Thread: Pad to prop?

Pad to prop?

Having a time with my new to me ranger 118cwith 150 merc. 4stroke 150hp. it has a hyd. jack plate. do I raise plate till I get about 3.25 diff. dealer said just put plat all theway down and go. Prop is 21p Revoultion 4 Thanks buddy has excat same boat and engine but no plate ,same prop and good hole shot anf speed. I cant get on plane and pegs rpm 5800 plus at only 50 mph.Once again Thanks

2. Member
    I guess the first thing is to plug all the holes in the prop with solid plugs no open holes to start with . It sounds like it’s over ventilating .

3. Banned
    When you say can't get on plane is it bogged down or screaming?

4. Member
    cant really answer that because never driven a 4s before didnt bog and lug but didnt rev right up like my old 2s intruder. but didnt have hole shot or top end hoping its a comb. of vent holes open and hyd jack plate calling dearler this week thanks for your replys everyone

5. New England Forum Moderator twitch's Avatar
    measure your friends prop to pad and put yours there and try it with the same amount of holes he has open or closed on his prop,then adjust from there to tweak it out
    1990 374V Ranger Still kickin' bass after all these years

6. Member
    Are you raising the plate after you take off or keeping it down all the way? Move the plate half way down and measure prop to pad so you have some idea what your dealing with. You don't have to bury the plate to take off no matter what the dealer told you. One other thing find a known good 23" tempest plus which is a three blade which Rangers like and try it. That motor is geared low and can turn a larger pitch prop.
    Last edited by mdtritn21; 04-02-2019 at 05:14 PM.

7. Member
    Thaqnks guys I REALLY appreciate everyones advice