Camera purchase suggestions.

Daughter’s birthday coming up.
    iphone is good enough for me.
    she wants a digital camera with multiple lenses for portraits and higher quality photos.

any suggestions would be appreciated with price ranges or a reputable online supplier.

thanks

2. Member
    adorama.com
    bhphotovideo.com
    I've had good customer service with these 2 websites. Prices are all over the board. Nikon and Canon seem to be the big boys in DSLRs however there are several other companies in the game. Once you know your budget read or watch reviews on systems you would be interested in buying. Quality lenses are expensive, more expensive than most camera bodies. Good luck!

3. Member
    +1 on the sites mentioned.

Did you have an idea on budget? I suggest looking at mirrorless options as well if the budget allows. This is where the market is going and it may make the most sense for someone just starting. Sony, Nikon, and Canon all sell mirrorless. Think about the type of photography she'll be doing. Is it all in well-lit, controlled environments or will she be capturing a lot of fast action like birds in flight, animals, or sports? What does she want to do with the photos? Share on Instragram or print? Print large or small?

The more you know about how she'll use the camera and the photographs she takes the easier it will be to find a good match. An entry-level DSLR with a "kit" lense can be had for $500. A more advanced camera for an amateur can run $1500 - $3000 without any lenses. I'd also suggest going to a local camera store and speaking with someone. Most of these manufactures have strict pricing rules, so online "deals" are not as common unless they are throwing in free accessories to sweeten the deal.

4. Member
    Sony Alpha A7 (any of them); Nikon D7500; Canon EOS 6D/7D/80D... But, budget is important -- $600 vs. $6000, and you'll find plenty in between.

I really really like the Sony Alpha. Bought wife an Alpha, and it's been one of the best purchases ever.

I'm getting my daughter a 6d mk1. They can be found at a good price and have excellent photo quality for the price. Pair that with a Tamron 24-70 and she'll be off to a good start.

6. Member
    If she's interested in Canon, look at Canon refurbished on their website. Pretty good prices and a full one year warranty. The refurbished units are like new. Look at a 6d mark1 or an 80d.

7. Member
    edit
    Last edited by SPOONMINNOW; 09-13-2020 at 07:29 AM.

Buy the camera body new and skip the kit lens if you're willing to spend a bit. Quality glass makes all the difference in the world when it comes to picture quality. I have a backup DSLR that is an old Canon Rebel Xti. I take it out in the duck boat with me and shoot photos in less than desirable conditions like salt spray, mud, etc so I don't like taking my higher end body out there. When paired with a Canon 100-400L the picture quality is amazing even with the old out of date body. Having the kit lens is pretty pointless if your daughter is doing anything other than posting pics on social media. I would easily step down on body quality if it meant that I could go a step up on glass quality!

Done with a Nikon 24-120 kit lens. DSC_3262small_pp.jpg
    Now for sports and stuff moving no kit lens.

10. Member
    If her main interest is stills go with Nikon. Their image quality is top notch. Canon is good but went with a balanced approach to stills and video.

If not going full frame which I wouldn’t recommend for a casual first timer I’d go with the D7200. The 7500 has neutered features like the removal of a card slot and no grip option. The 7500 also cannot use older style lenses.

The best portrait lens for the money is the older Nikkor 50mm 1.8 D.

11. Banned
    I was recently in the market for a new camera, and started studying online.
    The DLSR's are out as they're heavy and the lens' are expensive.
    The mirrorless cameras have been big in the near past, but they're also very expensive and use the same separate lens'.

I went for a Luminex rangefinder camera with a built in 30x telescoping lens that virtually does it all--in one package. I paid $297 for it thru Amazon--$100 off. And it came with a case and a bunch of extras. Modern cameras have so many features that the owners' manuals have to be online. My camera came with really great reviews.

Even though I'm an experienced "film" photographer, it's going to take me awhile to figure out all this camera is capable of. What's frightening is the cost of modern day cameras--out of sight. Many DSLR cameras have bodies in the $2000-$3000 range.