repower question

I have a 2001 520 vx with a 225 optimax on a 10inch jackplate - getting ready to repower ...want to g with a honda or Suzuki 4 stroke but wonder if the extra 100 pounds of motor will be a problem ?

2. Banned
    Just a FYI in case you haven’t researched it, Suzuki does not have a 20” shaft 225hp. I can’t fathom the reasoning as to why not.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by grout-scout View Post
    Just a FYI in case you haven’t researched it, Suzuki does not have a 20” shaft 225hp. I can’t fathom the reasoning as to why not.
    Losing sales with that policy for sure.

4. Member
    didn't even look ....buddy has a 25in on an offshore boat ...runs perfect ...so its down to Honda ...

5. Banned
    I wish Suzuki make a 225 Super Sport with a 20” shaft, I think I’d get one.

6. Pat Goff
    Might seriously expand your choices. Getting a Honda serviced is tricky at best.
    Pat Goff

Two degrees from center
    of nowhere.
    Smithwick TX.

[SIGPIC][<a href=http://www.bbcboards.net/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=583&dateline=1498828542/SIGPIC] target=_blank>http://www.bbcboards.net/image.php?t...828542/SIGPIC]</a>

7. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by pmgoffjr View Post
    Might seriously expand your choices. Getting a Honda serviced is tricky at best.
    Do they ever have to be serviced..

8. Member
    Keep in mind it you change brands you will also have to buy new controls and the associated installation. You might want to try the new Mercury V8 4 strokes, about the same weight as the old XS.

9. Member
    I'd go with a new Mercury 4 stroke.

Quote Originally Posted by almejas View Post
    I have a 2001 520 vx with a 225 optimax on a 10inch jackplate - getting ready to repower ...want to g with a honda or Suzuki 4 stroke but wonder if the extra 100 pounds of motor will be a problem ?
    Yes, the weight will be a setup issue, and might cause some bad handling. Plus, the gear ratio is not great on either the Honda or the Suzuki, for a faster hull like the 520. Those are good boats, would definitely look to a more performance orientated engine on it personally. The Honda's have really sloppy mounts too, so they aren't great for faster boats, in general. I like Suzuki, but more on a big center console.

For a 225, I'd go G2 225 HO, 225 ProXS, or 225 Yamaha SHO. All are very competitive, and have better gearing, and weight suited for your boat.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Wave to Wave View Post
    Yes, the weight will be a setup issue, and might cause some bad handling. Plus, the gear ratio is not great on either the Honda or the Suzuki, for a faster hull like the 520. Those are good boats, would definitely look to a more performance orientated engine on it personally. The Honda's have really sloppy mounts too, so they aren't great for faster boats, in general. I like Suzuki, but more on a big center console.

For a 225, I'd go G2 225 HO, 225 ProXS, or 225 Yamaha SHO. All are very competitive, and have better gearing, and weight suited for your boat.
    Those would be my choices as well!

As much as I love Honda Powersports stuff I wouldn't put one on that boat.

With the extra 100 pounds of weight and the lower power output of the Honda will be noticeable!
    2016 Ranger RT188 Charcoal Metallic Dual Console
    2017 Yamaha 115 VMAX SHO SS Prop
    Lowrance Elite 7Ti in console
    Humminbird Helix 10 SI on BBT Bow Mount

Humminbird Helix 10 SI on a BalZout @ Console
    Minn Kota Ultrex 80 - 24V i-Pilot Link
    Transducer Shield Mount
    Custom step in place of center seat
    Trick Step

12. Banned
    PM Old Hickery he hangs out on the Charger page he runs Chargers with Honda's on the back of them. From what I have read in his posts I would buy one without thinking twice about it. Motors seem rock solid so you lose 1 or 2 mph if that is going to make a big difference then you need a Allison boat to begin with.