Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

How to keep mice out of the boat

Had some chewed up wires from mice this year, lucky it was not a complete rewire job just had to run a few wires. Does anyone way that WORKS to keep mice out?

2. Member
    I do not believe a mouse can get into my boat except by the extension cord. The Fiberglas side are to hard and or slick. I do keep a mouse trap in the boat just in case. Never had a problem, but they are definately in my shop where my boat is kept. I do not keep a cover on my boat in storage.
    Last edited by 98skeeter202; 03-31-2019 at 08:36 PM.

3. Member
    I had cat problems and this might help with mice. I took a 1X3X20" board, wrapped it with a towel, (any material will work) and sprinkle it with coyote urine. Placed the board across the opening at the stern where the cover has the opening around the motor. Coyote urine can be found at feed stores. You can get a large bottle and mix a few ounces with water in a sprayer and spray around your boat. It's worth a shot. No more cats for me.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Topwater 2 View Post
    I had cat problems and this might help with mice. I took a 1X3X20" board, wrapped it with a towel, (any material will work) and sprinkle it with coyote urine. Placed the board across the opening at the stern where the cover has the opening around the motor. Coyote urine can be found at feed stores. You can get a large bottle and mix a few ounces with water in a sprayer and spray around your boat. It's worth a shot. No more cats for me.
    Had cats in my shop for a couple years, no mice but a whole different set of issues

5. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by 98skeeter202 View Post
    I do not believe a mouse can get into my boat except by the extension cord. The Fiberglas side are to hard and or slick. I do keep a mouse trap in the boat just in case. Never had a problem, but they are definately in my shop where my boat is kept. I do not keep a cover on my boat in storage.
    Trust me. Mice and rats can get in your boat.

6. Member
    Lol. Nothing I know can stop a mouse from climbing anything.

I have been very successful for a number of years. In fact as far as I can tell I never had a boat / mouse problem since I started an aggressive poison bait regiment. Prior to this I did what most people do. I covered the boat and said no way they can climb the fiberglass. Well they found a way in.

I store my boat in the barn. Complete with feed, hay, straw and farm animals. Then I had the extra animals rats and mice. In fact I had a lot of them.

I used traps and all those neat ways that don't use poison. I lost the battle.

Thus I went the poison bait way. Now that doesn't mean buying a few Decon packages. I bought it by the pounds and at first it was a weekly thing. After a while you gain ground then you come to the point that you can effectively control them. In any event going on five years with two different boats and no mice damage, droppings or urine.

With a barn built in 1850 and used for animals I can't stop them from getting inside the barn. However you can control them to the point they don't do damage.

7. Member
    Cats, well they just make a bigger mess than the rats and mice. For some reason they loved sleeping inside the boat or on top of the cover.

Quote Originally Posted by Dubee View Post
    Trust me. Mice and rats can get in your boat.
    Definitely
    2017 Ranger Z520c "Blackout Edition"
    2017 Mercury Optimax ProXS 250
    HB Solix 12 G3 MSI+, Solix 12 G2 MSI+, Solix G2 MDI+, Solix 12 2d/gps, Ultrex Mega360, Mega Live
    NRA Life Member
    -Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil, as a roaring lion, walketh about, seeking whom he may devour-

9. Member
    I picked up a tip from BBC several years ago to use spearmint oil. When I put the boat to bed for the winter (~3 months) I take everything out of the boat and put this oil in the compartments and bilge. I haven't had mice issues since. Knock on wood.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by FishinDad View Post
    I picked up a tip from BBC several years ago to use spearmint oil. When I put the boat to bed for the winter (~3 months) I take everything out of the boat and put this oil in the compartments and bilge. I haven't had mice issues since. Knock on wood.
    I bet it smells better than coyote urine, I tried peppermint oil in my RV with no luck

11. Member
    I started use Fresh Cab Botanical Rodent Repellent last year in my boat and farm equipment and it works fantastic! Put 1 pouch in each compartment and walk away it says last for 3 months but i replace every 2 months. I used to see a mouse in the garage every now and then but since i have been using this stuff I haven’t seen a mouse. It cost around $12 for 4 pouches.

I have heard moth balls work but never tried it.

I have a cat the loves to get up on my boat, its my own cat but she is a pain in the ass.
    I got on amazon and purchased a scatmat that puts out a pretty nasty shock, it actually hurts a bit when I tried it.

Anyways she jumped up onto my boat and I heard loud mow/screech, she does not get up there anymore LOL.

https://www.amazon.com/d/Cat-Repelle...nic/B0017XBDPA

13. Member
    They kept chewing the wires on the tractor so I’ve tried moth balls,peppermint oil,decon, and believe it or not someone told me to try a couple bars of Irish spring soap and that’s worked about the best. I just cut it up in chunks and place.

14. Member
    Dryer sheets work.

15. Member
    PURE Peppermint oil.....the good stuff......the stuff that will burn you if it gets on your skin.

16. Member
    I've always used month balls in compartments and put extra in the hull , always worked for me in winter storage

17. Member
    Mice and cats never had problem.it is the red wasp that get me. They. Make theiday nest under my dash board console they when sun warms them up they come out and sting.

18. Member
    I've been good with moth balls for cats. No mouse problems for me though so not sure how they work for them.

Stored my old boat outside , covered. Put a box of mothballs inside, with the top partially opened. Never had a mouse problem, no chewed wires, mouse poop. Lived in the city, and country, no issue. New boat has a climate controlled garage space.

20. Member
    I'm not sure if it's the rat poison or the black snakes that keep the mice out of mine.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast