Help for info on a 360 as a SI image use

Contemplating a 360, based on a YouTube video I watched. I don't know very much on any of the new fish finders and I would like to upgrade to a SI type finder. Based on the video it appeared to be a good 360° image all around the boat. If it's a good choice for a once in a lifetime upgrade, other than the Garman Panavision, what's the general opinion of you more experienced on the higher electronics of the newer finders. I don't want to be buying a barely understandable unit. My wife will think I just spent a bunch of money for a finder that is too hard to interpret. If I can't understand setting it up for finding fish, it's only gonna make her belittle my choice If we aren't finding and bringing fish aboard, there would be a not so useful factor that would be hard to defend. Help needed out there...

2. Member
    The 360 can do si the range is limited to about 100 ft per side. To each his own but for my money it’s a 360 with a mega helix 10. I shallow fish mostly from 4 to 25 ft of water. I would not trade my 360 for anything . It’s great for fishing off shore, and finding bait.
    Once you learn how to use it you’ll see fish. With all that said all the expensive equipment in the world is useless if you don’t learn how to use it.

3. Member
    One last thing the 360 has much improved my catch ratio And really that’s what it’s all about

The 360 is an Ethernet accessory, not a regular transducer that connects to the transducer port.
    Since is it is an Ethernet device, any unit model can support it if that model has the Ethernet connection.
    That means a 2D-only unit, a 2D/DI unit, or a 2D/SI unit will support it.
    Additionally it can be used as a Side Imaging transducer for all three of those model types--360 is Side Imaging that rotates.

This is a rock building foundation using Side Imaging and 360:

The blue dots are GPS waypoints.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G3N/G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/LINK, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

5. Member
    I love my 360! I did benefit from understanding side imaging first. If you already understand SI then 360 is a breeze. I have the Helix 12 just for 360. Thanks to Wayne P.

6. Member
    I'm waiting to see if they will be releasing anything at icast this year. Do any of you believe they will?

7. Member
    How can a 360 give a side image? All I ever got was the 360 images. Which was great for putting you exactly on foundations and things..

8. Member
    It can do just side imaging but you have to change the settings on the page where you chose what tanducer/gps puck you want to use.

In the Network menu for SI, if you choose the 360 as the source for SI instead of the unit and the 360 is powered, it will orient the two Imaging piezos left and right (home) and will function as a SI transducer.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

10. Member
    I have a Helix10 DI unit as my bow unit so are you saying I can use 360 on that unit? I have been holding off on 360 thinking I had to upgrade to an SI unit for it to be compatible.

Quote Originally Posted by Champriders View Post
    I have a Helix10 DI unit as my bow unit so are you saying I can use 360 on that unit? I have been holding off on 360 thinking I had to upgrade to an SI unit for it to be compatible.
    Read the first paragraph in post #4.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

12. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by hankll View Post
    Contemplating a 360, based on a YouTube video I watched. I don't know very much on any of the new fish finders and I would like to upgrade to a SI type finder. Based on the video it appeared to be a good 360° image all around the boat. If it's a good choice for a once in a lifetime upgrade, other than the Garman Panavision, what's the general opinion of you more experienced on the higher electronics of the newer finders. I don't want to be buying a barely understandable unit. My wife will think I just spent a bunch of money for a finder that is too hard to interpret. If I can't understand setting it up for finding fish, it's only gonna make her belittle my choice If we aren't finding and bringing fish aboard, there would be a not so useful factor that would be hard to defend. Help needed out there...
    I would gladly trade my 360 for Garmins livescope.

Quote Originally Posted by grandbassslayer View Post
    I would gladly trade my 360 for Garmins livescope.
    If you fish deep a lot, that may benefit you. If you fish shallow quite a bit, Livescope will be useless if it reads anything like the original Panoptix. You would have to pry my 360 out of my cold dead hands before I gave it up.
    2017 Ranger Z520c "Blackout Edition"
    2017 Mercury Optimax ProXS 250
    HB Solix 12 G3 MSI+, Solix 12 G2 MSI+, Solix G2 MDI+, Solix 12 2d/gps, Ultrex Mega360, Mega Live
    NRA Life Member
    -Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil, as a roaring lion, walketh about, seeking whom he may devour-

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by hankll View Post
    Hank,
    Here is a video using both bird 360 and garmin Panoptix Livescope (which is what I think you meant by Panavision).

Bird 360 cannot and will never give you what panoptix livescope can, and vise versa. Different tools for different situations.

Meeee.....I would get Garmin Livescope and never look back!!!

Last edited by moetorola; 05-29-2019 at 04:23 PM.

15. Member
    I have owned 2 360s. the first eventually broke twice. I decided to buy another instead of pay to fix it again. the second broke and I threw in the towel. it was nice to have, but didn't increase my catch rate. It was more of a distraction while fishing than anything else. some people love it, I liked it..but don't miss it and after $3000, wish I never bought one. my side imaging and ultrexx has done more for me than anything else I've ever purchased.

16. Member
    To each his own. I am the complete opposite . A 360 will always be on my boat.my catch rate went up big time.