Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Coach Cal here to stay

​Kentucky fans might be getting greedy in terms of their ​expectations for John Calipari, but the University itself understands exactly what they have in the 60-year-old coach.

Fresh off another Elite 8 appearance with the Wildcats, Kentucky has reportedly offered Coach Cal what amounts to a lifetime contract. This comes on the heels of ​alleged interest by UCLA, which reportedly offered Calipari a six-year deal in the $48 million range. Kentucky's response includes a 10-year tenure as coach, with an ambassador position to follow.

This won't be the last time a college coach uses another school to leverage a new contract of his own, but it's rare to see it done involving two true blue-bloods such as Kentucky and UCLA.

Now all the rumors can be put to rest!!!!!!!

2. Member
    Good deal. Still the best. People expect too much. The kids need to listen to him and do what the coaches tell them. I thought sweet sixteen was the best they could do this year.

3. Member
    Stupid!!! It makes no sense for an institution to bind themselves to a lifetime contract........ regardless of who the coach is. Just not very smart! Too much can/could happen. Often times people ask what defines success..... hear it all the time. If a group of freshman and sweet sixteens and elite 8's is what your after then have at it...... 10 years later and 50 million dollars in salary..... Calipari is essentially tied with Tubby Smith! It is evident that it is extremely difficult to win championships with freshman and little leadership. His in game coaching decisions.... especially late game decisions.... quite frankly suck!! He himself admitted it! " I got outcoached". Are you freaking kidding me. As the highest paid coach in college athletics, why would you make such comments. It is your job to switch to a 2-3 zone defense when the opposing player is blowing by your man-to- man defense! It is your job to have Nick Richards and Montgomery in the game as a shot blockers and help defense! Kentucky is way longer than Auburn and points in the paint were tied at halftime??? Are you freaking kidding me? Oh... Calipari did say he was preparing to utilize the zone..... against Duke. LOLOLOL!! But you people keep giving him credit for recruiting his Mcdonald All Americans every year. When the one and done is abolished..... which will be sooner than later..... you will see Calipari step aside to save he and UK the embarrassment of his inabilities to coach the game of basketball. Meanwhile he will continue to advocate to water down and scar the college entrance requirements and standards to allow these kids to "stop by" for a year until he can get them shipped off to the next level. Should be about the game and what is written across the front of the Jersey.... not who I can get in here and how much money they can make. Calipari is all about the money.... he boasts about it often. Its not about the school or the education. This current philospy obviously makes most happy... I think it is sad!!

4. Member
    Interesting take, lizard.

Contract aside, I'd argue Cal had perhaps one of his best years from a pure coaching perspective. He catches heat at times for not being an X's and O's coach (some of which he deserves), but as a fan I don't think you can complain much about his performance this tournament. Maybe a little less Hagans in the final game but Quickley was bad as well. I could get behind that idea though. Maybe a little more EJ Montgomery to protect the rim but that means taking Reid Travis or PJ off the floor, neither of which seem like good ideas. Nick Richards was absolutely horrendous when Cal put him in. Small sample size but he had 2 opportunities to make plays and handled them both about as poorly as possible. But while we are bashing Cal, let's give credit to what he did well.

- We seemingly scored out of every timeout. That's an exaggeration, but we were very efficient out of timeouts.
    - His timeout to settle the guys down and draw up a play against Houston in the final minute which led to a PJ And-1 was beautiful (and was executed perfectly by the team). The team was rattled before that TO, and it was a play we had to have.
    - His adjustment to double to ball when we were down 58-52 to Auburn is the only reason we even had a chance. Went on an 8-0 run after that.

I guess what I'm getting at is are you mad at his coaching or mad that the players missed shots, missed FT's, and turned the ball over too much?

You mentioned going zone to contain penetration, but I hope you realize Auburn is ranked #1 in all of NCAA in 3-pt FG makes. If Calipari goes zone against Auburn, I along with the entire world would crush him for that coaching decision. For reference, Duke is 330th in that department so yes, a zone makes sense against them.

At the end of the day if titles are the standard then you are right, there are 3 programs that have been more successful than UK during the Cal Era (Uconn, Villanova, Duke lead us 2-1). By any other standard UK has been the best program since he's been here but let's say you're right and titles are all that matter. I'm of the opinion that you probably can't hire Coach K or Jay Wright to come coach here. That leaves Uconn. Jim Calhoun retired and Kevin Ollie got fired by them even after winning a title but maybe he's available to rehire. Would you prefer Kevin Ollie? What exactly are you proposing?
    Last edited by Maddog10; 04-02-2019 at 01:29 PM.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Maddog10 View Post
    Interesting take, lizard.

