Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Disappointed to say the least

I sent my Helix 12 Mega SI unit to the factory for work due to the SI images being very dark and just plain ugly. When I first got my Helix Mega, even with default settings the images were fantastic compared to my Gen 1 Chirp unit. I then had what I assumed was a transducer issue when I lost the left side SI and the right side was dark. I bought a new transducer and got both side images back but cery dark and no detail. I could adjust the sensitivity and contrast some to get it a little brighter but not the way it was and should be. Anyway, sent it in and they returned it after 10 days with an invoice that indicates they replaced a circuit board. I reinstalled the unit and was excited to get back on the water and do some scanning. Imagine my disappointment when I turned it on and the images were still very dark. I went back to adjusting and was able to get the image brighter but the detail is no better than my Gen 1. I have emailed Humminbird and am awaiting a response. Just wanted to vent and see if anybody has any suggestions. I’ll attach a couple of screenshots. The first is when I first turned on the unit. I like the 2nd color palette and it should be bright like in the menu and it is not. The second screenshot is what i was able to get the brightness back to but the detail is just poor compared to when I first got the unit.

Well crap, I can’t attach pics bcuz they are too big.

2. Member
    Send the images to imgur.com. They'll take any size.

3. Member
    Did you update software anywhere during this process?

I had updated to 1.84 I believe it was and was worried about 1.9 from all that I was reading. It came back with 1.9.

Jim Ebarb
    Many, LA (Toledo Bend Lake)
    2004 BassCat Cougar/ 225 Optimax

Humminbird Helix 12 Mega SI on Ram Mount and Lowrance HDS 8 in dash at console
    Humminbird Helix 12 Mega DI on Balzout mount and Lowrance HDS 7 at the bow

5. Banned
    It's a PITA but if you don't have a known good transducer to test with always send the transducer back with the unit.

https://i.imgur.com/xLVP95N.png

That is what it looked like straight from the box when I got it back yesterday. When I first got it, the number 2 color palette looked like it does in the menu.

https://i.imgur.com/86DFuYK.png

That is what I was able to get it back to by adjusting. I feel like pollen is causing some graininess but the image itself is not as crisp.

https://i.imgur.com/E2FM5AO.jpg

This is the kind of image I had when I first got the unit and with no adjustments.

Am I being too critical? I don’t feel like it’s up to the standard it should be for a $2500 investment. I can’t understand why it doesn’t look as good as it did straight out of the box when I got it.
    Last edited by toledobasser; 03-29-2019 at 11:01 PM.

7. Member
    I think what your getting is the spring turn over. The mega frequency in the spring last two years running has been like that for me

But even prior to the spring, the images were really dark. I know adjusting sensitivity and contrast will brighten it up but why should we have to do that? The color palette used to show exactly as it does in the menu and looked fantastic. I bought this unit in June 2018 and 2 weeks later I lost the left SI, bought a new transducer and had dark, poor detail images ever since.

Jim Ebarb

9. Member
    I wouldn't rule out a software related issue with all the posts I've seen...LOL Might try reverting back to pre 1.84 if you have the software and didn't have a depth reading problem.
    Wes
    Helix 10 MSI+,MDI+,Ultrex IPilot
    2023 Phoenix 818
    Never assume there's a tomorrow

10. Member
    I had better si and di images prior to updating software.

Quote Originally Posted by toledobasser View Post
    But even prior to the spring, the images were really dark. I know adjusting sensitivity and contrast will brighten it up but why should we have to do that? The color palette used to show exactly as it does in the menu and looked fantastic. I bought this unit in June 2018 and 2 weeks later I lost the left SI, bought a new transducer and had dark, poor detail images ever since.
    If you don't want to have to tweak the sensitivity and contrast charts speed, etc to get the best image .... you have the wrong unit. These SI units are always going to need tweaking to fit the water conditions, bottom composition, and water depth / SI range.

It is possible that they chaged the sensitivity range with the software update, but that isn't necessarily a bad thing.

Don't think any of the Mfg make a unit that doesn't require tweaking.
    __________________________________________________ ___

**Looking for the one that makes it all worthwhile**

Units ..... 1197 (6.310) ...1198 (6.490) ... Helix 12 MSI G3N

Quote Originally Posted by Bob B View Post
    If you don't want to have to tweak the sensitivity and contrast charts speed, etc to get the best image .... you have the wrong unit. These SI units are always going to need tweaking to fit the water conditions, bottom composition, and water depth / SI range.

It is possible that they chaged the sensitivity range with the software update, but that isn't necessarily a bad thing.

I do understand that but it shouldn’t be that far out of whack. Not everyone that buys these things will understand having to tweak all the settings to be able to use them.

Quote Originally Posted by ezfishn View Post
    I wouldn't rule out a software related issue with all the posts I've seen...LOL Might try reverting back to pre 1.84 if you have the software and didn't have a depth reading problem.

I don’t know what version of software mine originally came with and the first time I updated it, it was with 1.84. I updated it after my problems began and hoped it would fix them.

Jim Ebarb

Unless you've actually been in the situation you're totally wrong my unit is doing stuff it never did before I updated to 1.9. It's definitely in the software because the Side Imaging images set on the exact same settings that I mainly use all the time are darker not as bright and have lost detail.

15. Member
    Someone on these boards was saying a while back that the updates seem to loose a little detail every time. That way when the new units come out, your imaging isn’t as good as the new units, making you want to upgrade units. It’s all theory, but I believe it. When the new mega gen twos came out, the imaging seems to have been way better than what they are now with the latest update. From what I have heard, each update makes the side imaging worse and worse.

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by idratherbeefishin View Post
    Unless you've actually been in the situation you're totally wrong my unit is doing stuff it never did before I updated to 1.9. It's definitely in the software because the Side Imaging images set on the exact same settings that I mainly use all the time are darker not as bright and have lost detail.
    Exactly !!! I have no problem with adjusting to current water and bottom composition. But when everything is good and you update to 1.9 and on same lake next day and DI/SI is so dark on any pallet it’s useless it’s not an adjustment issue. I can I can get some detail and color with sensitivity and contrast, but if you lower contrast to 1 unit locks up and reboots on its own sometime other you have to disconnect power.
    Its not a tuning issue it’s faulty software that’s not been adequately tested prior to release.
    Helix9 chirp mega si gps g2n.

17. Member
    But it *is* an adjustment issue. There was a change made to the sensitivity and contrast settings in 1.84 that made them darker by default. Try turning the sensitivity up to where you like it, then run the contrast at 1-2 higher than the sensitivity. That generally will give the best results.

And why would you ever lower contrast to 1? Lol

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by exx1976 View Post
    But it *is* an adjustment issue. There was a change made to the sensitivity and contrast settings in 1.84 that made them darker by default. Try turning the sensitivity up to where you like it, then run the contrast at 1-2 higher than the sensitivity. That generally will give the best results.

And why would you ever lower contrast to 1? Lol
    Why not when your trying to get reading that’s actually useable. And it sure shouldn’t lock up just because you set contrast to 1 in an attempt adjusting to make useable.
    I would also think factory default setting would provide pretty good clear image rather than dark cloudy display that’s not clear enough to use.
    Last edited by loganmartincat; 03-31-2019 at 12:20 PM.

The only thing I was speaking to was the expectation that no tweaking of the settings should be necessary .... That's just an unreasonable expectation.

I know there have been other issues with the newest software and the frustration with the flaky depth readings and software updates bringing on a whole new crop of problems is growing and will soon be past the tipping point unless HB gets their act together with the software updates.

It has always been my opinion that Humminbird should search for and hire the very best software people available .... pay them whatever they have to to get them and keep them happy .... give them a padded room to work in if they need it. With their superior imaging technology they could dominate the market instead of pushing people to other vendors out of frustration with software glitches. This is not a new phenomena with HB.... such as when they introduced 360 and totally destroyed their 2D performance in the process. Someone got the bright idea to change the symbols for fish ID ... that were working well .... and fish ID hasn't been as good since.
    This time they introduced mega imaging and totally messed up other things that had been working well ... such as Autochart mapping due to the unreliable depth readings....and with 1.9 a different crop of issues.

I wrote software for commercial building controls and rarely had an issue with the programs I wrote, which amazed some of the people I worked with ... It wasn't that I wrote it perfectly the first draft, it was that I tested and tweaked an tested some more and tweaked some more until I had it as bullet proof as possible .... Humminbird doesn't have enough testing and tweaking going on before they release the software.
    These units are getting more and more complex with a lot of possible configuration variables that can come into play .... There needs to be some sort of rigid testing protocol that isn't happening now.

On the other hand, there are a lot of people who seem to be able to use the mega units very effectiveley and their imaging is the best available ... and things like the 360 and trolling motor control put them way ahead of the competition when they introduced it. They just need to not mess up the other things that had been working well when they introduce something new.

**Looking for the one that makes it all worthwhile**

Units ..... 1197 (6.310) ...1198 (6.490) ... Helix 12 MSI G3N

20. Member
    We
    The only thing I was speaking to was the expectation that no tweaking of the settings should be necessary .... That's just an unreasonable expectation.

I know there have been other issues with the newest software and the frustration with the flaky depth readings and software updates bringing on a whole new crop of problems is growing and will soon be past the tipping point unless HB gets their act together with the software updates.

It has always been my opinion that Humminbird should search for and hire the very best software people available .... pay them whatever they have to to get them and keep them happy .... give them a padded room to work in if they need it. With their superior imaging technology they could dominate the market instead of pushing people to other vendors out of frustration with software glitches. This is not a new phenomena with HB.... such as when they introduced 360 and totally destroyed their 2D performance in the process. Someone got the bright idea to change the symbols for fish ID ... that were working well .... and fish ID hasn't been as good since.
    This time they introduced mega imaging and totally messed up other things that had been working well ... such as Autochart mapping due to the unreliable depth readings....and with 1.9 a different crop of issues.

I wrote software for commercial building controls and rarely had an issue with the programs I wrote, which amazed some of the people I worked with ... It wasn't that I wrote it perfectly the first draft, it was that I tested and tweaked an tested some more and tweaked some more until I had it as bullet proof as possible .... Humminbird doesn't have enough testing and tweaking going on before they release the software.
    These units are getting more and more complex with a lot of possible configuration variables that can come into play .... There needs to be some sort of rigid testing protocol that isn't happening now.

On the other hand, there are a lot of people who seem to be able to use the mega units very effectiveley and their imaging is the best available ... and things like the 360 and trolling motor control put them way ahead of the competition when they introduced it. They just need to not mess up the other things that had been working well when they introduce something new.
    Well said.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast