NFC X-Ray question

I was wondering if either the MB-736 or SJ-736 are strong enough to throw 1/2 oz and 3/4 oz jigs plus trailers on. I use 50 lb braid with 20 lb fluorocarbon leader. I've never had a rod built but would like to have one nice one for jig fishing and with the 60% off sale was looking at these. About 100.00 is my limit for a blank with my budget.

2. Member
    I just built one of each. The SJ-736 will for sure handle those. The MB-736 would come close but 3/4 might over power it a little.

3. Member
    I recently finished the builds on 2 X ray MB 736 blanks, and while I haven't fished them yet, I'd tend to agree with denraytay's assessment of the MB736. I don't see it as a blank that would excel at pulling fish out of heavy cover. Moderate to light cover, most definitely. I'll be using the two I built predominantly for dragging 3/8 - 1/2 oz football jigs around in deeper water, and for Texas rigs along weed edges, docks, and deeper open water.

If you're looking for something for pulling fish out of heavy cover, I gotta believe there are a lot better choices out there. Maybe the SJ 736 you mentioned, or if you want something from NFC, an MB709 IM on sale for $81, or the HM version of the same blank for $111. I built a rod on the MB 709 IM last year, and it will flat out move fish out of heavy cover. Very sensitive as well.

Another blank to give strong consideration to (if you're looking for a heavy cover rod) and the one I would choose, would be a Rainshadow Immortal IMMC72MH. It can be had for $113 and it is one bad mammy jammy of a blank. Very very sensitive, gobs of power, and very durable. It's hands down my favorite rod, of course I haven't fished the X rays yet, but the IMMC72MH is something special.

4. Member
    Thanks for the recommendations. I fish Pickwick mostly so it will be used in grass as well as the occasional tree top and also in open water.

5. Member
    Then the MB736 will definitely handle that kind of stuff. As far as the X ray blanks go ..... I couldn't imagine any other blank being as sensitive as an X ray. It is nuts how sensitive they are.