Contract aside, I'd argue Cal had perhaps one of his best years from a pure coaching perspective. He catches heat at times for not being an X's and O's coach (some of which he deserves), but as a fan I don't think you can complain much about his performance this tournament. Maybe a little less Hagans in the final game but Quickley was bad as well. I could get behind that idea though. Maybe a little more EJ Montgomery to protect the rim but that means taking Reid Travis or PJ off the floor, neither of which seem like good ideas. Nick Richards was absolutely horrendous when Cal put him in. Small sample size but he had 2 opportunities to make plays and handled them both about as poorly as possible. But while we are bashing Cal, let's give credit to what he did well.

- We seemingly scored out of every timeout. That's an exaggeration, but we were very efficient out of timeouts.
    - His timeout to settle the guys down and draw up a play against Houston in the final minute which led to a PJ And-1 was beautiful (and was executed perfectly by the team). The team was rattled before that TO, and it was a play we had to have.
    - His adjustment to double to ball when we were down 58-52 to Auburn is the only reason we even had a chance. Went on an 8-0 run after that.

I guess what I'm getting at is are you mad at his coaching or mad that the players missed shots, missed FT's, and turned the ball over too much?

You mentioned going zone to contain penetration, but I hope you realize Auburn is ranked #1 in all of NCAA in 3-pt FG makes. If Calipari goes zone against Auburn, I along with the entire world would crush him for that coaching decision. For reference, Duke is 330th in that department so yes, a zone makes sense against them.

At the end of the day if titles are the standard then you are right, there are 3 programs that have been more successful than UK during the Cal Era (Uconn, Villanova, Duke lead us 2-1). By any other standard UK has been the best program since he's been here but let's say you're right and titles are all that matter. I'm of the opinion that you probably can't hire Coach K or Jay Wright to come coach here. That leaves Uconn. Jim Calhoun retired and Kevin Ollie got fired by them even after winning a title but maybe he's available to rehire. Would you prefer Kevin Ollie? What exactly are you proposing?
    I think you have to at least try the zone defense and at least make them hit their shots. Clearly, Pearl recognized the opportunity to penetrate the man-to-man and boy did he capitalize on the opportunity! Anyway I could sit here and go on and on about whata shoulda coulda but you ask what exactly I propose.... This is coming from the biggest UK fan out there....... I have had a problem with the current system for many years. I have been extremely critical of the one and done. I realize Calipari utilizes the system to his advantage. He loves to boast and brag about putting these kids into the NBA and the number of lottery picks and the amount of money they are making. All a recruiting tool of course. But the day is rapidly approaching that the one and done is abolished. Sooner than later. Calipari will be forced to make changes and actually start building and coaching these kids. Personally, I think he goes from hero to zero when you take away his recruiting abilities and he and other coaches are forced to to teach and coach average athletes. It all of a sudden changes the philosophy and dynamics in Lexington. I feel he will step away at this point to save his and UK's emabrrassment. But.......... in the meantime Calipari is creating a monster at the University of Kentucky and making this coaching job less desirable and at some point many coaches will turn a deaf ear when they come calling. Many people will say, "if he left then who is available to replace him"? Hear this all the time. Thing is most UK fans have the same mindset and are narrow minded. If people are thinking of replacing Calipari with an Elite recruiter who has unequivocal NBA ties, then the answer is...no one! But to replace him with a basketball coach with average recruiting abilities that desires to build team chemistry and leadership... and ultimately play for what is on the front of each kids jersey, then a number of coaches come to mind. Ray Harper comes to mind...... Steve Prohm comes to mind. Both of these guys can get it done between the lines on the basketball court. Unfortunately probably will never get the opportunity at UK but boy people that understand the game of basketball would be hard pressed to dissagree with either of the two i mention. Anyway.... not going happen. Its just a different mindset and approach to current practice. I can't get my mind around any Institution signing a lifetime contract with any one. And this decision comes the next day after losing in the tournament???? Seems a little strange and should raise all kinds of flags. And when he steps away from coaching, he remains an ammbassador to UK athletics??? WTF? Stupid. Like I said he and UK have created a monster at this position. I never thought I would say this but I am going on record and saying I just may have to become a University of Louisville fan. Where is Artcarney when you need him??? LOL!

