98 Johnson 200 venom

How are they and any thing I need to know about them.

2. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Strong motor likes the fuel like any carbed motor. Should you purchase it come back for a couple tips to keep it running great.

3. Member
    I'm buying the boat. So I will take any advice I can get. The has very little use. Been maintain but has very low hours in very low usage.

4. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    One thing to do is to change the carb bowl drain plug to the updated version part number 0344267. The difference is the end of the drain plug has a raised tip to it, this keeps the high speed orifice in place and prevents them from backing out. You'll need 6 of them along with new O rings part number 0305739. the other thing to keep the #2 cylinder a little cooler by increasing the #2 High speed orifice size by two. If you remove one and look at the side of it there is a number stamped on the side of it. It will end in a D for example 67D that is the orifice size. So you would install a 69D orifice in the bowl, this keeps the #2 piston cooler by adding more fuel, by doing this it helps keep the locating pins for the rings in place.

5. Member
    Ok thanks, and people are telling me to mix the oil and gas myself. Not to rely on oil pump
    Last edited by Jigman78; 04-03-2019 at 07:21 AM.

6. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Read this and make your own mind up. http://continuouswave.com/whaler/reference/VRO.html

7. Member
    Ok. So it not the oil pump it's lack of checking for issues. So what would you do?

8. Member

VRO

Quote Originally Posted by ChampioNman View Post
    Read this and make your own mind up. http://continuouswave.com/whaler/reference/VRO.html
    VRO Best auto oil pump mixer ever made 👍

9. Member
    I ran my 2000 model year for 17 years and never had a problem with the VRO. Not sure why everyone wants to get rid of them.
    2020 Ranger Z519 | 2020 Mercury Pro XS 225 4S | Helix 10SI | Helix 10 MDI G3N | Helix 10 MDI G3N | Noco GENIUS 10X4
    Fury 3 22P True Pitched | Power Pole Pro 2's | Ghost TM | Mega 360 | MEGA LIVE | Atlas 8in Jack Plate | Trick Step | 3X Amped 80ah Lithiums

10. Sprint Boats Moderator Bassmeister's Avatar
    If you plan to run her hard for long periods they like a little extra oil.....A pint of oil for 12 gallons of fuel on top of what the vro mixes helps keep 'em healthy during long hard runs....

I have a 1995 venom and she a strong motor and reliable motor. I have only had it about 3 years but she pushes my boat great. I just use the VRO pump and do not mix any extra oil in it. She is thirsty when running hard or pulling tubes around.
    Kyle Frick
    FrickerDude
    Frick-N-Fishin' Baits

12. Member
    Thanks. I'm going to use the VRO pump. I going to have a new one put in it this fall. Just to be safe.

13. Member
    I hope you enjoy your motor. My 200 Venom is cold natured and thirsty but has never failed me and pushes that big bass boat around like a Hoss!

14. Member
    You got that right cold natured. Need to figure out what it likes for easier start ups.

i have seen people saying they are cold natured. I have not had any problems with starting mine on frosty Michigan mornings.
    Kyle Frick
    FrickerDude
    Frick-N-Fishin' Baits

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by FrickerDude View Post
    i have seen people saying they are cold natured. I have not had any problems with starting mine on frosty Michigan mornings.
    if you pump the bulb, and push in on the key primer they will fire on the coldest days. you may have to continue pushing on the primer after it starts to keep it going, but once it runs for 20-30 seconds it should run on it's own.
    2020 Ranger Z519 | 2020 Mercury Pro XS 225 4S | Helix 10SI | Helix 10 MDI G3N | Helix 10 MDI G3N | Noco GENIUS 10X4
    Fury 3 22P True Pitched | Power Pole Pro 2's | Ghost TM | Mega 360 | MEGA LIVE | Atlas 8in Jack Plate | Trick Step | 3X Amped 80ah Lithiums

Quote Originally Posted by joebone1 View Post
    if you pump the bulb, and push in on the key primer they will fire on the coldest days. you may have to continue pushing on the primer after it starts to keep it going, but once it runs for 20-30 seconds it should run on it's own.
    Truth, right there!
    Kyle Frick
    FrickerDude
    Frick-N-Fishin' Baits

18. Member
    Ok thanks.