Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PumaMatt View Post
    Rapala Touch Screen. Very accurate and very easy to use.

https://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Rapa...page-RTDS.html
    For the boat +1 on this.
    2001 Champion 187 Yamaha 175
    12' Talons, Lithiums and Garmins
    All pulled by a Hemi

2. Member
    I've have this out with my mate... after testing avons, digitals, weighmasters... we have both resorted to carrying DrMeter reviewed on ProductAdvisor because they are the most reliable, and the most accurate throughout the board.
    Last edited by RonShow; 03-03-2020 at 04:00 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by PumaMatt View Post
    Rapala Touch Screen. Very accurate and very easy to use.

https://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Rapa...page-RTDS.html
    This is the one I use too
    Brad Whitaker
    whittyoutdoors.com --- Use code BBC5 at checkout for 5% off
    Whitty Outdoors handmade crankbaits

08 Stratos 201XL 250 HO E-tec
    05 Weld-Craft 1852 semi-v 115/80 Mercury jetdrive

Had the Rapala touch, it broke flashing all different weights, that is the 2nd rapala scale that did not last very long for me. Just bought a Accu-cull. It does not record weights and cull feature but is accurate. I did have the Cull-M-Right back in the 90s and that was excellent but the price is real high. It was great for 20 years, and finally died.

Culling beam

Assuming we're talking about culling scales...I used to use a Rapala Touch Screen and, while it was accurate, I felt that it was too complicated and had too many issues working properly when I had cold and/or wet hands. Went to the Rapala High Contrast version which has actual buttons in addition to being easier to see in the sun and absolutely love it. Dead on accurate - my bag in the boat reliably weighs 1/2 lb less than at weigh in (and we use a mesh bag, so there's the difference) - and it's cheaper than the Touch Screen version to boot.

Once you get it down, a scale like this makes culling so much quicker and easier. I'll balance beam them if they're within a couple hundredths for peace of mind, but can't honestly say I've ever had the balance beam "overturn" the scale.
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360, Garmin 106 SV, LVS 34

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bronzefly View Post
    The Catch Commander Scale is impressive and has received rave reviews from customers of ours and fishermen in general. The "no hole" feature is nice too.
    Love my Catch Commander. Just had mine signed by Bryan Thrift
    1996 Stratos 201 pro xl
    1996 Johnson Faststrike J150GLEDB

8. Member
    Rapala digital.

9. Member
    Accu Cull,,,you’ll never regret it,get the cull tags & weight recorder as well

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by C130 View Post
    We use a Rapala digital scale and it's extremely accurate. We just fished a big bass tournament and it was within 1/100 of an ounce of the official tournament scale. It might not be the best but it's very accurate and has held up well.https://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Rapa...QaAoWYEALw_wcB
    I bought one of these Rapala scales, trying to save some money from buying another Brecknell. Checked in a metrology lab I ran, and they were 6% off on weight. So I bought another Brecknell and keep the Rapala scale for a back for when this Brecknell goes down.

11. Member
    You're not getting paid by the ounce you're getting paid for beating the other guy. If a scale is reasonably accurate the most important feature is repeatability. If it's an ounce over that is OK if it's still that ounce over for everybody's weights.

12. Member
    Yes, but, 'if' being the operative word, how would you evaluate consistency, here?

The above not withstanding, if it is off by 6%, that is too large a margin of error for me.
    (i.e. I need to know if that smallmouth was truly 7# before I shell out the $500 (or whatever it is)
    for my graphite mount.)
    Do not take your half in the middle ....

13. Member
    I also have a Berkley scale that is 11.5% off.
    I can say I've had 2 brecknell scales and my partner has had 2 Brecknell and all 4 were dead on on calibration. Not reliable but very accurate.

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RangerRic View Post
    Yes, but, 'if' being the operative word, how would you evaluate consistency, here?

The above not withstanding, if it is off by 6%, that is too large a margin of error for me.
    (i.e. I need to know if that smallmouth was truly 7# before I shell out the $500 (or whatever it is)
    for my graphite mount.)
    I would eveluate consistency if you put a 5 pound weight on it and it read the same thing every time. Either 5 pounds or close to it, but the same thing every time. I used to work contracts with Mil-Std-45662A, I know enough to be dangerous about calibration.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12