I am glad he is our coach and here till he is done. Haters go pull for U6
    Ranger Forever

7. Member
    Respectfully Lizard, I consider myself a person that "understands the game of basketball" and agree that both Ray Harper and Steve Prohm are very good coaches and have attributed greatly to the rise of the OVC. Prohm has struggled a bit on the bigger stage but hopefully ISU sticks with him for a while. Are they an adequate replacement for Cal at UK? At this point in their careers I'm going to respectfully disagree.

Bottom line is Cal is the only coach that takes this kind of heat which is completely hypocritical.

- Roy Williams recruited great young talent to mix with an experienced team. He "built a program" as you put it and got blown out by 20. Probably had the best team in the tourney if we're honest.
    - Coach K had the most talented college team that we have probably ever witnessed, and they managed to get worse day by day. They peaked in November and progressively got worse. Imagine the response if Cal had that roster with their results.
    - Jay Wright returns two redshirt seniors and a couple other contributors off a national championship team and had a very underwhelming year.

Point is, the passion of the UK fanbase often works against Cal. Media outlets know this so they post catchy headlines which means clicks which means $$$. But shove everything aside and take a macro look at this team. Our improvement from November to March was astonishing. I would say we were the most improved team in the country with the only exception maybe being UNC who laid an even bigger egg than we did. So while I agree that he does try to recruit the best talent, to act as if he does nothing with that talent is shallow.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by barkleyhawggitter View Post
    I am glad he is our coach and here till he is done. Haters go pull for U6

Boy that was a real intelligent response.... but comes as no surprise as most say the same thing... "Coach Cal is here to stay!!!!"

Quote Originally Posted by lizardrig View Post
    Boy that was a real intelligent response.... but comes as no surprise as most say the same thing... "Coach Cal is here to stay!!!!"
    Calm down Linda.
    Ranger Forever

10. Member
    Respectfully Lizard, I consider myself a person that "understands the game of basketball" and agree that both Ray Harper and Steve Prohm are very good coaches and have attributed greatly to the rise of the OVC. Prohm has struggled a bit on the bigger stage but hopefully ISU sticks with him for a while. Are they an adequate replacement for Cal at UK? At this point in their careers I'm going to respectfully disagree.

Bottom line is Cal is the only coach that takes this kind of heat which is completely hypocritical.

- Roy Williams recruited great young talent to mix with an experienced team. He "built a program" as you put it and got blown out by 20. Probably had the best team in the tourney if we're honest.
    - Coach K had the most talented college team that we have probably ever witnessed, and they managed to get worse day by day. They peaked in November and progressively got worse. Imagine the response if Cal had that roster with their results.
    - Jay Wright returns two redshirt seniors and a couple other contributors off a national championship team and had a very underwhelming year.

Point is, the passion of the UK fanbase often works against Cal. Media outlets know this so they post catchy headlines which means clicks which means $$$. But shove everything aside and take a macro look at this team. Our improvement from November to March was astonishing. I would say we were the most improved team in the country with the only exception maybe being UNC who laid an even bigger egg than we did. So while I agree that he does try to recruit the best talent, to act as if he does nothing with that talent is shallow.

Its nice having a conversation and exploiting different takes on UK basketball and I appreciate that. Agreeing and disagreeing equates to fun dialogue. As we look back at this season I cannot help but start at the Bahamas. 4 and 0 against supposedly paid pro talent. They looked stellar to say the least! Dan Dakich stated then that this team will raise the banner this year no question if......wait for it...........”if Calipari can continue to coach and exploit each of these kids potential” As most know, who halfway follow and understand college basketball, that Dan Dakich is not exactly the biggest UK fan in existence. But love him or hate him his knowledge of the game is impeccable. Dan Dakich has the number 1 rated sports talk radio show in the country! No it’s not KSR... im sorry to inform. As I sit here I can’t help but reminisce of past UK players that in all honesty Calapri would not even sniffed at. Jeff Brassow, John Pelphry, Rex Chapman, Tayshaun Prince, Antoine Walker, Ron Mercer, Walter McCarty, Jeff Sheppard, Ritchie Farmer... come to mind. I think everyone would agree that these guys would not have met Calipari’s expectations initially and ultimately overlooked. To me the aforementioned athletes help define UK basketball and all are probably in top 25 to 30 best to play at Rupp Arena. They stuck around, fans connected, fans felt they knew them personally. Whereas nowadays, some “UK fans” still can’t name the roster because they never feel the connection and/or tradition of UK basketball. Sad but true. Lastly you say that Cal is often the one criticized. As I stated before, Cal has created this monster at UK and the fans and the basketball world will continue to thrash. And as I said previously, he is making it a much less desirable position within the college ranks. If you look at the entire picture with an open mind... cuuent practice cannot withstand the test of time and he will then be forced to produce! Then what will the fans and critics alike be saying about John Calipari?

