mikesxpress

V8 belt change and fuel rail screens.

No more easy belt change on new V8's. The belt tensioner that was on the 2 strokes is MIA and you need the Merc tools to change it. While other non-conventional options exist, it's not as straight forward as using the special purpose tools. Getting to the belt is yet another issue but can be done on-the-water with the experience of a practice run at home. Here is what you need + your 1 1/16" prop socket to turn the flywheel tool while inserting the belt stretching tool to get the belt on/off.

Here are the infamous fuel rail inline screens. *Note these screens are 46 micron and your primary engine fuel/water separator filter is 10 micron. Time will tell how long it takes to plug these screens even with a clean fuel system but they are a prime candidate for fuel starvation.
    Last edited by EuropeanAM; 04-02-2019 at 02:07 PM.

2. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Good info, Mike- will add this to the FAQ section.

The screens from the fuel rails are not much different than some injector screens... certainly better that they catch material (as compared to it ending up in the injectors).

Thanks for sharing- Part numbers are accurate as of today (pricing changes constantly at Mercury's discretion, so no pricing is posted in forums).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

4. Member
    How often should the belt be replaced?

#2B590854 200hp V6
    Last edited by Baja 252; 04-19-2019 at 07:50 PM.

5. mikesxpress
    I replace mine every 3 years. If one ever shreds you have a major mess to clean up inside the cover. Cheap insurance.

Probably the most common issues other than debris in the filters & early shift actuators failing.... Even with the right tools, you hear threads in the belt tearing as you stretch it on. Loosening the alternator when you put it on makes it MUCH easier

7. Member
    Thanks for the tip 21xTriton. Have you seen this happen with only a couple hours on the motor?

Quote Originally Posted by bk626 View Post
    Thanks for the tip 21xTriton. Have you seen this happen with only a couple hours on the motor?
    Every belt that I've seen come apart has been less than 20 hours so far. I recommend everyone with a new 4s take a look at theirs. My 250 Pro had a ripped belt and I had to change it

9. Member
    So I was able to bring my 250 pro xs 4 stroke into the mechanic today. He just called and said its done. Everything looks fine he didn't see anything that would have caused the belt to come apart. He is guessing a faulty belt or that it was just installed incorrectly. He did question why Mercury would use a cheap $15 belt on this motor. I have to agree with 21xTriton that everyone should take a look at their belt. If you notice your not getting a charge on your starting battery its the first thing I would look at.

10. Member
    Where are these fuel rail screens located?

11. mikesxpress
    Tim they are located in the fuel line entry at the bottom of each fuel rail.
    Last edited by mikesxpress; 08-24-2022 at 07:12 AM.

12. Member
    Thank you sir. That’s what I figured. I ran mine out of fuel awhile back and , I just don’t think performance has been the same since. Thinking maybe sucked up some contamination off bottom of tank.

13. Member
    can the screens be cleaned or do they have to be replaced? Also, does that hose come off or is it just that one bolt to be removed to gain access? Thank you

14. mikesxpress
    At 46 microns it would be impossible to thoroughly clean the filters. Take the bolt loose and the retainer/hose drops down exposing the filter.

15. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    I would agree that if soiled it would be best to replace them.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

16. Member
    i got a spare belt just because it was sooo cheap to carry a spare. but i prob wont attempt this on the water ..
    Curious how long i can go no alternator?? will it limp mode and not plane from low volatge?
    i have a dedicated ,isolated starting d27 blue top .
    Nitro2023 triton allure 250 proxs
    Garmin marine
    prostaff

17. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Not too long- since your engine is an Electronic Throttle and Shift engine, it won't be long before voltage drops and Guardian begins to limit power. Not expecting to hear of a lot of belt failures on these, though.

Don should these fuel rail screens be replaced as part of yearly servicing with the fuel filter or just as a problem arises?
    Roy
    2020 Triton 18 Trx
    Mercury 200 Pro XS V8
    Bravo FS 24P Prop
    Atlas 6” jp
    Dual Humminbird Helix 10 MEGA SI
    Minnkota Ultrex.

19. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    I would say as or when problems arise (have not seen a specific recommendation on them, and all but two engines I've inspected were spotless).

Thanks Don appreciate it. Ill probly get a set to have on hand tho.
    Roy
    2020 Triton 18 Trx
    Mercury 200 Pro XS V8
    Bravo FS 24P Prop
    Atlas 6” jp
    Dual Humminbird Helix 10 MEGA SI
    Minnkota Ultrex.