Starting Battery Question

So last season I struggled to manage battery life with the 27 XHD that came from Ranger in my 521. So this off-season I upgraded to the Interstate 31 AGM. First tourney we had fish early, so pumps ran all day on low timer. Had my 12 and 9 Carbons on all day as well. Did not run more than a 1/4 mile at a time all day after initial morning run. Noticed last few starts at the end of the day my screen starting flashing off, and she was turning over real slow. Just as it did back with the 27 series.

I know I could have posted this on the electronics page, but wanted to hear from Rangers rigged like mine. So does this amount of draw seem normal for you guys with similar rigs? I thought my battery management worries were gone once I went to a 31 glass mat? I'm wondering if my pumps have a short somewhere drawing excessive juice?

What say you?
    2018 Ranger 521C, 2023 Merc 250 Pro XS 4S (3B261295), 36V Ultrex, 10" Atlas, Power Poles, Lowrance 12 Carbon, and 2-12 Lives.

2. Member
    Never, personally, had good luck with interstate marine batteries. After I had two bad ones on successive weekends I decided it just wasn’t worth the hassle. Switched over to Batteries Plus X2 group 31 and haven’t had a problem for years. I have the 5th battery set up in my 621 but since I’ve installed these batteries I’ve never had to switch over to the 5th battery due to a low voltage issue. The one will last all day with all the electronics running, livewell and VHF radio.

3. Member
    Not to hijack, but do you all replace all your batteries with the group 31's or just the starter?? I assume the on board charger works just fine with those as well?

4. Member
    I have been happy with the group 29's that my TM runs off of now, will replace with the same. Went to the 31 AGM starter because was having to to use jump switch when running pumps continuous
    2018 Ranger 521C, 2023 Merc 250 Pro XS 4S (3B261295), 36V Ultrex, 10" Atlas, Power Poles, Lowrance 12 Carbon, and 2-12 Lives.

5. Ranger Boats Moderator jc2bg's Avatar
    From my experience and what I have heard/read, the current draw you experienced is fairly typical. I don’t know the cold cranking amp rating of that Interstate battery, but the ProXS does need around 1000 to crank well. You might get along fine if you put the console graph on standby while you are fishing, but you might also want to look at a battery with higher CCA rating, if possible. Unfortunately, you are not the only one with similar experiences in a situation like you describe. With very little running time to return charge to the battery, constant draws throughout the day can get you below the easy starting threshold for your big motor.
    John Clark — Findlay, Ohio

6. Member
    i had the same problem on my new 520l. group 27 battery is not enough juice. changed mine out to an 1125 cca battery on friday and fished tourney saturday with aereators running all day and carbon 12 and 9 and bird 899 on all day plus power poles. motor fired right away at the end of the day just as good as the morning start. my dealer said that they are putting an extra battery in one of the dry storage boxes and running a cable thru the wall to the cranking battery so the engine is running on 2 batteries all day long. i didn't like that idea so i bought a bigger battery to handle the job.

Interstate agm is cheep compared to others. It's not better. I recommend trying it again as the surface charge may have been high enough to stop the charger but not enough to fully charge it. My battery took a good charge after I used it a couple weeks ago.

Side note get a batteries plus 31x2agm. It's a beast.
    Mercury 250 proxs 2B115089

8. Member
    I have had great luck with Walmart marine batteries. They carry a year free replace the like most batteries. I change your mouth every 3 years regardless. And Wally world is open on Sunday.

If you search here you will find many threads on that Interstate 31AGM...not many of them very positive. My boat came new with one, and within a year could not crank the opti at the end of a day just like you describe. If you want to stay AGM, bite the bullet and purchase the Batteries plus 31 or the Odyssey 31M AGM.

10. Member
    Same problem with interstate 31 AGM. will not last all day. 2 Gen 3 12", Structure scan 3D, Garmin live scope 9".
    Took to 2 interstate dealers ad one distributer. Each said battery was OK. I think not!

11. Member
    It seems like the Batteries Plus 31 is the deal. Where do you pick one up at? What is the actual model number? Also, what about the Deka brand? Are they still a viable option?

12. Member
    Mick,
    I had the exact same issues you had and then tried to resolve them the same way, without success. I had issues with my original Interstate starting battery received with my new boat. So I went to the interstate dealer and told him about my problem and he recommended I try their AGM size 31 battery so I did. I experienced some improvement, but it did not completely resolve my issues. The following spring I purchased X2Power battery from Batteries Plus, the problems have been resolved. I believe it’s the same battery as a NorthStar. It’s expensive but it’s one strong battery.
    Ranger, Z520c with Mercury, 250 Pro XS
    Garmin & Minn Kota

Quam's Marine, Stoughton, WI

13. Member
    FYI, the Batteries Plus X2Power has a $30 Mail in Rebate and a 10% off online orders if you place the order online. That would result in about a $70 savings right now...
    2016 Ranger 1850 LS Reata / Merc 150 4s / SmartCraft / Lowrance HDS Carbon SS3D

14. Member
    I went through the same issues with my pro xs. Before going to the 300-400 batteries another member on here suggested the NAPA group 31 commercial battery. It is a wet cell lead weighs 61lbs, has 1125 cca and 195 minutes reserve for $171.00! Second year using it with no issues, livewells and 2 9 inch Lowrance units. Great battery so far.

15. mikesxpress
    Benchmark battery for marine use. It has been around for years and the only ones I would have in my boat for starting and trolling applications.
    https://shop.odysseybattery.com/p/31m-pc2150st?pp=12

Allot of folks make batteries but this is the one that has lead the pack. The X2 power is the only other battery that comes close and it's a new comer to the market, cheaper, and has the same warranty which is 4 year free replacement.