 1.8g and costs $28.00 retail

Spend what you want but for my money I'm going with Alconites. The weight difference is negligible and I've got Alconites on rods I wrapped 15 years ago that haven't given me a single problem.

5. Member
    I should add this is for a finesse spinning application. IDK if that changes anyones opinion.
    David Geske
    Boatless Family Man

6. Member
    look up get bit Facebook live talking about Fuji guides. From my take is spend the most amount of money you can afford to with guides. If you can only afford alconite then do alconite, if your budget is endless go ahead and spring for the torzite. Both are great just all depends what budge you have and what you want total cost of rod to be.

7. Member
    Waiting on the vibranium guides out of Wakanda myself.

Allen

I've been putting AirWave (I think they're calling them Microwave Air now) on my spinning rod builds for a while now. They're cheap, extremely lightweight, perform very well, and hold up great. Especially for someone who's not building a ton of rods, an added advantage is there's no thought that goes into it with constructing a guide train and having to buy individual guides, and the spacing suggestions are laid out for you to get a good starting point for placement.

Fuji Alconites are great too. I'd never personally spend the money on Torzites, but I also won't spend the money on recoils so take that for what it's worth.
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360

Quote Originally Posted by denraytay View Post
    look up get bit Facebook live talking about Fuji guides. From my take is spend the most amount of money you can afford to with guides. If you can only afford alconite then do alconite, if your budget is endless go ahead and spring for the torzite. Both are great just all depends what budge you have and what you want total cost of rod to be.
    You have to remember incentives for the person who's making that video...I'd wager a fair sum that they make more on a set of Torzites than they do Alconites. I'm not saying that Torzites wouldn't be better, it's just that everything I've heard and read about them and the times that I've handled them suggest to me that they're definitely not worth 4 times as much.

I also won't spend $600 on a fishing reel when I think it's only a marginal improvement over a $150 option. I think you can look at this in a very similar manner, except that a custom built rod that cost $150 in components will perform as well as a $600 production rod when the custom built rod was done by someone who knows what they're doing.
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360

10. Member
    Good info here guys, thank you.
    Ive certainly decided on 2 Rainshadow Eternity blanks (7’2” M XF and 7’2” ML F). I’ve got the reel seats picked out and handle grips. Still deciding on guides.
    David Geske
    Boatless Family Man