04 295 Pro XL Trolling Motor

My 2004 MinnKota Maxxum is finally worn out and needs replaced. I am looking at both Motorguide X5 and MinnKota Fortrex. I like the foot pedal on the Motorguide and the assist on the Fortrex would be great to have. With that being said, what trolling motor fits the best on a 295? My Maxxum has a 42" shaft and always seems to be out of the water on the "breezy" days. I really don't want to add another battery for a 36 volt but i will if I have to if the 36 volt is better for the boat. I don't really fish tournaments anymore and most of my fishing is in shallow water sight fishing with the exception of summer when i like to fish deep points. If any of you have any recommendations I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks!!

45" 24v Fortrex is what i upgraded my maxxum to on my 294. Bolt holes match up so no new holes needed and the foot petal is the same so no change in muscle memory etc. It was always hard to open rod box with the 42" maxxum but with the 45" fortrex its now clear. Only downside is the cover doesn't fit anymore!
    -Justin
    2006 Stratos 294 - 200 Merc Optimax

3. Losing fish by the pound. CDN Bass's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 76Champ View Post
    45" 24v Fortrex is what i upgraded my maxxum to on my 294. Bolt holes match up so no new holes needed and the foot petal is the same so no change in muscle memory etc. It was always hard to open rod box with the 42" maxxum but with the 45" fortrex its now clear. Only downside is the cover doesn't fit anymore!

^^^ This... I had a 24v 80# Fortrex 45" on my 2004 295 Pro XL (just recently traded in). It would cavitate occasionally out on the big water, but anything in a longer shaft would be ridiculous for that deck. The 24v is more than ample to push the 295 around, even in wind and waves.

... and if you fish deep points and can afford it.... go Ultrex
    Maple syrup... I put that sh*t on everything!
    '09 Stratos 201 XL EVO DC | 250 Pro XS | Razor 4 25P | 6" JP | 10' Talons Gen 2 | 112# Ultrex | Lowrance C12 x 4 | AT | '16 RAM Rebel

4. Member
    I just put a 45" Ultrex on my '07 294 and love it. It was a huge upgrade (obviously) over the Maxxum. Rod locker is now clear to open with the motor stowed, etc.

5. Member
    Thanks for the replies! I think I am going to go with the Fortrex 45" 80#. Now I just have to decide if I get the universal sonar, Mega or just the standard motor. I will have to wait until next year to upgrade any electronics so I am just going to use the old Lowrance for now. I've never really used or had real nice electronics on the front of the boat.

Thanks

6. Losing fish by the pound. CDN Bass's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dh186 View Post
    Thanks for the replies! I think I am going to go with the Fortrex 45" 80#. Now I just have to decide if I get the universal sonar, Mega or just the standard motor. I will have to wait until next year to upgrade any electronics so I am just going to use the old Lowrance for now. I've never really used or had real nice electronics on the front of the boat.

Thanks
    Good choice!

You can go US, and as per Justin at Russell Marine Products, the Mega Imaging transducer will still fit on the TM if you decide to go that route (HB) in the future. I'm saving up for HDS Live.
    Maple syrup... I put that sh*t on everything!
    '09 Stratos 201 XL EVO DC | 250 Pro XS | Razor 4 25P | 6" JP | 10' Talons Gen 2 | 112# Ultrex | Lowrance C12 x 4 | AT | '16 RAM Rebel