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by barkleyhawggitter View Post
    Calm down Linda.
    if your going chime in then bring it...... at least add substance to your comment Wilbur!

Ranger Forever

13. Member
    Touchy subject I see, as always here in the state. I will say this, he's a fun coach, gets great talent every year and most of the time has them playing well and together by tournament time . Master recruiter and a motivator deluxe, a basketball mind he's not. Biggest mistake he makes is slowing down the game every year when he gets to the dance. Would have lost the championship if Lamb hadn't hit a 3 at the right time, and MKG plays out of his mind at the last of the game. And they were the best team by far.

With all that being said, there is really no one else that I rather see have the job. Theres not anyone that's going to have the record or wins in the tournament than he is, that comes from the part of coaching he's really good at. A lifetime contract though..... I don't know about that. A lot of unexpected stuff can happen.

14. Member
    It will be a debate long after my interest dissipates of course.... My belief/opinion will remain that there are other "coaches" that would have success at the University of Kentucky. Unlike most UK fans, my feelings/opinion would remain the same regardless if they win the national championship or exit the first round of the tourny. It is what it is.... Contrary to most opinion, the University of Kentucky is much bigger than John Calipari and Mitch Barnhart. It is simply not wise to offer a lifetime contract to any coach, collegiate and/or professional. For instance one scenario being, something happens and the University decides it's in it's best interest to sever ties with Calipari and go a different direction. See it happen all the time in other places, for different reasons. For example recruiting violations(did I just say that?), receiving incentives to steer NBA bound players toward sports agents, financial advisers and apparel companies (did I just say that ??), the list could go on and on... It is laughable if people don't think this behavior is going on in several places within NCAA! Some get caught, some don't. It's like playing the lottery... Good Luck and take your chances I guess! I promise you Calipari is not running a silky clean, smooth program as most would argue. Just a different take and spin on the situation. We will see how it all plays out....

Hey barkleyhawggetter your last post is better.... You a fan of KSR too I take it?

15. Member
    Eventually we'll know the details of this "lifetime" contract, but I agree that if it truly is lifetime then that is a senseless deal on UK's behalf for all the reasons you mentioned, plus more. I'm sure there has to be some type of "cause" statement saying that the contract can't be terminated without cause, but that the university could fire him should any of the issues you mentioned become a reality.

Performance alone is enough reason to not offer a true lifetime contract though. I assume it's just a long term deal (10 years or something) with a buyout for early termination.

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lizardrig View Post
    I think you have to at least try the zone defense and at least make them hit their shots. Clearly, Pearl recognized the opportunity to penetrate the man-to-man and boy did he capitalize on the opportunity! Anyway I could sit here and go on and on about whata shoulda coulda but you ask what exactly I propose.... This is coming from the biggest UK fan out there....... I have had a problem with the current system for many years. I have been extremely critical of the one and done. I realize Calipari utilizes the system to his advantage. He loves to boast and brag about putting these kids into the NBA and the number of lottery picks and the amount of money they are making. All a recruiting tool of course. But the day is rapidly approaching that the one and done is abolished. Sooner than later. Calipari will be forced to make changes and actually start building and coaching these kids. Personally, I think he goes from hero to zero when you take away his recruiting abilities and he and other coaches are forced to to teach and coach average athletes. It all of a sudden changes the philosophy and dynamics in Lexington. I feel he will step away at this point to save his and UK's emabrrassment. But.......... in the meantime Calipari is creating a monster at the University of Kentucky and making this coaching job less desirable and at some point many coaches will turn a deaf ear when they come calling. Many people will say, "if he left then who is available to replace him"? Hear this all the time. Thing is most UK fans have the same mindset and are narrow minded. If people are thinking of replacing Calipari with an Elite recruiter who has unequivocal NBA ties, then the answer is...no one! But to replace him with a basketball coach with average recruiting abilities that desires to build team chemistry and leadership... and ultimately play for what is on the front of each kids jersey, then a number of coaches come to mind. Ray Harper comes to mind...... Steve Prohm comes to mind. Both of these guys can get it done between the lines on the basketball court. Unfortunately probably will never get the opportunity at UK but boy people that understand the game of basketball would be hard pressed to dissagree with either of the two i mention. Anyway.... not going happen. Its just a different mindset and approach to current practice. I can't get my mind around any Institution signing a lifetime contract with any one. And this decision comes the next day after losing in the tournament???? Seems a little strange and should raise all kinds of flags. And when he steps away from coaching, he remains an ammbassador to UK athletics??? WTF? Stupid. Like I said he and UK have created a monster at this position. I never thought I would say this but I am going on record and saying I just may have to become a University of Louisville fan. Where is Artcarney when you need him??? LOL!
    UL. Yeah because UL is a real class act with coaches. The coaches they have had in the football and basketball programs really show that.

17. Member
    Eventually we'll know the details of this "lifetime" contract, but I agree that if it truly is lifetime then that is a senseless deal on UK's behalf for all the reasons you mentioned, plus more. I'm sure there has to be some type of "cause" statement saying that the contract can't be terminated without cause, but that the university could fire him should any of the issues you mentioned become a reality.

Performance alone is enough reason to not offer a true lifetime contract though. I assume it's just a long term deal (10 years or something) with a buyout for early termination.
    Thanks for the conversation maddog10. I have truley enjoyed it. Nice being able to talk and debate different angles and perspectives.

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RangerRodney View Post
    ​Kentucky fans might be getting greedy in terms of their ​expectations for John Calipari, but the University itself understands exactly what they have in the 60-year-old coach.

Fresh off another Elite 8 appearance with the Wildcats, Kentucky has reportedly offered Coach Cal what amounts to a lifetime contract. This comes on the heels of ​alleged interest by UCLA, which reportedly offered Calipari a six-year deal in the $48 million range. Kentucky's response includes a 10-year tenure as coach, with an ambassador position to follow.

This won't be the last time a college coach uses another school to leverage a new contract of his own, but it's rare to see it done involving two true blue-bloods such as Kentucky and UCLA.

Now all the rumors can be put to rest!!!!!!!
    these two lines made me laugh rodney sorry!

no dog in the fight, carry on about yalls day

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Frogger55 View Post
    UL. Yeah because UL is a real class act with coaches. The coaches they have had in the football and basketball programs really show that.

Everybody has baggage! Would be hard pressed to dissagree??? Takes a bigger person/entity/institution to admit to their mistakes and openly move forward. Overall I think most would agree that the University of Louisville has agreed and tried to do the right thing in most situations?? As for each individual coach/person, kinda goes back to what i said above...... kinda like playing the lottery. Take your chances I guess. That is water under the bridge though of course and I believe Chris Mack is in it for all the right reasons. My opinion of course. Incredible coaching abilities (proven and successful at Xavier), I thought did an outstanding job with the kids(cards) he was dealt with coming in. As with any, time will tell. Heck Chris Mack even invited Denny Crum over to his house during the tournament selection TV broadcast. Awesome gesture and truly appreciated by Crum himself! It has been several years coming for me personally with Calipari and his UK antics in regards to whom I choose to support. That being said, and with this new "lifetime contract" and "paid ambassador as long as he lives" BS, I will be taking my talents...sorry...support to the University of Louisville!
    Go Cards!!! Artcarney would be proud of me.... I guaranteeeeeeeee it!

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Frogger55 View Post
    Speaking of UofL being a real class act with coaches and going back to my above statement that everyone has "baggage"...... Lets see... correct me if i'm wrong. The University of Kentucky mens basketball program was shut down for a year because of eligibility violations and payments to players... i think in 1951 or 1952. In mid 70's the mens basketball program was placed on probation for two years because of improper benefits to players. In 1989/90 the NCAA placed the University of Kentucky's basketball program on probation for three years for recruiting and academic violations..... uh who was the coach during the latter penalty??? You guessed it... slick Rick Pitino! So to your point Frogger55, "we all have baggage". Just apply a little makeup to cover the battle scars and move forward... I think what UofL did with Rick Pitino and AD Tom Jurich was fair and warranted. In regards to Bobby Petrino... well he was able to convince UofL that he was a "changed man" after his off the field antics at Arkansas and returning to WKU for a year. I do too believe in second chances. Most deserve second chances... but ultimately i think UofL the right decision and chose a different direction with Scott Satterfield form Appalachian State. Speaking of Bobby Petrino, one of the best offensive minds in all of football. But after a 2-8 season, $hit fixin to happen... and did. These things happen all the time.... just imagine if either of these scenarios involved a "lifetime contract" and subsequently becoming a paid ambassador to the University???? Are you freaking kidding me! At least U of L was smart enough to never do something like that. Go Cards!!!! Where is Artcarney? He surely would be proud of me?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast