Stainless prop for Sportsman 17

What SS prop size would you use with the 90 SHO on the Sportsman 17? I have the stock alum 13 1/2 X 16.

Would I use the 13 1/4 X 16 in SS?

Thanks AL
    2018 G3 Sportsman 17 90 SHO

2. Member

me too

Quote Originally Posted by Big Al View Post
    What SS prop size would you use with the 90 SHO on the Sportsman 17? I have the stock alum 13 1/2 X 16.

Would I use the 13 1/4 X 16 in SS?

Thanks AL
    There is a K stamped at the end of the 16 I don't know if this is important. I did drop to a 13 1/2 x 15 in a aluminium prop and raised the revs to high, changed back to the original size after one outing. I think i would go up to a 17 in SS however with the price of SS props I am waiting for someone else to verify before I pull the trigger on one.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Jrags815 View Post
    There is a K stamped at the end of the 16 I don't know if this is important. I did drop to a 13 1/2 x 15 in a aluminium prop and raised the revs to high, changed back to the original size after one outing. I think i would go up to a 17 in SS however with the price of SS props I am waiting for someone else to verify before I pull the trigger on one.

Actually spoke with Gene from the Prop Shop of Cedar Falls (IA). Bought my first SS from him about 18 yrs ago. He recommended a 13 1/4 X 17 SS. He said anything lower pitch would rev too high and you drop the 1/4 dia for being SS.

4. LDraper
    I was told by my dealer not to run a stainless prop because the gears in the lower end would not hold up if I hit something with the stainless prop vs. the aluminum prop. Just a thought.

If you are running in a clear, stump free lake an aluminum might be OK. Here in Louisiana every lake is full of stumps, old oil derricks, pilings, etc.. Everyone runs stainless props. I would be more worried about direct impact on the lower unit. The prop will "spin out" on the bushing if it hits hard.
    2019 G3 Sportsman 1810
    MK Ulterra
    Helix 10
    Helix 7
    SHO 115

Quote Originally Posted by MindenSkeeter View Post
    If you are running in a clear, stump free lake an aluminum might be OK. Here in Louisiana every lake is full of stumps, old oil derricks, pilings, etc.. Everyone runs stainless props. I would be more worried about direct impact on the lower unit. The prop will "spin out" on the bushing if it hits hard.

I agree