Guntersville @ the end of april in a kayak HELP.

Hello guys/gals,
    The last weekend of April i will be headed to Guntersville, from Indiana, for the first time ever, heck i haven't even seen the lake before, anyway we have a kayak tournament there and i was wondering what to expect. I have a baby due at the end of may so i can not take a bunch of vaca due to that so i am just trying to do some homework and see what i need to expect around that time. i have heard grass and traps? is this a main lake thing or channels etc. as you can only imagine running and gunning is pretty well out so i have to pick an area, then pick it apart ha ha. any advice would be great and greatly appreciated.

thank you!!!

2. Member
    wow no love? haha

3. Member
    Dirk, find the grass......it's all over the place...I would start with traps....then tubes and big worms..may take a while to find big ones but should have plenty of small ones

4. Member
    Thank you transdep!

5. Member
    Where are you putting in for the tournament?

6. Member
    It is open to any public launch on the lake.

7. Banned
    Grass what grass? I was just there Sat and Sun for a club two day. I ran from Browns to Goosepond. The floods really killed a lot of the grass. Browns and Seibold have the least grass I've seen in years. Yes it still has grass but NO where near like it was just two years ago. Lots of eel grass in spots up river. The recent Big Bass Splash, Piggly Wiggly, HS tourneys, and others have really beat the lake up. The BBS is not good for the lake, but the city don't care its all about the money. Go dirt shallow for your fish.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jbtriton80 View Post
    Grass what grass? I was just there Sat and Sun for a club two day. I ran from Browns to Goosepond. The floods really killed a lot of the grass. Browns and Seibold have the least grass I've seen in years. Yes it still has grass but NO where near like it was just two years ago. Lots of eel grass in spots up river. The recent Big Bass Splash, Piggly Wiggly, HS tourneys, and others have really beat the lake up. The BBS is not good for the lake, but the city don't care its all about the money. Go dirt shallow for your fish.
    AMEN!

Hardly any grass and it has been hammered so far! This was my fist trip and it wasn't worth it.

I was there the last 4 days and not impressed really. Those fish have been beat on. We ran from Browns to Goose pond as well.
    We caught ours shallow on plastic on what little grass we could find.

9. Member
    Chatterbaits, lipless, swimjigs. Should be spawn/post spawn. Maybe some topwater action. Personally for kayak fishing I recommend you launch at Marshall County public boat launch, and fish the islands (lush branch) extensively.

Me and my buddy had a 26lb bag on the last weekend of April last year, and we didn't move off a single spot.

Look for the deep pockets and the wood cover that litters the milfoil in lush branch.

Good luck

10. Member
    I fished Browns this weekend for the first time this year. Caught a couple very shallow. But tried fishing shallow humps with grass as well. I couldn't hardly find any grass either. Was very disappointing and wish I would have fished North end of Lake instead.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr Phil Good View Post
    I fished Browns this weekend for the first time this year. Caught a couple very shallow. But tried fishing shallow humps with grass as well. I couldn't hardly find any grass either. Was very disappointing and wish I would have fished North end of Lake instead.
    North aint much better. We ran all over the lake.

12. Banned
    Between the highwater/floods and TVA spraying along with homeowners hiring companies it has really hurt the grass this year. Yes Alabama has no law against homeowners getting people to spray the grass. The HOA in Scottsboro ruined Roseberry creek. TVA and 3m ruined a great grass lake in Wheeler. God why can't these some bitches leave the grass alone. AL power sprays the willow and dollar grass in Lay lake. I talked to the head man over this on the phone. He was full of crap! Willow grass is native to the coosa river. Strait bought and paid for fools!