Powerhead bolts have broken

I experienced issues on the water during a tourney today. Long story short, my 1998 90hp started vibrating terribly and eventually died. I was towed in and discovered the bolts between the powerhead and lower have snapped. Anyone experience anything like this? How difficult is it to remove the powerhead? I’m hoping the broken bolts can be removed at a machine shop, but realize that could be a long shot. Any feedback is appreciated!

2. Member
    would sug you purchase factory serv manual, I have seen some with one or two not all though, hope they are easily removed
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Shrpshootr View Post
    I experienced issues on the water during a tourney today. Long story short, my 1998 90hp started vibrating terribly and eventually died. I was towed in and discovered the bolts between the powerhead and lower have snapped. Anyone experience anything like this? How difficult is it to remove the powerhead? I’m hoping the broken bolts can be removed at a machine shop, but realize that could be a long shot. Any feedback is appreciated!
    Bolt's almost always break because they loosened. I'd bet that your have some rust colored powder under those bolts. If you have the rust, its at least in part from fretting. It may be more difficult to get the new bolts to hold long term. I'm not familiar with your application, but you might want to consider using something like blue (i.e. removable) Loctite on the new bolts. After replacing the bolts, mark the bolts position and periodically check to see if they've rotated. Something like this the attached picture. SecurityCheck_app_1400x.jpg