Mounting three trolling batteries in rear compartment?

I switching from a 24v to 36v trolling motor in my 21xd. How are you guys strapping down three trolling batteries in the back compartment on the passenger side? I've seen a few photos of how they are placed but it looks like some guys may not be strapping them down?

I've considered putting the fourth battery by the cranking battery and the oil pump but I'm not sure if that would be any better. Only running three batteries is not an option for me, and I do not want to put the fourth battery in the compartment behind the seat.

I’ve got 3 big lead acid in the compartment with no issues. I have an MG 109 and originally the crankin battery was the third TM battery. I didn’t care for that, so I added a third designated TM battery. We’ve all discussed this before and I myself like the crankin just for crankin. I spend many hours at a time on the water and gives me my piece of mind. A lot of guys on here run a 36v with the crankin as the third TM and that’s just fine. Works for them. Not a big deal. Oh to your question, no I don’t strap mine. I do have pics if ya want to see them. I’ll post them.

2008 BULLET 21XD 2007 Merc 300xs

3. Member
    I have 3 in a 20' with saddle tanks.. its tight but the fit and are not strapped doewn.

4. Member
    Bullet 21xrd Mercury 300xs

5. Member
    I would not carry batteries that were not strapped down. Just my op.
    2020 Allison XB 21
    Merc 300R
    2018-SST Bullet
    Merc 300R
    Bullet 20XD
    300XS DBR

6. Member
    Send me your number and I'll send you pics of how I mounted 4 batteries in my 21RDC, 501-425-0329, Todd, I have 2 on each side

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tlt20xd View Post
    I would not carry batteries that were not strapped down. Just my op.
    I agree. That's a lot of weight that can bounce around and damage something. There have even been boats sink after a battery punched a hole in the side in an accident that otherwise would not have done nearly as much damage.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jenninr View Post
    I agree. That's a lot of weight that can bounce around and damage something. There have even been boats sink after a battery punched a hole in the side in an accident that otherwise would not have done nearly as much damage.
    I run blue tops. its such a tight fit, its impossible to strap down. I have ran this setup or 3 yrs and no issues.

9. Member
    It sure if I can find pics of my 21xdc but I had three 31 series bats with saddle tanks fit. I also found a way to get 2 power pole pumps in as well. It’s a puzzle but it can be done. If I recall. Irreversible I had to remove the battery trays and put in straps only.

Recently had a battery dedicated to electronics in the compartment next to my cranking battery. It was not strapped down. It bounced around and broke the connector off my oil sending unit and tank. Oil everywhere and lucky it happened on way to the ramp as i had no way to repair it. Super expensive part that a 9.99 battery tray would have prevented for sure. Its strapped now.
    2022 Blazer 675 Ultimate
    2022 Merc 300 Pro XS
    2017 YZ250F
    Kenny Hollingsworth<<<<<<<<<MY NAME!
    828 674 6752
    Hendersonville NC<<<<MY LOCATION!!

Now my crankin/electronics battery is strapped down. I can run three 29/31 series batteries in the port compartment and its snug. I had to take the battery trays out to make things fit right. I have thought about putting in a rubber coated brace bar to mount safety across the top of all three to keep possible jumping of a battery in wicked conditions. Haven’t had any issues yet but it’s a piece of mind.

2008 BULLET 21XD 2007 Merc 300xs