Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Issue with a dog around my house any LEOs step inside please

This might be a long post and I am sorry in advance

For almost a month now we have had a Pitbull running around our neighborhood. The dog normally runs off when it sees me and has not acted aggressive towards me. I am getting concerned about his behavior towards my son over the past couple days. My son is 8 BTW. He is getting bolder and other neighbors are noticing this too.

My son was outside Sunday evening and the dog comes up and gets about 10' from him and my son runs inside. I went out the door and he takes off. About 20 mins later he circles around and starts up from behind again, but this time I am watching him. When he starts back towards my son I open the door and step out and he slowly turns around and goes the other way while looking over his shoulder. It gave me the creeps looking into the does eyes. He had the look of a predator.
    He did the same thing yesterday afternoon this time he was so focused on my son he about got hit by a car when crossing the street.

I have reported this to animal control 3 times now along with the owners address the last two times I called once I discovered who owned it. One of the two times I gave the address to a supervisor which is a Deputy Sheriff. Several other homeowners have called and complained about the dog, but it sounds like they have come out once to try and find the dog about 2 1/2 weeks ago which was before I had the owners address. This morning I filled a complaint with the code enforcement department which is with the city not the county Sheriff office in hopes of getting something to happen. I could call the city police out but they are going to push this to animal control. I really do not know what else I can do at this point. I have my calls to animal control and text to the supervisor documented.

The owner of the dog is a turd trying to talk him will do no good others already have actually.

That brings me to the worst case scenario. If the dog makes a fast move towards my son I am not going to wait to see if he wants to play or chew on a limb. That risk is two great to allow my son to get maimed or worse. I think I have covered all of my bases if I am forced to use deadly force to stop a possible attack.

Does anyone else have any suggestions?
    Last edited by Rodney P; 04-02-2019 at 12:13 PM.

I think you've done your best to handle it the right way and are justified using whatever force is necessary now. Good luck

3. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    SSS.

Shoot. Shovel. Shut Up.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

4. Member
    Be careful Rodney. Two neighbors of mine had a dog issue similar to this. The dog was finally shot by the non owning neighbor, an hour late the dog owner knocked on his door, when the guy answered he shot him. Lucky for all it was not fatal.

Steve Dyer
    Mt. Pleasant, NC

Quote Originally Posted by SteveDyer View Post
    Be careful Rodney. Two neighbors of mine had a dog issue similar to this. The dog was finally shot by the non owning neighbor, an hour late the dog owner knocked on his door, when the guy answered he shot him. Lucky for all it was not fatal.
    I actually remember seeing that in the news Steve. It is something else I have running in my head also. My hope is just me being outside will keep the dog away because I would much rather him stay away than the alternative.

6. Member
    "My hope is just me being outside will keep the dog away because I would much rather him stay away than the alternative." Don't put your self in a situation where you are uncomfortable with your son being in your yard without you.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CatFan View Post
    SSS.

Shoot. Shovel. Shut Up.
    been there done that with a pitbull. except no collar and no owner. I think he was dumped off

8. Banned
    If you are a CWC, then you have everything in your right to kill that dog in the right situation.

9. Member
    Good bb or pellet gun. Burn his ass and bet he don’t come back

I had a pit that attacked a neighbors dog. He turned on me in the process of getting him off of the other dog. Cost me about a$1000 to fix the neibhors dog. I got him home and ended any Possibility of it ever happening again. Most times the SSS method is best. I have used it before. A friend of mine lost his nephew to a pit bull attack at a family reunion with 20 adult men sitting right there. The dog was raised with the kid. Made a circle looking at him the way you described earlier. Lunged and got him by the throat and it was done that fast. No damn dog is worth taking a risk over. Especially a pit bull. Flame on
    There’s no use being stupid if you’re not willing to show it off.

Quote Originally Posted by yatesville88fan View Post
    Good bb or pellet gun. Burn his ass and bet he don’t come back
    Don’t do that, as you could put someone’s eye out.

The dog needs to be captured immediately.

12. Member
    you've already done more than I would have...the second time the dog came into my yard I would have taken care of it...

How about trying a capture pen. Followed by a looong drive down a country road
    You can censor my speech but not my thoughts or will
    We are living in a time where intelligent people are being silenced so stupid people won't be offended

"Dog relocation" would work well only if you knew where to free the dog...like the Police Chief's or Mayor's neighborhood. I would drive about 2-3 counties away and take it to the ASPCA there. Pay the fee to have it euthanized. Pay cash and give the person a $50 under the table. Cheaper in the long run.
    Don't bother me, I'm screwing for virginity.

I killed a 12-pack just to watch it die.

15. Member
    Rodney our animal control department was lazy and most of the deputies didn’t feel like it was their responsibility to deal with animals. They are only going to come out to help you if you make them. Get all your neighbors together and start calling your non-emergency line to the county sherriffs department. You all need to call twice a day every day until they come out and talk to the neighbor. Organize calls once in the morning for the fist shift and once in the evening for second shift. You guys are going to have to blow up Animal Controls phone if you want those sacks to get off their ass! Some creative exaggerating and embellishing won’t hurt. Most of the day is spent dealing with drugs, drunks, and domestics so your going to have raise hell to get noticed.

16. Member
    I would be at the next City and County meeting and i would make sure my voice was heard. In the mean time take the steps you need too. After i was heard at the meetings i would end the problem immediately if the Animal control people were not highly visible until the dog was captured. It is a sad State of affairs when a child cannot even go outside in their own yard. It is unacceptable. The owner should be contacted and served papers by the County and City attorney.

17. Member
    For right now get a sprayer and load it with ammonia, chase the bugger while spraying. Keep a thorough eye on your son. I don't believe in shooting strays and you seem to have done all you can.
    Maybe send your state representative the forms you have sent and ask him/her.

18. Member
    Call the TV station, they like those kind of stories.

19. Member
    Bear spray?

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by petehilton View Post
    Bear spray?
    nope, buckshot

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast