Question What size Ultrex for 2010 ZX200? And anyone go from 24v to 36v in this size?

Recently purchased this new to me 2010 ZX200, and it has a 80/24v Fortrex on it. I am going to be upgrading to an Ultrex in May or June, and I'm going back and forth on what size TM to get. It seems like it should be a no brainer of a decision, but I see good reasons both for and against going up to the 112/36v.

I'm about 90% settled on going with an 80/24v Ultrex. Two biggest reasons for this...

1) I just spent the last 10 years fishing out of a 20' 3" Ranger 488Vs with an 80 lb Maxxum in it, and even running it on that heavy pig of a boat, I never once had an issue of needing more power to be able to fight the wind in any conditions that I fished in. Yes, more power would definitely have been nice in some instances, but I never felt like I couldn't fish for a full day because I was lacking peak power or lasting power for the day.

2) I like the idea of a straight drop in replacement over my current Fortrex. No fussing with anything else, just unbolt the Fortrex, drop in the Ultrex, and I'm done.

That being said, I realize that IF I'm going to upgrade to a 36v, NOW would be the time to do it. But I would like to hear from people with the same size boat on their experiences (pros and cons) that you went through if you did upgrade from the 24v to the 36v TM.

If I were to do it that way, I want to get it all done right & proper the first go. Make sure I have the proper power cables/wiring running from front to back of the boat, obviously add the extra battery, and buy a new 4 bank charger so everything can be charged from one source. To add the extra battery though, I have to move the cranking battery, as it's in the middle of that spot for batteries in the bilge area.

So thoughts from those that have gone through this? I know the 80/24v will be just fine for me. I'm trying to decide if it's worth the loss of a day and about an extra $700 total to go the extra mile and throw in the 36v model instead.

Check out my Sig! That’s all you need to know!
    2024 Phoenix 818, Mercury 175 (3B414035) Trick Steps, 3 Garmin 106 SV,s, LVS 34. BoatEFX dual bow mount. Ionic 12V 125AH, 2 12V 100 ah LiTime’s for the TM. Minn Kota 345 PCL charger,

3. Member
    I have the same year and model boat. I upgraded to an Ultrex in Nov '17. I went with the 112 36V and glad I did. Obviously I had to add an additional battery. Also moved both power pole pumps to the plate charger was mounted and built a platform for me charger to mount above the pumps.

4. Member
    I did the upgrade. New 4 bank charger(my 3 was 14 years old), battery, also did "link" just in case. I have Lowrance electronics now, but you never know. I fish in the Mississippi and Des Moines river once in awhile. Hit spot lock in the current and there you sit, I giggle every time. The upgrade worked great for me so glad I did it.
    2003 TZX 190
    2003 175 HPDI

5. Member
    An 80 is plenty for that boat.

6. Member
    Between feedback from here and elsewhere, I'm going to stick to the 80/24v/52" for the upgrade. While it would be great to get the 36v, I know I'll be just fine with the 80 . Thanks fellas, I appreciate the feedback.

7. Banned
    Is the 52” the standard size? I’m thinking of an upgrade like this but unsure of the length needed.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ifishinxs View Post
    Check out my Sig! That’s all you need to know!
    Forgot to ask, does the pedal fit the tray just fine or was that an issue?

It fits with room to spare. It even used the same screw holes as my Maxxum foot pedal.
    2024 Phoenix 818, Mercury 175 (3B414035) Trick Steps, 3 Garmin 106 SV,s, LVS 34. BoatEFX dual bow mount. Ionic 12V 125AH, 2 12V 100 ah LiTime’s for the TM. Minn Kota 345 PCL charger,

10. Member
    I have a 24v Ultrex on my 190 and consider it barely adequate. I’d definitely go 36 on a 200 or bigger.

11. Member
    I actually went the other way. I converted from 36v Fortrex down to 24v Ultrex
    I dont fish any major tournaments or trails so hauling around an extra 50-60pnds for a day of fishing just didnt make much sense for me.

12. Member
    Do ou fish rivers often? If so, 36v for sure, if not, 24v is sufficient.

13. Member
    I owned a ZX200 for many years with a Fortrex 80lb/45in. 75% of the time or more it was sufficient, but it wasn't perfect. If buying a new trolling motor for that boat I would go with a 112/36v and 52 in shaft. Let me tell you why.

1) Skeeter tends to sit "bow up" especially when loaded with fuel and/or a person on the rear deck. This tends to cause the 45in to blow out frequently in waves, whether it be boat wakes or big water waves.
    2) 36v/112lb for fishing in current. In fast current the 80 wouldn't hold and would burn through batteries quicker than I liked.
    3) 36v/112lb to turn on high and burn between docks.

As stated in earlier posts, the 80 is "fine" but if starting over with a new motor, in my opinion I'd go with the 36v/112lb.