new question regarding trailer axle/hub issue

Eyra1

MemberJoin DateMay 2007LocationGibson, ArPosts3,219

#5Today, 07:04 PM
    Not to hijack the post but I have a question.. We bought a new bass cat trailer in 2015 that was built for a 1996 model Eyra. Of course the boat is so out of date they didn't have any schematics, but the dealer provided them with all of the measurements of the boat that BassCat requested. After getting the trailer back to the dealer and the dealer put the boat on the trailer the transom and was almost a foot past the back end of the trailer. I literally could lift the tongue with a finger. BassCat's solution was to cut the arm where the bow roller was mounted off and mount it straight up. As with all BassCat trailers the bow roller arm is at an angle towards the bow of the boat, and a winch arm is separate. It is in the shape of a V as you look at it from the side. The arm where the bow roller was mount is now straight up.
    So now the roller arm stands upright and the boat fits on the trailer. However, I have had to replace both hubs in the past two years, the right axle which broke off the trailer and destroyed the fiberglass fender, shredded 3 tires over the 4 years. Have gone through 2 sets of tires total, including the ones now that need replacement. Bass cat seems to think it's user error. The dealer has done everything they can to work with me and help keep repair costs as low as they possibly can. I am wondering if moving the boat forward has put different stress points on the axle or if the axle is not under the proper position for weight distribution now? We are talking a single axle trailer.

2. Member
    What is the tongue weight?

Click on this>>>https://www.etrailer.com/faq-how-to-...ue-weight.aspx

Good tip. I'll have see if I can get to a truck scale. Definitely can't lift with one finger anymore.

4. Member
    You should probably post this in the Bass Cat forum.

First, you should always get your tongue weight as that # is what is added to your GVWR weight for the tow vehicle. Most tow vehicles will max out their GVWR before they hit their maximum towing capacity. Although with bass boats, and smaller boats in general, it is not as much of an issue as larger/heavier sport or wakeboard boats.

Everyone has an opinion on tongue weight %. But, for example, Shoreland’r recommends 6%.

Most boat trailer manufacturers will be in the 5-10% range, with 5-8% being the most common range.

Anyway, I am sorry you have been getting the run around on your trailer, because in my opinion is is truly messed up. It it sounds like your trailer is not running true, as in it is skewed or crooked in some fashion. Or you have loose spindles or idlers. You should not burn through tires on a bass boat trailer, especially single axle. You should be replacing the tires because of age (4-5 years) versus wear in almost all cases. And hubs even more suspicious. Something is putting most likely lateral stress on the axle and hubs, thus stressing them and also causing excessive wear in your tires.

One area, in my experience, a lot of dealers who deal mostly in fishing boats and smaller boats in general lack is in trailer and towing expertise. And after three years, no matter how sympathetic or understanding the dealer is, it is a freaking trailer. They are not complex machines.

I would recommend finding a reputable trailer repair shop and take it to them for their opinion. A good shop will have a rack they can use to measure the frame and see if everything is true, which it sounds like it is not. Or take it to Bass Cat. After three years, I would make the three hour drive if need be.

User error? It’s a trailer. It is not like you actively interact with it or anything. That’s a lame excuse and lazy on their part.

Thanks for the input. As for posting in the Cat forum, I actually went through their own Owner board on their website and those were the responses, so posting in the Cat section on this board won't be different. There's a trailer shop about 10 miles from me so I may see what they think. Good idea!

So,what is an Acceptable tongue weight ?? I've done exactly the same thing on a trailer I bought, standing the bow stop up straight, and the only issue I seem to have is I can't get the center mounted jack to go down as it hits the keel now. But, I've had no issues with my tires or hubs.
    Ranger Boats / Mercury Motors
    G Loomis Rods / Shimano Reels
    Raymarine / MinnKota Ultrex
    Garmin / Live Scope Plus
    Pepper Jigs / Robo Worms
    Troll Bridge / V-T2 Vents